Added over 2 cubic feet of waterproof storage to the GT! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 9:23 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Added over 2 cubic feet of waterproof storage to the GT!

This one is only for the 1-UP folks...sorry.

In preparation for my CCR trip, I wanted to add a seat bag (or something?) to the GT. I starting looking at my options. Duffle bags, seat bags, etc., etc... I wanted something waterproof, I knew that. And I wanted something big, but not too big. And if it worked out to be a good backrest, yippee! Then there's always the COST. But we all know that you usually get what you pay for.

Well not this time!

I think what I have rigged up is going to do all of the above, and more. I found a waterproof puncture-proof dufflebag on eBay for $39.98 to my door! The quality is superb! Then, I bought two 6-hook Bungee cargo nets for $3.99 each. Total cost = $48.52!

But wait...there's more!!! :p

Next, I took 2 standard milk crates (13"L x 13"W x 11"H) that I had laying around (lifetime musician's tend to have them), and I chopped off 1.5" off 1 side of each of the crates. I placed them inside the duffle bag with the newly cut side facing each other as to form one new crate measuring 23"L x 13"W x 11"H, and I zip-tied those babies together. Now I have a hard-sided duffle bag that obviously holds it's shape very well, AND it's LIGHT! It sits on the grab rails nicely too. The duffle bag also has a pocket on each side 14" x 14" x 1.5" for handy storage. Sweet!

Finally, I took the 2 Bungee cargo nets and hooked them to the grab rails, wrapped around the ends of the duffle and hooked the nets together on top. Holds the duffle in place, and I can always stuff other things under the net as I see fit. Adding another bag on top would be a piece of cake as well.

(FWIW, the pic below is the duffle bag completely empty.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 9:31 pm

WOW! That is great! Necessity is the mother of invention...

Brian
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 9:35 pm
Addict-oholic

Wow, I could probably travel for a month with that much cargo !!!!!
Way to go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 9:47 pm

Nice and very inexpensive, but I do have a comment: don't use bungees, but straps. Once something gets in motion, it stays in motion; bungees allow this, straps don't.
Have fun at the Rally.
Greg
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC
...but I do have a comment: don't use bungees, but straps. Once something gets in motion, it stays in motion; bungees allow this, straps don't.
I have a friend that makes soft straps. I'll get him to make me a custom set.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:21 pm

Excellent Job !
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:26 pm
The Gov

tre chic!

At first I thought that was the BMW bag for the top case. Very cool idea and with the crates you would have solid support for some padding for your back - eggscelent

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 8:48 am

Is it me??

Why do you need so much luggage space for a one up journey? I regually tour for 2 weeks at a time, two up with just the normal two side cases, a tank bag and a Givi 46l top case.

Perhaps you change into full evening dress each night for dinner and don't know how to wash your essential items and dry them overnight?

Just curious that's all.......
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 9:14 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMKrider
Why do you need so much luggage space for a one up journey? [snip] Just curious that's all.......
Things I'll be putting in that bag...
  • Laptop, and all of it's accessories
  • Other electronic stuff - camera charging dock, CF cards, cell phone charger, etc.
  • Tools - a real assortment that might actually get you back on the road.
  • Roadside repair kit - Over the years, I have assembled a list of items that I like to take with me for emergency roadside repairs. Wire, an assortment of tapes (Gaff tape, electrical tape, etc.), zip ties, JB Weld, hose clamps, extra bulbs, and so on.
So you see...it'll be nice just to have all of my clothing in the GT's top box and saddlebags, and everything else in this seat duffle bag. Do I need this much extra space? Probably not. But so what?
If a little is never enough.
...and more is always better.
Than too much just might be just right!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 9:55 am
The Gov

I'm the same as "just Joe". I have the top case and always put light quick access stuff in there. I put the heavier stuff or things that I am more worried about from a vibration standpoint, like my good camera, notebook etc. along with anything I might have that is heavy on the rear seat.

Going over washboard is hell on stuff in the top case and it is also only rated for much of a load anyway.

All that said, when my wife and I take off, two riders, both one up, you wouldn't believe the shit we take. :wtf

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode