R1200RT-vs-K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2006, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

R1200RT-vs-K1200GT

Has anyone had a chance to ride both the R1200RT and K1200GT for city and long distances??? What is your opinion of each for comparison???
I know there are some R1200RTīs on the market for much less than the GT right now.
I have a K1200S and really dont want 2 K bikes, and need something for 2 up, and would like some good opinions now that the GT has been out awhile.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 1:04 am

I have a GT with 4,500 miles on it. Just got back from a 2,000 miles ride thru Northen Calif. on a new rented RT from Dubbleju in San Francisco. Great people! Rode many miles thru calif twisties on the RT. Great bike, but I was wishing I had the GT. No comparison; the GT does almost everything better. Under 20 MPH the RT is smoother; after that the GT owns all the roads and all the conditions. This GT is my 3rd. K bike. had an 85' K1000, a 94' K1100. This is the very best. Also own a 76' R90/6. Just an old sweetheart, i cannot part with.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 3:56 am

I exchanged a r1200rt for the gt. Apart from engine power the most noticeable fact is the
smoothness of the four cylinder, especially starting off in trafic. Driveability on the twisties
is also improved.What can I say...they're both great bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 9:53 am

I really don't see how a 'K' owner and/or lover could appreciate the R1200RT. Then again, the only boxer I appreciate is the GS. That motor just seems to "work" on that bike, and for that platform. But for the superslab and tarmac twisties...give me a 'K'!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:10 am
Telepathetic

The RT is a very good bike. I was prepared to buy one until the rumors started about the GT. I am glad I waited. If cost is not an issue, get the GT. Gobs of power even when riding 2 up and full bags, smooooooth, very nice handling. I don't think the GT offers as much weather/wind protection as the RT with the stock screen and for me the seat is just barely adequate, I will be changing it.
Good luck with your decision.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960apache
Has anyone had a chance to ride both the R1200RT and K1200GT for city and long distances??? What is your opinion of each for comparison???
I know there are some R1200RTīs on the market for much less than the GT right now.
I have a K1200S and really dont want 2 K bikes, and need something for 2 up, and would like some good opinions now that the GT has been out awhile.
Thanks
My wife just traded her '06 R1200RT, less than nine months old, with about 11k miles on it for an '06 GT yesterday. She really liked her RT until she rode my GT. After that, it was only a matter of time. She took a beating trading that soon, but she felt that it was well worth it.

The GT is just so much more nimble, smoother, and just feels so "right". The RT is a good bike, but she's only owned four and six cylinder bikes before, and just couldn't deal with the twin cylinder vibration. She said it "felt" slow too, although it isn't slow at all. The GT is so much quicker its stunning, your K1200S probably even more so. I'd suggest a really long, extended test ride, before buying an RT.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 12:01 pm

RT v GT

This is a question that's on many minds....... I sold my 12RT to get the GT and in all aspects but one I perfer the GT.

The seat on the GT is just plain BAD...at least on the RT it was OK....I hope to get this fixed via Russell's saddle magic.

Both bikes do Sport-Touring or Touring-Sport well....the GT just can do it at Hype Speed and without effort as the RT tends to stain, just a bit. to kept up.

For a more relaxed ride then I must say the RT is the ticket, especially if you already have a K1200S.

For me I'd have my GT and for a 2nd BMW I'd go with the R1200GS Adv.... that would make for a sweet garage.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 12:03 pm

I traded a 2005 R!200RT for the 2006GT. Why did I trade?

I have ridden boxers for many years. In fact when I came back to motorcycling I started riding a K1100LT. I quickly realized that motorcycle was not for me. I traded for a R1150RT 2002. I rode that a couple of years and then bought a R1200RT after a test ride. The difference between the R1200RT and the R1150RT was night and day.

While I owned the R1150RT I watched BMW release the original K1200GT. To me it was just the K1200RS with some plastic and a lot less usable luggage space. I dismissed the bike and happily upgraded to the R1200RT.

I bought the R1200Rt in April of 2005. It was one of the early bikes where ESA was not available. I put 20,000 miles on it--6,200 of it crossing the United States from California to Virginia and back again. Yes, there were some detours along the way!

The R1200RT is an outstanding bike for putting on miles. It is also fun in the twisties. It is a true sit up and beg riding bike and is designed to eat the miles. I was happy.

Then the K1200GT came out.

I fell in love--even when I bought my first RT I really wanted a K-type engine in it. The boxer is all about understanding where power comes on by learning how to keep the engine rev's in the zone. You'll find on a boxer that once you learn to ride it you'll be able to keep up with most folks.

I traded the RT for the K. The storage situation is the same as it was on the RT. In fact I kept the big tail box from my RT to put it on the GT.

What is different? Well the power. The K1200GT has insane power.

Other diferences include the riding position. The GT riding position is a bit more forward than that of the RT. You can make it even more aggressive if you like by adjusting the handle bars--something you can't do on the RT.

I'd say my only complaint about the GT is the seat. I don't think anyone intended for us to ride on that seat for any length of time. I am sure aftermarket seats will be my solution to that problem.

So I put it like this--

- Both are great bikes.

- I think the RT is more touring than the GT.

- I think the GT is more sport than the RT.

- I think both are great at both sport and touring.

- Engine power is in the GT court.

- Maintenance cost--GT hands down. The RT requires a 6,000 mile valve adjustment. There is no getting around that. That is a $350 hit. The GT doesn't need the valves adjusted that often (at all?)

- Smoothness of ride? GT. Though if you get the RT make sure you get ESA.

I am happy with my choice in the GT. It is by far the most happy I have ever been with a motorcycle. The RT is a fantastic bike. Ride both--then decide.

-mark=
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 12:09 pm

Reuben - You need to change your sig...it says "R1200GT" not K.
I rented a R1200RT in California (Long Beach BMW not Dubbelju, but W is a great guy and I rent from him whenever I'm in SF and have a chance to ride) with the idea that it was going to be the bike and a long test ride (2000 mi over 3 days in N and S California) would be the proving ground. What I found I did not like (and I know this sounds weird) was that is is too faired...too much protection particularly when it's hot. The GT's smaller fairing suits me much better, a bit more breeze (note that my other bike is a GS with almost no fairing...may explain it), but when we had 4 days of rain in Vermont and Canada last month, it was perfect (with the screen up more) and I'm happy as a clam .
Yeah, the K is smoother and more power too, but the RT has plenty of guts and a MORE COMFORTABLE SADDLE (!!), but the K suits me better.
There's my evaluation/comparion and $0.02 US worth,
Greg
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 12:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC
Reuben - You need to change your sig...it says "R1200GT" not K.......
Greg
Done and thanks! I'm such a noob, hard to believe i'm an "old guy"!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode