Tank Bags.. Argh!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 2:54 pm Thread Starter

Tank Bags.. Argh!!!

Ok.. I need to make a decision. I know we have talked about tank bags and talked about them yet I don't see really a joint opinon from those who know -- what is the best tank bag?

My dealer has the BMW one ready for me to take. I hate the straps but think it could work.

I have also heard that Marsee is out of business. I really like the magnetic connection using the gas tank lip.

Has anyone come up with the ultimate tank bag solution? Is there a new BMW tank bag in the future that I should hold out for?

-mark=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 3:04 pm
Addict

Marsee ain't out of business. I called them last week. They still make the Corona tank bags and those bags are on back order. Marsee designs them and gets them made some where else. China perhaps.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 3:15 pm

MarkMGT

You get lots of opinions here and at the other BMW sites.....one bag that has a unique design, is easy to use, is easy to deal with when fueling your bike and is super easy to remove to take with you..is the Big-Mak Tank Bag.

There are various sizes and attachments that you can choose from to make the bag even more user friendly.

I see a tankbag first for ease of removal when I re-fuel...what do I do with it when I remove it, does it flop down, do the straps get in the way and what does it do to my tank during use.

I carry many riders goodies, pens and markers, tire guage, heavy SLR camera and use the accessorie water bootle holder and the bag never sags to touch my tank.

I've moved this bag from my '02RT to my '04RT to my '05RT and now over to my '06GT...so it's really a keeper.

My .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadshadowww
MarkMGT

You get lots of opinions here and at the other BMW sites.....one bag that has a unique design, is easy to use, is easy to deal with when fueling your bike and is super easy to remove to take with you..is the Big-Mak Tank Bag.

There are various sizes and attachments that you can choose from to make the bag even more user friendly.

I see a tankbag first for ease of removal when I re-fuel...what do I do with it when I remove it, does it flop down, do the straps get in the way and what does it do to my tank during use.

I carry many riders goodies, pens and markers, tire guage, heavy SLR camera and use the accessorie water bootle holder and the bag never sags to touch my tank.

I've moved this bag from my '02RT to my '04RT to my '05RT and now over to my '06GT...so it's really a keeper.

My .02
Well here are my requirements:

- Need to be able to see the Nav 3. BMW in their wisdom removed the ability from the GPS mount to adjust the angle of the GPS display--so it is fixed. Will a tank bag block the view?

- I need to mount my FRS radio or perhaps a CB radio (if I could find one that will work with the Autocom) off the side of the bag.

- I need to carry m Canon S50 Camera + case, Plexus and other small things. The inner liner must keep water out.

- I want ease of removal; yet don't want a contraption showing when the bag is not on the bike. I had a BigMac for my 02 RT and had to deal with this plastic shelf that was coming at me all the time.

- I want it to compliment the bike and not look like it doesn't belong.

-mark=
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 4:52 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMGT
Ok.. I need to make a decision. I know we have talked about tank bags and talked about them yet I don't see really a joint opinon from those who know -- what is the best tank bag?

My dealer has the BMW one ready for me to take. I hate the straps but think it could work.

I have also heard that Marsee is out of business. I really like the magnetic connection using the gas tank lip.

Has anyone come up with the ultimate tank bag solution? Is there a new BMW tank bag in the future that I should hold out for?

-mark=

Mark, here's two alternatives for you. If you consider the "milk crate" I have a forum based contact for your custom needs. If you like the Marsee, take a look at their website. They're still in biz. Great bag. Great quality. I crack myself up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	577.2 KB
ID:	3243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	507.0 KB
ID:	3244  

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 6:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerDude
Mark, here's two alternatives for you. If you consider the "milk crate" I have a forum based contact for your custom needs. If you like the Marsee, take a look at their website. They're still in biz. Great bag. Great quality. I crack myself up!
The mik crate idea is cool... I was looking at a several systems that involved metal braces and a structure made out of legos. Clearly the milk crate is a good alternative.

The other bag though--is that the BMW bag?

What/who is this contact for my customization needs??

-makr=
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 6:17 pm

The BigMak is AWESOME! Unfortunately, it won't allow you to see your Nav III, so you may have to look at BeemerMoron's options.

FYI: I used milk crates as a hard liner for my home-made seatbag. (See pic. Do you see a crate in that pic?) His crate is simply a very poor attempt at humor. Nor does it consider your criteria. 76 posts and he has yet to contribute. My apologies...

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 7:21 pm
Enthusiast

Didn't I tell you that you would like the Big Mak.

06 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 7:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassGT
Didn't I tell you that you would like the Big Mak.
Yepperz...owe ya a cold one!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:53 pm

I first mounted the big mak, didn't like it, so now I have the Marsee Corona...love it. If someone wants to buy a BM with 5" set back, email me.
Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode