Another Garmin StreetPilot III Mount - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 4:00 am Thread Starter
Addict

Talking Another Garmin StreetPilot III Mount

Ok all you equipment geeks out there, here's my Garmin StreetPilot III mounting system. First I'll explain then you can view the picks if I can figure out how to post them. For my Ducati ST4s I purchased the Garmin StreetPilot III unit. Not wanting let the GPS go with my Duc I pulled the mounting system and wiring off and discovered that with a little grinding on the mounting plate I could easily install it on my KGT.

First I removed the two handle bar bolts. Then I had to grind away some of the GPS mounting plate material to clear the contours of the handle bar base area around the bolt openings. Then added an extra washer between the mounting plate and the original washer. Because of the extra stack up of the GPS mounting plate and extra washer the stop nuts at the ends of the handle bar bolts needed to be spaced out an equal distance (approximately 4 mm). I just happened to have two steel balls from an old universal carburetor kit that had just the right size. The stop nuts have a slight recess in the bottom so I just dropped a ball into each stop nut, applied some Locktite to the threads and tightened them up. There's sufficient thread remaining so as long as you don't overtighten they'll tighten up just fine. Now even with the GPS mounted, the original function of the handle bar mounting and adjustment system remains the same.

Now I just have to complete the wiring. I'll send a separate post for the wiring complete with pictures.

Please let me know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GarminMount1.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	3221   Click image for larger version

Name:	GarminMount2.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	3222   Click image for larger version

Name:	GarminMount4.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	3223   Click image for larger version

Name:	GarminMount5.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	3224   Click image for larger version

Name:	GarminMount6.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	3225  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 9:03 pm

Very nice...good job!

But you really need to start saving some pennies to upgrade from that SPIII. You don't know what you're missing. I have a 2610, and I'll be upgrading soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode