Big hands need bigger grips - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

Big hands need bigger grips

I admit it, I have HUGE hands. As such, most grips, including those on the GT have too small of a diameter for me. In that same vein, I would like to help reduce some of the vibration that sometimes creeps through to my hands. Many years ago, I found a product that essentially was a thick tape that was adhesive on one side and almost gel like. I wound it around my stock grips and I was able to kill 2 birds with one roll of this tape. Problem is, I can not remember what the product was called.

Has anyone seen a similar product or maybe even a different idea all together. I want to avoid replacing the grips if that is possible.

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 6:18 pm

I think the product you want is called "Grip Puppies". You may want to search the Internet or you can try

California Sport Touring

I do not know these people but they were the first name on my internet search...at least you can see a picture.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
I admit it, I have HUGE hands. As such, most grips, including those on the GT have too small of a diameter for me. In that same vein, I would like to help reduce some of the vibration that sometimes creeps through to my hands. Many years ago, I found a product that essentially was a thick tape that was adhesive on one side and almost gel like. I wound it around my stock grips and I was able to kill 2 birds with one roll of this tape. Problem is, I can not remember what the product was called.

Has anyone seen a similar product or maybe even a different idea all together. I want to avoid replacing the grips if that is possible.

Thanks,
Brian
if you think the GT's grips are tiny... you ought to see the ones on my MV Brutale :p

you must remember that the more tape or other product you use... the more the HEATED grips will be come INeffective..... if you care about that sort of thing

here's what I would do.....
go to a reputable TENNIS store near you and look at the MANY GRIP TAPES for tennis rackets that they'll have.

i guarantee they'll have something you want at a decent price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 7:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
you must remember that the more tape or other product you use... the more the HEATED grips will be come INeffective..... if you care about that sort of thing
I wouldn't consider that to be a true statement. A friend of mine wrapped his new RT's grips with racketball racket tape, and he said that the heat comes through the same as always.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I wouldn't consider that to be a true statement. A friend of mine wrapped his new RT's grips with racketball racket tape, and he said that the heat comes through the same as always.
a very intersting point... glad to hear that
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 9:34 pm
Enthusiast

Brian,

I put Grip Puppies on my K12S and life is good. Brings the diameter up to the K12RS diameter. For some odd reason they do not really remove much vibration. Its a good thing there is not a substantial amount of vibration to eliminate. You will also find that the heated grips work fine. They do take a little longer to reach temp, but they get just as warm.

El Barto
Ride fast.......Get there before the accident!
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 9:54 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Barto
Brian,

I put Grip Puppies on my K12S and life is good. Brings the diameter up to the K12RS diameter. For some odd reason they do not really remove much vibration. Its a good thing there is not a substantial amount of vibration to eliminate. You will also find that the heated grips work fine. They do take a little longer to reach temp, but they get just as warm.
I have found that the Grip Puppies both allow the same amount of heat to come thru, AND reduce vibration. On my western tour, the grips still got so hot on high I had to reduce to the middle position, and I was wearing my winter gloves with insulate. Just my experience - YMMV. BTW, I have them on every bike I own, except the Harley. That one is supposed to vibrate, and I never tour on it, so I don't need. Have Kuryakyn iso grips instead, but I am a real fan of the Grip Puppies.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 HD Dyna-Glide
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 11:26 pm Thread Starter

Just ordered a set of the puppies using Bill's link. While I was there I found a .42 oz can of Plexus. I don't know about the rest of you, but that "tank bag size" is really hard to find here in NE WI.

Brian
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 1:02 am
Enthusiast

LOVE my puppies. Heat comes through fine and my 'grip-fatigue' is reduced. Like the Plexus? Tell me more. Cheers.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 3:30 am

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
While I was there I found a .42 oz can of Plexus. I don't know about the rest of you, but that "tank bag size" is really hard to find here in NE WI.
What are you using the Plexus for?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in