GT vs. S Last minute "Cold Feet" - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 12:47 pm Thread Starter

GT vs. S Last minute "Cold Feet"

Looking for inputs both for or against...

I'm scheduled to pick up my GT this Friday, and am having last minute questions on whether I should go with an "S" instead. Background...

I am a "aging" (read 35+) WERA/CCS road racer, with an tendency for sport riding. Have a few sport bikes (race), and have owned a BMW GS in a fashion or another for about 15 years. I have been looking for a "Sport-touring" bike for a while, and after some contemplation last year, and riding an ST1300, I purchased an 2005 BMW R1200RT, with all the reviews saying how "sporty" it was for a big bike. I was disappointed. From the beginning it was far off a "SPORT-tourer", but a fantastic touring machine. After two 1000+ mile trips, the bike did not "grow" on me, and luckily I was able to sell it privately for only a small loss.

Fast forward...

After seeing a K1200GT at Daytona, and after some deliberation, I put a deposit on one, and am supposed to pick it up this week. I have not ridden one, but have heard great things about it, have sat on it etc... I have experience with ESA and the techno stuff, and am comfortable with the details. Last minute thoughts are my issue. Since they share basically the same platform suspension etc... is the K1200GT a 90% (except top speed I know that) bike compared to the K1200S (i.e. it will do 90% of the sport riding of the S) and if not, how far off is it? Otherwise, how good a "Sport tourer" is the K1200S? I'm leaning toward the GT, but want to make sure I'm not dissatisfied like I was with the RT.

Thanks, Walt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 1:24 pm
Addict

i think the best advise that anyone can give you is to test ride both of them and then make your decision. everyone has there reasons for buying one bike over another so you'll get many different opinions but in the end what best meets your expectations will be the best bike for you. i purchased the "S" because I'm more on the sport side of touring and all i take is day trips less than 300 miles. if you're more touring than sport go with the GT. if you ride two up a lot without a doubt go with the GT. the "S", at least for me, sucks big time riding two up because my girlfriend slides down into me forcing me into the gas tank making for a very uncomfortable ride.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 1:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueNrth
Looking for inputs both for or against...

I'm scheduled to pick up my GT this Friday, and am having last minute questions on whether I should go with an "S" instead. Background...

I am a "aging" (read 35+) WERA/CCS road racer, with an tendency for sport riding. Have a few sport bikes (race), and have owned a BMW GS in a fashion or another for about 15 years. I have been looking for a "Sport-touring" bike for a while, and after some contemplation last year, and riding an ST1300, I purchased an 2005 BMW R1200RT, with all the reviews saying how "sporty" it was for a big bike. I was disappointed. From the beginning it was far off a "SPORT-tourer", but a fantastic touring machine. After two 1000+ mile trips, the bike did not "grow" on me, and luckily I was able to sell it privately for only a small loss.

Fast forward...

After seeing a K1200GT at Daytona, and after some deliberation, I put a deposit on one, and am supposed to pick it up this week. I have not ridden one, but have heard great things about it, have sat on it etc... I have experience with ESA and the techno stuff, and am comfortable with the details. Last minute thoughts are my issue. Since they share basically the same platform suspension etc... is the K1200GT a 90% (except top speed I know that) bike compared to the K1200S (i.e. it will do 90% of the sport riding of the S) and if not, how far off is it? Otherwise, how good a "Sport tourer" is the K1200S? I'm leaning toward the GT, but want to make sure I'm not dissatisfied like I was with the RT.

Thanks, Walt
I picked the K12S over the GT because I wanted a comfortable sportsbike. A sportsbike I can take to the track. And I can easily spend a whole day (500 miles) on the S. It's just as comfortable for me as the "old" K12GT.

The new K12GT is a strong, very powerfull and capable tourer. But it's not a sportsbike.

Good luck

/Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 1:38 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

I forgot to add..

I never ride with a pillion, but wind protection is important, as I have four racetracks within 4 hours, but any twisty roads worth riding are about 350 miles away.

Still deciding...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 1:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueNrth
Thanks guys,

I forgot to add..

I never ride with a pillion, but wind protection is important, as I have four racetracks within 4 hours, but any twisty roads worth riding are about 350 miles away.

Still deciding...
Re. wind protection.

This is tricky.

If it's because of wind noise the lower screen on the S create much cleaner air and a much more quiet ride. At least compared to my old GT. I even ordered a lower sports screen for my S. Try to stand up on any bike and put your head in the clean air and you understand ;.)

If it's because of protection from the weather then the GT is much better (I guess). So was the old GT. In rain I get much more weth on the S. ;-(

The wind pressure is not significant different between the S and the GT below 80-90 mph. Above 100 - 120 mph the wind pressure on the S, especially on the shoulders, is heavy.

On a long 300+ miles day I therefore travel below 100 mph.

/Michael
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 2:24 pm
Addict

I'm kind of in the same quandry.

I test rode the S this past weekend. I love the styling, but the ergos were a little more extreme than I thought. I found the heals of my hands hurting after as short ride. So, now I want to try a GT.

Another thing I'm looking at is adding the bags to the S. That's an added cost. And silly me, I want a center stand - added cost on the S. No cruise available on the S, a downside. Bar riser? Another cost. Heck, by the time I get the S where I want it, I'll be at the price of a GT - or darn close to it.

I figure the way I ride, either or would work. Just gotta find a GT for a test ride now.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 2:26 pm
Addict

oops, just realized I didn't have the sig setup.....

Sorry about that.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 3:21 pm

I sold my Ninja ZX-11 and my K1200LT to get the GT. Basically, you can sum up my reasoning like this. I wanted one bike that would merge the two philosophies. I wanted a long-distance tourer that was focused on SPORT! The GT has fulfilled my desire. In fact, it has surpassed it! I rode my ZX-11 800 miles/day, but the fatigue from being beaten up by the wind was not fun. The LT was great, but I simply got tired of scraping hardware in every turn. The GT has AMAZING wind protection (with the Cee Bailey's shield), and is great in the twisties. In fact, I can ride the GT way quicker than I could my ZX-11.

I wouldn't even try to compare the GT to your R1200RT. They are worlds apart! I would not be happy on an RT either.

As for the 'S', I just wouldn't want to ride it more than 400 miles a day tops. And my riding style dictates that I cover more than that per day. So the GT wins hands-down.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 7:52 pm Thread Starter

Thanks M13 and all...

Thats kinda what I was looking for, I want to be able to ride hard sporting (80+%) when I'm on the twisty's, and as long as the K1200GT will do about 90% of the S, I think that's about right. When I want to ride harder I'll take the race bikes to the track...Although the KS is gorgeous.

WJL
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 8:33 pm
Enthusiast

Two words: Test ride.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode