ESA vs Ohlins - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 6:59 pm Thread Starter
WMD

ESA vs Ohlins

Looking at picking up a new GT and test rode one yesterday (briefly). Current ride is KRS with Ohlins. For those that have ridden a K bike with Ohlins - how do you think the ride with the new ESA shocks compare with to the ride with Ohlins?
Thanks,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 7:27 pm

Thumbs up ESA all the way!

I think that the quality rivals the Ohlins. And unless you can adjust the Ohlins on-the-fly (from comfort to sport), I think it's a no-brainer.

When I first heard about ESA, I thought it was a joke. When I test rode the 'S' several times, I still wasn't too impressed. But after 6K on the GT with ESA, I am in LOVE! And I would tell you if I thought it sucked. Trust me.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:28 pm

Had....

I had Ohlins on my 05 R1200RT and was really in love with the bike and also had them on my '04 R1150RT....they really make for a great ride.

I bought a K1200R with standard shocks and no ESA.......it was ok but sold the bike after a very short time.....didn't like the seating position.

When the new GT came out I just bought it with ESA trusting in what others had reported here and at the other BMW touring site.

I'm very happy with the ESA and really like the Change on the Fly ability over the Ohlins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 3:00 am

Thumbs up RS + Ohlins

I had a K12RS with Ohlins and loved it. When I read about ESA I was suspicious because how could the set up be good for me at 10 stone and also good for someone closer to 20 stone? Well, now I have ESA I won't be going back to Ohlins. The esa ride is practically as good as the ohlins, but the change on the fly bit is fantastic. We have lots of variable road surfaces here so I use it lots. Also. my riding varies a lot between solo, 2-up and then luggage. I always forgot to adjust the damping on the ohlins. Take a good test ride on mixed roads and try out all the settings. You will be surprised at the quality of the ride.

Brian
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:47 am Thread Starter
WMD

Smile Thanks

Folks,
Thanks for the responses and appreciate the feedback.

I only got to put about 5 miles on the demo and the ride felt ok at times but there were times it was not as good as my current ride. I did take my bike over the same route afterwards for comparison. Based on what I have been reading elsewhere it is probably because I was not giving the suspension enough time to re-adjust the damping.
Bill
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 3:12 pm
"DELIVERS"

Are the stock shocks rebuildable?
Ohlins are.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 3:24 pm

When I purchased my '05RT that was one of my considerations about the ESA... was it rebuildable. I had experience with the Ohlins and the ESA option had just come out and was somewhat "unproven" at that point. So I went with the non-ESA bike and added Ohlins.

Now with ESA fairly well established, I choose to go with it on the GT.

Just my .02
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2007, 6:53 pm

I am getting a bit tired of trying to dial in the rear shock every other day it seems. I would love ESA. Big Bucks!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:15 am

Question: Normally shocks last about 15 - 20K. The Oleins I had on my R1150RS lasted longer (traded in the bike before a rebuild was necessary). What is the life expectancy of the ESA shocks? Has anyone had them rebuilt or replaced?

Just curious

John
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:42 am
Veteran

Throw in another ditto for the ESA. My old RT had Ohlins and they were fine....(and dandy)...but the ESA is great. Sore ass end of the day rough road and switch to comfort mode. Not a 100% solution for Butt Burn but it sure helps. And there's definitely a difference between the settings.

I too would like to know the life expectancy of these things? Any one know? Bet it's real cheap to have it changed out too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode