Driving Lights? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 9:05 am Thread Starter

Driving Lights?

Any news on the driving lights front? I want to get a set, and am not completely sold on the Motolight caliper mount yet. I really wish that there would be a PIAA set up for mounting in the nose under the headlight.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 9:36 am

Today, I'm FINALLY getting around to installing my caliper-mount MotoLights. I really want them more for the bike's visibilty...rather than more light-output for my sake. I'm very happy with the low beams on the GT. And when the Xenon option become available here in the states, I'll think about upgrading then.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:36 am
Enthusiast

moto

I installed the Moto's on my GT for primarily the same reason as you Messsenger - I want to be seen. I upgraded the bulbs to 55w which makes the lights much brighter and whiter. I have had more drivers and other cyclists tell me how visible this makes the bike.

I had Piaa's on my old GT. I do think that they were a bit better at lighting up the road at night but they did not stand out anywhere near as much as the Moto's during the daylight, which is when I spend most of my time on my bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 12:09 pm

driving lights....

I had the Piaa 1100x units on my 12RT and liked them but if my personal best choice I'm changing out the H7 on the GT to Piaa Super Whites and I'm adding the Moto-Lights caliper mounted with yellow bulbs.

This in my opinion gives better visibility to other drivers "of me".

I've found I do my best NOT to ride in the evening or at night. There's great safety in slowing down at these times of the day; ie critters out and road conditions vs trying to stay at a daytime pace.

Just my .02
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 12:11 pm
Veteran

I looked at the under the headlight/cowling mount as well for the PIAAs. I don't think it is going to happen with that air intake being there. I thought being higher would be more useful as the fork mounts often got oncoming traffic flipping their high beams at me.

I too went with the caliper-mount Motolights on the GT. I had them on my old RT and they never burned a lamp out in 8 years of use. If they had, Motolight had a free replacement offer although Home Depot had the lamps as well for a very cheap price. The Motolights are very well made though and the brushed (cheaper) aluminum style looks good on the forks.

I do know I am not impressed with having the Auto-Switch installed. It requires you to flip on the high beam for a couple of seconds and then press it again to flip the Motolights on or off. It disturbs oncoming traffic as you trigger the Auto-Switch to turn the Motos on or off by flashing your high beams. Wish I had the Euroswitch option as the RT for them. Oh, well....
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 9:57 pm
Addict-oholic

Where have you placed the switch for the motolights, as well as where you tapped in for the voltage for the relay ?????
I took my motolights off my krs and purchasaed the kit to adapt them to my GT..
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
Where have you placed the switch for the motolights, as well as where you tapped in for the voltage for the relay ?????
I have decided to install my MotoLights without any switch. I see no reason to ever turn them off.

My relay is controlled by the parking light.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:18 pm

Must agree with Mess13 that I never turn them off, but I do have a switch tucked down in the fairing to do so if I wish.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 5:59 am

though i would never turn them off when riding

there have been a couple of times when i had the power ON on the bike, but NOT started... like when i was messing with my GPS, etc... and i did NOT want the current draw of the motolights on the battery...
so, switched them off for a moment... when the bike was stationary

so, for me... a switch is something that CAN be useful on occasion
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 8:33 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
...so, for me... a switch is something that CAN be useful on occasion
hmmm......

I'm wondering how the charging system will favor running the aux. lights with the heated clothing of winter?

I just realized, from purusing the Gerbing site, my electrical heated clothing is gonna cost me around 14 amps (socks, pants, jacket, and gloves). Seeing that the GT's power outlets are only 8 amps total (I've got two so that makes it 4+4), I'm thinking the CAN-Bus is gonna shut down on me. I've had suspicions that it already has with the gloves and jacket - almost like it heats up and shuts down and then warms up again?? Might be the excuse for firmware Update 7.0?? (although it still isn't enough amps, it'll be an excuse to avoid paying for the bloody thing)

Might need to add a Powerlet.com socket to that third hole? I see they're rated for 15 amps. Might get the Battery Tender to work again too.

That alternator in the GT is what kept me from going to the Yami FJR1300. The FJR wouldn't handle the heated clothing.

Winter's a commin'..... Got amps?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode