Comfort Seat? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2006, 1:04 am Thread Starter
Addict

Comfort Seat?

Help! As most now know, I pick up my 06 KGT in the morning. A good friend with good intentions dropped off his August 2006 Motorcycle Consumer News that had a head-to-head comparison of the Yamaha FJR1300AE and the K1200GT. Overall the report was what I would expect and the gave the Yamaha the nod by a narrow margin, mostly because of the KGT's cost.

My question is about the seat. It was heavily criticized for being uncomfortable and they recommended the "comfort" seat. :wtf Ok..I give up...what's the comfort seat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2006, 1:25 am
Addict

On older bikes, there was an option for a "comfort seat" There is no such seat for the GT. The only other seat available is a "low" seat. There has been some discussion that the low seat is a bit more comfortable as it is a gel type material, but it still sucks.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2006, 1:37 am Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks Benicia. I was afraid that might be the case. I haven't even ridden the KGT yet so I'll wait until I know first hand if the seat is a problem for me but it isn't unusual for me to log 600 mile plus days when I take a trips up through Canada. I'll find out soon if I'm I need to find an aftermarket seat as I'm riding to Devil's Tower from Portland, OR next month. :o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2006, 1:47 am
Addict

John,

I gave it as good a try as I could, and I've done about an 800 or so mile day on it, but trust me, you'll need a new one probably. I thought I could break in my butt to the seat, but now that I have, I realized last week that it isn't possible for me. I've put 10,500 miles on the beast in 6 weeks, and I love the bike, but the seat has to go. (If I keep it...That is another story and I am seriously considering selling it or driving it over a BMW "person in charge" somewhere.)

I'll get to that story some day soon when I have time...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2006, 1:49 am
I'm riding

The forum was divided into two groups: one( overwhelming) - those who did not accept the stock seat; the other - those who found it O.K. upon riding 600 miles. I stay with the second section. Just do not harry to order an aftermarket seat - ride your 600 mi! :-)))

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2006, 7:44 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
The forum was divided into two groups: one( overwhelming) - those who did not accept the stock seat; the other - those who found it O.K. upon riding 600 miles. I stay with the second section. Just do not harry to order an aftermarket seat - ride your 600 mi! :-)))
I'm with Easyman. There does seem to be differing opinions. I have the "low" seat option and have put in several 800 mile days. I have NO complaint. The standard seat was not as comfortable. I also tend to ride in more of a "sport" orientation. There are some who ride more "leisurely" and I've reached the conclusion that as a group they seem to be the ones complaining the loudest. This group would also tend to navigate towards a "Russell-style" seat.

To each his own. Don't sweat the seat until you've tried it yourself. But personally, I would tell the dealer you do want the "low" seat option at the time of purchase (no extra cost).

BTW, I've followed MCN for some time and feel there is some unusual inconsistencies in their reporting. Dave Searle especially seems to have a "new" hate-on for BMW for some reason. They fail to mention the obvious differences in build quality and component/material quality.

cheers,

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2006, 8:58 am
Veteran

I didn't get the MCN article either. Examples:

The FJR has a very wimpy stator output if you like to add extras like lighting, electric clothing, etc. Very good to have more umph! for touring. Almost a 2:1 win for the BMW over the FJR with regards to watts.

MCN didn't care for the suspension as much? Didn't get that either as Fred Rau (another Moto journalist) said he was dragging his elbows on cornering. Then Fred said out of 300 test bikes he's ridden, the GT is in his top five. No dragging stuff in corners is very nice.

ESA is a pure win over the FJR.

No mention of the niceties, one verses the other, like cruise control, heated seats, on-board computer.

And what was the omission to power about? The BMW is FASTER! (which is surprising as BMW is 100 cc smaller and has never been big in the speed department verses Yamaha. With the wimpy alternator in the Yamaha (which should translate to higher hp numbers), what's wrong with the Yamaha powerplant?

I agree about Searle having something bugging him about BMW. If he could lambaste anything wrong with the marquee, it should be BMW-NA and their poor (i.e. sparse) dealer network.

.... but then again, he could have lambasted Yamaha for lack of dealers' having one to ride nor being able to just go in and buy one without having to pre-order and wait for it to show up. Price differential? More goodies = more wampum. I'd rather have a Viper over a Vette too.

Fwiw, the seemingly low numbers of GT's out there (<500 in U.S) is probably more than the number of new '06 FJR's running around. Never seen the AE (paddle shifter model) silver one running around. I did run into one Oz rider of standard-shift one and he wished he had waited for the GT.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:58 am
Just saying hey

I have logged 2000 miles on my GT, 1500 with bars in the high position and a tall shield. The last 500 miles have been a joy with the bars all the way down and the short shield installed. The seat has been in the low position the entire time. With the bars down, my hips rotated forward and the seat became a non issue. The bike handles more intuitivley, and at 5-11, my head is in a clean airsream. A remarkable improvement over the K12 RS!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2006, 8:26 pm Thread Starter
Addict

First, I picked up my 06 CGM KGT and all I can say right now WOOHOO!

Second, I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only one put off by the MCN article. Not knowing who's reading my posts and the new guy I was trying to be PC. BUT I felt that the article was unfairly biased to Yamaha. In the summary it was Yamaha is good and BMW is just ok. Go figure.

I'm 5'11" 180 lbs. and the first hundred miles was with the bars full up and seat down. The seat was not the greatest so I moved the seat up only and another 30 miles this seems to be working. I'll find out this weekend I'll try to rack up a couple of hundred miles. Otherwise the bike is absolutely fantastic!

I'll start a new thread with some pictures this weekend for those interested. And would like to hear more feedback on the MCN article too. New thread on this anyone?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2006, 9:25 am

I'm 6 foot tall and I use the low position and the handlebars half way down. The seat becomes
bareable, but only just. The problem in Euope is that all seat manufacturers are in the States.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode