So excited (newbie post) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 5:13 am Thread Starter

So excited (newbie post)

Yesterday (Saturday) I placed my deposit on a blue K1200GT SE. Delivery date 1st September. Can't wait to pick it up although the weather in southern UK has turned awful!

Traded my 24 month old K1200RS with 25k miles. Got a good P/X so very happy.

This forum looks like a great place, but I wonder how many members are in the UK?

A question if I may...

My KRS had a pyramid plastics hugger which I fitted on day 1. Do you think these new GTs require the same and if so where can I source? What does the lower end of the shock look like after a few thousand miles?

Happy riding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 7:47 am
Rookie

Hi
I'm from the uk as well, bit new to this forum as well but it's great for any help or questions that you may have. You're lucky not having to wait long from order to delivery, as i've been waiting since June for my K12 to arrive and i'm picking mine up the same day. It's been murder waiting for the bike to arrive especially with the excellent recent weather in the uk.

Anyway all the best

Great riding

Tim
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 8:40 am

Congrats to you both!

I think you'll find a wealth of info around here, Let us know when your bikes arrive.
Absolutely the best motorcycle I have ever had the pleasure of ridding.
The wait will be worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 8:47 am
Statmaster

You might check with Pirate.

http://piratesk12site.net/ProductGT.htm

Looks like Pack Parts is coming out with a carbon fiber hugger

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 9:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdouggt
What does the lower end of the shock look like after a few thousand miles?
Just turned 6K yesterday (in my 7th week of ownership) and went out to the garage to take a look. The rear shock is doing just fine without a hugger. BMW has done a pretty good job with the OEM setup. Not much dirt can get to it really. I'm not sure a hugger's necessary. But, they may be a subjective thing.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:49 am

Sudden increase in UK GT Owners

Welcome to the forum. I'm also hoping to pick up my new GT (CGM) on 1 Sep, having traded in my LT. Seems there's going to be a sudden increase in the number of UK GTs on the roads in the South around that time.

Whereabouts in Southern England are you, and which dealer are you using? Just curious. I use CW Motorcycles in Dorchester - fabulous dealer, very helpful.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 8:22 am Thread Starter

Still excited!

I was lucky as my dealer (SPC Alton Hampshire) had pre-ordered the bike. I came into the deal around 2 weeks prior to delivery.

I have specified the 49 litre top-box and a non- BMW alarm system as extras. Moved the price up a bit but I think it will be worth it.

The test ride was fantastic. The bike feels and rides like it weighs 25% less than my old KRS. Not too sure about the clunky gearchange and 'jolt' between deccelaration and accelaration. Will have to monitor as the mileage increases.

Will post an image or two when I have picked her up.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 9:16 am

Welcome to the forum. Great place to hang out.

To answer your question:

During my recent tour of Spain/Portugal and France we encountered a fair bit of rain through the Picos mountains and after examining the bike, my and my pillions boots I have decided that it really does need a rear hugger. I think it's the fact that the fat rear tyre throws up so much water and debris it gets flung about the bike, the riders and exhaust. Such a pain to clean!

My dealership (North Oxford Garage) sell CF ones for about 180 and I plan to purchase one asap as well as a front fender extender as soon as I find someone that makes one.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:45 am Thread Starter

Cheers for the information

Like you, I believe a hugger improves the 'spray management' of the bike.

I travel up on the a34 quite often and will call in next time and order one.

Rgds
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 12:14 pm

Smile Welcome to the forum

Good to hear so many guys from the South of England are now getting their new GTs. FWIW I bought mine from North Oxford Garage in May after shooing away my Blackbird ( sigh!!) I have done over 3500 miles now and still delighted, apart from low speed fuelling issues. NOG say they hope to get the software upgrade soon ( some peoples definition of soon doesn't match mine!) so hope the bike will be even better after upgrade. Don't think I need a hugger yet, but will wait until Winter takes a hold, then decide.

Enjoy,

Terry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode