Garmin 2820 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2006, 11:55 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Garmin 2820

Hello
As i get increasingly excited about my K1200GT SE arriving [ 1st Sept ] i decided to get my GPS sorted for our trip to Europe on the 8th September. After not being able to choose between the Garmin 2820 & the BMW Nav iii i decided to choose the Garmin mainly because i wasn't able to get anyone to persuaded me that the BMW one was worth the extra money. So i ordered one with a mounting bracket from off the internet , everything seemed ok but upon printing off my receipt i noticed it said '' Garmin do not recommend this for use on a motorcycle due to vibration effect on internal hard drive'' ?

I spoke to the seller and she was as suprised by this as well. Can anyone help me and tell me surely the Garmin 2820 is safe to use on a motorcycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2006, 12:37 pm
Veteran

I'm surprised that the memo said that it was not recommended for use on a motorcycle.

According to paragraph 7 on Garmin's site on the 2820, it says it's for use in a car or motorcycle. Link: Garmin 2820
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2006, 2:53 pm

Cool i wouldn't worry.

I wouldn't worry you are not on a Harley-Just Joking. Someone Correct me if i am wrong but i am not sure you can buy a new Garmain that uses a memory card. In my humble opinion, This is the greatest gadget you can add to a touring machine.( Besides a radar detector so you still have a lisc). You can use a number of different devices to run the sound to your helmet andThis way you can get talking instructions.

Retroboy

Retroboy
2007 k1200 GT-Dark Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 12:23 am

Smile it works fine

I have the Garmin 2820, with XM radio. I'm very happy with the product. I have ridden approx 2000 miles with it on my new GT and haven't had any problems. It has been through rain, and has been great. I researched this product for awhile and bought when it first became available for the primary use to be on the motorcycle. At Garmin web sight it does state for motorcycles/cars.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 12:27 pm

XM and bt

Do you have anything to say about its xm and bt capabilities? Do you really need a 250 dollar antenna for the xm?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 1:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkelly
Do you have anything to say about its xm and bt capabilities? Do you really need a 250 dollar antenna for the xm?
i have the garmin 376C....
also with XM
it is WORTH any amount of money
the reception is perfect... and once you have XM (or sirius) you'll never go back to radio again
to be able to listen to the same station coast-to-coast is a small modern miracle, in my estimation
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 3:01 pm
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPYDAVID
I have the Garmin 2820, with XM radio. I'm very happy with the product. I have ridden approx 2000 miles with it on my new GT and haven't had any problems. It has been through rain, and has been great. I researched this product for awhile and bought when it first became available for the primary use to be on the motorcycle. At Garmin web sight it does state for motorcycles/cars.
+1

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 3:07 pm

+2!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode