06 K1200GT First Long Ride Report - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 1:08 am Thread Starter
Addict

Thumbs up 06 K1200GT First Long Ride Report

As promised, here's a report on the first real ride on my KGT. It is still has less than 600 miles on it so I wasn't able to air it out yet and my first service is scheduled in two weeks so I'll do a follow-up once I'm able to finally uncork the engine. But on with today.

Today I rode about 250 miles round trip from Portland, Or to Detroit Lake in 95 degree heat. This trip was two up with the top case. The engine is absolutely fantastic. Even though I keep the rpm's below 5000 for most of the trip the engine pulls effortlessly. We traveled on about 100 miles of twisty asphalt and the bike just eats the corners up. In fact the bike is so smooth and effortless you can get in over your head pretty damn quick if you're not careful. I have the tall windscreen and near as I can tell it's almost perfect for both my wife and I. Fully retracted we get air but no turbulance off highway. In the thick of it on the highway, crank the screen up some cuts most of the SUV and heavy truck turbulance with very little helmet buffeting. And I can still see over the top of the windscreen. Absolutely no heat from the engine or exhaust even in traffic. The ESA works as advertised and the on board computer system is great.

Now for the bad news. I'm in the 50% group that thinks the seat has just got to go. After 75 miles my butt was screaming for relief and it didn't matter where I moved on the saddle it didn't help. It feels like the padding wants to constantly roll your butt forward towards the tank causing your pants to pull on your tender back side. This is bad enough but throw in a really hot day and this is far from acceptable. New seat is on my list. Next is the handle bar position. I have my handle bars all the way up and right now that seems ok but what isn't ok is the angle of the grips. The grips are too flat or straight out from each other. This is causing extra pressure on the outside of my palms. I would like to be able to angle them in slightly for a more natural grip posture. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Other than the above this is an incredible machine. I averaged 50 mph and I wasn't going slow. Great bike. I think I'll keep it. Oh and by-the-way. I'm going on a 3200 mile ride next months so I'm taking my bicycle shorts with gel pads. That should do the trick until I get my Corbin or Sargent replacement!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 4:04 am

Smile

Try and stick with the seat for a bit longer. I am on 2000 miles now and it's much better. I would happily do 400 - 500 mile days now. If you want to do 800+ mile days that might be a different story.

Brian
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 9:49 am

Turning 6K yesterday, I am convinced that a new seat is going to happen. And the sooner the better. Friday, I put on about 600 miles and it was OK. But a new seat sure would've made the day more enjoyable at times. I found myself wanting to take a break for my butt's sake, while the rest of me was saying, "DON'T STOP! DON'T STOP!".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:52 am Thread Starter
Addict

I'll try to be patient with the seat and see what happens. I just hate being held back because of a comfort issue.

And in my typing haste I made a mistake in my original post. I meant to say that I got 50 mpg not mph. Anything close to 50 mpg is impressive from a 152 hp engine pushing a big bike like the KGT!

I've still got a lot to learn and the tips and tricks on this forum are the greatest!

Thanks to all you.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:57 am

The longest trip I've taken is 2600 miles and the seat is being replaced tomorrow! A local pro who has a booming internet business for Urals and other sidehacks is doing it and I'll do a full report with pics later this week. I have no issue with the handlebars and on the long trip I was getting 50-52 mpg (60-80 mph); in town it drops to 40 mpg.
Cheers, Greg
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:59 am
Statmaster

Try the 14" x 14" beaded seatcover. You can get it from www.motolight.com or www.beadrider.com

It makes the seat tolerable and will suffice until you get a custom seat.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode