Cudos to Bill Mayer, I now REALLY love my GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2006, 11:39 pm Thread Starter

Cudos to Bill Mayer, I now REALLY love my GT

Just took a short 1700 mile ride on my GT with the Bill "Rocky" Mayer seat. No long per day distance (around 400 miles) but it makes BMW's so called stock seat look like the piece of crap it is. I had both the front and back seats redone in leather. Wife has not been on it yet so the verdit is still out on that, but otherwise I really enjoyed the GT for the first time! He built the front of the seat up so sliding forward is less of an issue and the foam is nice and dense for my 230' rear end. I could not make over 100 miles on the stock seat and this seat is GREAT! I was on a very short time schedule from when I sent the seat until I had to leave and Rocky came through in a big way! I cannot say enough good about his company, if you want great service and a great seat call or email Susan or Rocky at Bill Mayer seats!

PS: sorry about the crappy photos. still working on that!
RB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIF_1544.JPG
Views:	407
Size:	557.5 KB
ID:	3142   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIF_1543.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	915.5 KB
ID:	3143   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIF_1542.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	3144   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIF_1541.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	3145  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2006, 12:29 am

Sounds like your happy with the new seats.
Did you notice if the leather was any cooler VS. the vinyl ???
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2006, 2:08 am

That looks like a great seat! Did the build up of the front work as intended, and would you do it again?

BTW, what is the tank protector shown? I have been looking for one like that, but have been unable to find one.

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2006, 11:08 am
Veteran

Have you tried using your seat heater yet?

Just wondering if it is still as hot as the original?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2006, 12:54 pm

AGF,
Looks good, glad to hear you are pleased with their efforts. I've got to send mine back for a re-do by them. Hopefully they'll get it right this time.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2006, 1:50 pm
Enthusiast

Roads what did they do wrong or what don't you like about it?

06 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2006, 6:25 pm

I'll be seat shopping at CCR (Curve Cowboy Reunion) at the end of this month. Currently, I'm leaning toward a Russell...but I'll be looking at them all.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2006, 9:22 pm

sent you a....

MassGT, I sent you a private e-mail in reply to your question.
Regards
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

I have not tried the heater yet, hope it works! The heat in Iowa this summer has been miserable, now if they also made a seat cooler! I do think the leather helps a little either that or I am just used to leather seats. The main change was the density of the foam, made a big difference. The front is built up slightly higher as well, a little less sliding forward although I think it could have used more.

BnBlazer the tank protector is off an K1200S, a buddy has another K1200R one that is about the same width all the way where mine tapers. I cannot remember the brand Ztecknic?? something like that. Carbon Fiber (or look alike) installs with 3M adhesive and a hair dryer.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 9:13 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agaragefull
I have not tried the heater yet, hope it works!
I ask because mine takes a bit longer to feel the heat. I believe they bury the little gray pad with the heating wires under their pink-colored foam which means it takes longer to feel, if not sense a little less heat. It used to get really hot! Full heat now feels more like the Low setting. Maybe with a longer run it will feel hotter.

After the covering, I noticed it seemed to take maybe 20 minutes before I got the sense the heater was on (Full heat). If the little BMW heating pad was under the leather it may show through so maybe that's why it is under their thin covering layer of foam?

I do feel the leather is cooler than the vinyl, although it shows more characteristics of wrinkling, skin creases, etc. as in leather seats in general. I still think the velour seat covering is the best for comfort from the heat and sweaty butt syndrom. His brother Rick (?) Mayer in Anderson, CA does the velour top as does Russell (my old RT seat) located a few miles north in Lake Shasta, CA.

I wish I had set the seat on the lowest position before they began since their foam seat builds up the height maybe 1/2-1 inch. Leaving it on the highest setting causes them to shave more foam off their molded foam core. It might also have provided some extra push-back from the tank should I wish to raise it up to the next level. Overall, I don't tend to scoot to the tank now so I guess they nailed it.

I did take my time and rode it before they covered it with leather and I was pretty picky this time. Last time I wasn't so picky and I paid for it in the end (so to speak!) and I had the seat on the highest setting (again!) when Russell did it. I could bearley touch the gorund on the Russell on the high setting. I never can remember to lower it before a re-work.

I thought Mayer's "Keep your hands on the bars, close your eys, remove your hands and drop them to the sides, and see if you feel the tendency to lean forward or back" was pretty interesting as they searched for a neutral position (neither falling forward or back). Seems my bar's grips are a bit too far forward too (Heli-Bars maybe?).

I did see why the BMW seat was so uncomfortable. The way the pan is made, the foam is thin at the outer edges and most all of the remaining foam is moved to the center portion of the seat. It gives that "sitting on a basketball" sensation which gets a bit annoying after a while by pressing everywhere it shouldn't.

For anyone comtemplating a custom saddle, it behoves you to do the ride-in fitment if at all possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode