BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Added over 2 cubic feet of waterproof storage to the GT!

5K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  messenger13 
#1 ·
This one is only for the 1-UP folks...sorry.

In preparation for my CCR trip, I wanted to add a seat bag (or something?) to the GT. I starting looking at my options. Duffle bags, seat bags, etc., etc... I wanted something waterproof, I knew that. And I wanted something big, but not too big. And if it worked out to be a good backrest, yippee! Then there's always the COST. But we all know that you usually get what you pay for.

Well not this time! ;)

I think what I have rigged up is going to do all of the above, and more. I found a waterproof puncture-proof dufflebag on eBay for $39.98 to my door! The quality is superb! Then, I bought two 6-hook Bungee cargo nets for $3.99 each. Total cost = $48.52!

But wait...there's more!!! :p

Next, I took 2 standard milk crates (13"L x 13"W x 11"H) that I had laying around (lifetime musician's tend to have them), and I chopped off 1.5" off 1 side of each of the crates. I placed them inside the duffle bag with the newly cut side facing each other as to form one new crate measuring 23"L x 13"W x 11"H, and I zip-tied those babies together. Now I have a hard-sided duffle bag that obviously holds it's shape very well, AND it's LIGHT! It sits on the grab rails nicely too. The duffle bag also has a pocket on each side 14" x 14" x 1.5" for handy storage. Sweet!

Finally, I took the 2 Bungee cargo nets and hooked them to the grab rails, wrapped around the ends of the duffle and hooked the nets together on top. Holds the duffle in place, and I can always stuff other things under the net as I see fit. Adding another bag on top would be a piece of cake as well.

(FWIW, the pic below is the duffle bag completely empty.)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.