European delivery-purchase? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:18 am Thread Starter

European delivery-purchase?

I am , interested in purchasing a new BMW in Germany and riding it in europe for awhile and then being able to bring it back to the states! I know the BMW website says they have no other markets that have "US" spec bikes!!
Anyway, just looking for some advice from people who have done this, I know I could probably buy a used bike and re-sell it for a loss!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2006, 2:33 pm
Addict

i've known people who were in the military and purchased cars/bikes overseas and then had them shipped to the US. It's possible but I don't know what hoops you have to go through to get it done.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2006, 6:45 pm
Rookie

seems like that program was killed!
http://www.bmwmoa.org/global/ToEurope.htm

THE EUROPEAN DELIVERY PROGRAM

The BMW corporate-administered program offering European delivery of new USA or CDN-specification BMW motorcycles to civilian customers ended in 1993; its continuation by BMW dealer BMWNY ended in 1998. US citizens are also not allowed to order US-spec BMW motorcycles directly from European BMW dealers for European delivery. The only exception is that US armed forces personnel in Europe may be able to purchase US-spec BMWs for European delivery by special order through the BMW subsidiary of the country where they're stationed, or through specialty agents in Europe such as www.pentagoncarsales.com.

IMPORTING EURO-SPEC BMWs TO USA

Motorcycles are originally manufactured to safety & emissions specifications that differ between Europe, USA, Canada, and other world markets. BMWs built for original sale in Europe can be legally imported into, & re-titled/registered in the USA, but only if first 'conformed', that is changed to meet US DOT & EPA requirements. To conform a Euro-spec BMW to US-spec is complicated, expensive & time-consuming enough that (together with transatlantic shipping cost) it is not cost-effective or recommended under most circumstances. NOTE: these rules apply only to Euro-spec bikes imported to the US with the purpose of 'permanent' re-registration in the US; personally-owned bikes brought to the US by non-resident Europeans for 'temporary' touring up to 12 months are NOT subject to these rules.

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode