First GT road trip - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

First GT road trip

I just returned from a 1760 mile tour around Lake Huron on my new GT. I have a total of 3200 miles on the bike thus far and I ride solo almost exclusively.

My loop started here in Green Bay, WI and headed north to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I rode along Lake Superior for a short spell and then crossed into Canada in Sault Ste. Marie. This then took me around the North Channel of Lake Huron and into Sudbury, Ont. Then south to Parry Sound, Ont., and from there, I followed the coastline until I crossed back into Port Huron, MI. I stayed along the western coast of Lake Huron in Lower Michigan until I crossed back into the U.P. via the Mackinac Bridge, which was spectacular.

Overall the trip was great. The on-board computer tells me that I averaged 48miles per gallon. I had plenty of time (six days) to sight-see, so I wasn't pounding out too many huge days. This turned out to be a good thing since my ass bones did not like the seat for long stretches. I'm glad to hear that others have been experiencing the same unfortunate negative effects with this stock seat. I'm only 5'6" and weigh 135, so I normally ride with the seat in the low position and the ESA setting at the lowest pre-ride position. Mid-way through the trip I decided to put the seat in the "up" position and this seemed to help a bit on the butt, but not a cure. I'm reading carefully all the threads relative to aftermarket seats. I'm also going to invest in the Heli product to have the controls/handlebars closer to the rider. This is a minor thing, but anything to get me a bit more upright should be an improvement. I also invested in a Garmin 2730 gps with the xm satellite radio. I love this product. I could not believe how accurate this device was and how it could direct me to such things as hotels and restaurants. The hotel feature came in handy most nights. And riding while listening to whatever I want is great.

The only mechanical issue I had was with the passenger seat locking mechanism. I needed to lock my helmet utilizing the cable under the passenger seat and when I went to put the seat back down, the latching mechanism was "frozen" in the open position. It would not close back until I loosened both screw heads on either side of the latch and wiggled it free. Even the key wouldn't go into the key hole properly during this stuck period. Only a minor inconvenience, but not what I wanted to deal with.

Otherwise, like everyone else, I love this bike. The power and handling are brilliant. I bought this bike to be my powerfull and smooth touring bike and it has been great except for the seat. I'm sure that this problem will be solved in time with more breaking-in or a new seat.

I'm looking forward to my next tour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 5:47 pm

Hey, I'm not alone in NE Wisconsin after all!

Sounds like a great ride. Just don't tell too many people what great riding we have around here. So far it has been a secret and I don't want it getting out.

I have been looking for a riding partner in the area that is willing to take some longer runs. If you are interested, email or PM me. Would be cool to ride with another GT'er.

I assume that you picked yours up at Nick's too?

Brian
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 5:52 pm

excellent write-up
as my '07 was loaded onto a boat in bremerhaven on friday.... it's stories like these that keep me going

thanks for taking the time to write this
i'd love even MORE details if possible

thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode