Navigator II Wiring - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:39 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Question Navigator II Wiring

When I traded my '06 LT for the GT I kept my Navigator II. I've got the mounting bracket coming, but I'm not sure how difficult it would be for me to wire the power cord myself. From the looks of things on the accessory web page it looks almost like a plug and play system. I've tackled a little bit of stuff on my other bikes such as installing Run 'n Lites, BRAKE! flashing light, PIAA's, etc. Anybody got advice for a somewhat mechanically challenged individual on whether to try it himself or let the dealership service tech handle it?

Mike
'06 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:04 am
Addict

Mike, I'm not familier with the Nav 2 system but I just installed a Garmin StreetPilot III and a Touratech Power Supply Block. I don't know if this will help but I have several before and after pictures of the installation with all of the body panels removed. I'll post them tonight.

I trust others will offer their assistance too!

Regards,
John
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:21 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT
Mike, I'm not familier with the Nav 2 system but I just installed a Garmin StreetPilot III and a Touratech Power Supply Block. I don't know if this will help but I have several before and after pictures of the installation with all of the body panels removed. I'll post them tonight.
John, removing body panels? You're going to scare Mike right off. All he's asking is how to wire power to his Nav II.

Mike, there is a thread in here (do a search) on wiring accessories into the wiring harness already in place just below the battery cover in the front of the battery compartment on the top of the tank. Two torx screws and you're in. There are three wires attached to the front brace in the battery box. The other thread will give you the connection details. It may even be here: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...ght=gps+wiring

Good luck. This shouldn't be difficult. And I'm sure you need not strip the beast to achieve this.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Last edited by SKIZIKS; Aug 23rd, 2006 at 11:38 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 1:19 pm
Addict

Sorry, I wasn't trying to scare anyone.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 3:41 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Scare me? No, maybe just give me that "Oh crap, I was hoping I wasn't gonna have to do this" feeling. I've had the panels off the RT, both RS's and both LT's. Wasn't looking forward to removing panels from the GT if I didn't have to. I have had the battery cover off when I attached the BMW Battery Charger lead. That was a piece of cake. I've since had the dealership install an additional power socket that's hooked directly to the battery that the charger plugs into. If what you guys are describing is mostly all there is to it then it shouldn't be too difficult. I just hate to dive into something where I have little idea of what I'm doing, then realizing I'm in way over my head. I guess I'm just real skeptical when it comes to my mechanical abilities.

Mike
'06 GT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 5:30 pm
Addict

No worries Mike. I'm a former certified auto tech and technical service manual writer for all types of engine powered machines. It is not my intention to suggest anything beyond the scope of someone's skill or comfort level but if I can be of assistance I don't mind helping. My approach is to disseminate as much information about an issue as I have first hand knowledge about and let others determine what if any of it helps them. And as they say pictures are worth a thousand. I do have some good photos!

Best regards,
John
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 5:32 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Very cool John. I'll most likely be taking you up on your offer.

Mike
'06 GT
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 4:21 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Cool

Got the mount from Joe and dove into installation head first. No assistance necessary. Plug 'n play. Only question that arose regarded the power cord. My '06 LT was already wired for the Navigator. With the LT all I had to do was attach the cradle, attach the power cord to the unit, lock it in to the cradle and power it up. An additional power cord was included with the unit as part of the kit (motorcycle power cord, cigarette lighter adapter power cord, auto dash bean bag, etc.). The end of the cord that hooks into the bike has two different couplers, one smaller than the other. The larger one is to power the cradle and the unit. I wasn't sure of the purpose for the smaller one. Asked around and was told it is for the audio portion of the unit. Since I don't have a comm system yet, this coupler was zip tied next to the other one. Everything seems to work like a charm.

Mike
'06 GT
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 8:46 pm
Addict

Good for you! I'm glad everything worked out without a hitch. If you have time post a few pictures. I'd like to see the final results.

I went for a short ride today to finish the "break-in" miles for my 600 mile service next Saturday. During the ride I noticed my GPS mount slightly obscures the lower portion of my LED screen so I'm going to make an extension for my mounting bracket that allows me to reposition the GPS clear of the other instruments regardless of handle bar setting. I'm going to install an Autocom next week and if I can find the right system, a stereo too. I'll let you know how it works out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode