The '06 GT and radar detectors - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 7:23 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation The '06 GT and radar detectors

My friend Tom told me that whenever I get near his LT with my new GT, his radar detector goes nuts! We tested it parked next to each other, and sure enough. As soon as I start the GT - BEEP BEEP BEEP! IIRC, I think it was the X-Band that was freaking out. I can't remember what brand detector. A Valentine, I think. :think:

Now the big questions are:
  1. What's causing it?
  2. What can be done about it?
I don't own a radar detector...nor plan on it. Just trying to help the folks that do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 7:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
My friend Tom told me that whenever I get near his LT with my new GT, his radar detector goes nuts! We tested it parked next to each other, and sure enough. As soon as I start the GT - BEEP BEEP BEEP! IIRC, I think it was the X-Band that was freaking out. I can't remember what brand detector. A Valentine, I think. :think:

Now the big questions are:
  1. What's causing it?
  2. What can be done about it?
I don't own a radar detector...nor plan on it. Just trying to help the folks that do.
that makes no sense at all
are you running any other electronics on your bike?
could he have something else on HIS OWN BIKE that might be "REACTING" to YOUR bike?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
that makes no sense at all
are you running any other electronics on your bike?
could he have something else on HIS OWN BIKE that might be "REACTING" to YOUR bike?
At the time tested, my GT was bone stock with the exception of my Garmin 2610...which never caused problems while I rode with him on my LT about a billion times. Furthermore, I didn't turn OFF the 2610 while next to him, just the GT.

Sorry dude, I'm telling you, there something on this GT that we don't know about... But we will!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 7:45 pm Thread Starter

Perhaps it's the mega alternator, and it's not shielded good enough. Hhmmn...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
At the time tested, my GT was bone stock with the exception of my Garmin 2610...which never caused problems while I rode with him on my LT about a billion times. Furthermore, I didn't turn OFF the 2610 while next to him, just the GT.

Sorry dude, I'm telling you, there something on this GT that we don't know about... But we will!
AH.....
this might be your answer
Garmin units, have long been known to trigger false alarms in certain radar detectors
Jeff/El Jeffe might remember some of these issues and help out with an answer
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 7:57 pm
Addict

Or maybe....just maybe....big brother has finally infultrated our bikes and we are broadcasting our every movement to the authorities. Could be the only chance they have of actually catching us in the act!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 8:07 pm
Statmaster

What brand Radar to YOU have. Cheap radar detectors tend to leak X-band a lot. Happens whenever I go down the freeway and somebody with a Bel or Uniden unit is close to me.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
AH.....
this might be your answer
Garmin units, have long been known to trigger false alarms in certain radar detectors
Jeff/El Jeffe might remember some of these issues and help out with an answer
Hello! Are you listening to me? My 2610, and Tom's 276c has never made his detector freak out before. The ONLY thing different here is MY GT. Not my GPS. Not HIS GPS. Nothing new electronically. Just MY GT.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 8:09 pm

only your bike?

by chance has he been close to any other "newer" K bikes? Canbus wiring, no ground wire might emit an electrical signature.

Does it happen with the key turned on but the bike not started? IF so, then something in the base electronics. if only when started, then maybe the alternator post is correct.

Does it happen when the bike is within a certain radius? Side to side, front to his bike, any directional evidence of the signal being hotter than any other direction?

Take a metal cookie sheet and put it close to his radar unit inbetween your bike and his. If the shielding works then move the shielding to the alternator area of your bike and see if it shields it. If the shielding works at all move it to different areas of the GT and see if the radar pulse get weaker or goes out.

Wierd...

hope you find the answer..

Cheers.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 8:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
What brand Radar to YOU have. Cheap radar detectors tend to leak X-band a lot. Happens whenever I go down the freeway and somebody with a Bel or Uniden unit is close to me.
I don't have a detector. Once again, my LT was stock except for the 2610. Period.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode