Dealer Reluctant to install 7.0 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:33 pm Thread Starter

Dealer Reluctant to install 7.0

I spoke with my dealer about doing the upgrade to CIP 7.0 yesterday. They are reluctant to do the upgrade because of all the warnings that BMW included with the software. Apparently, the factory Rep must be involved. They will install 7.0 on the parts managers S to get a better idea of the changes before they install it on a customers bike. I guess I will have to wait a bit for their experiment to be completed.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:59 pm
The Gov

See my post in the other threads. Same with me, he was reluctant and said he needed to call NA for a go ahead, which he got fairly quickly. It would be good to not be the first however, since some of my stuff didn't work and they had to go back, reinitialize and clear all the codes. Me likes.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 2:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdamski
I spoke with my dealer about doing the upgrade to CIP 7.0 yesterday. They are reluctant to do the upgrade because of all the warnings that BMW included with the software. Apparently, the factory Rep must be involved. They will install 7.0 on the parts managers S to get a better idea of the changes before they install it on a customers bike. I guess I will have to wait a bit for their experiment to be completed.
IMHO, I don't think that it's up to the dealer at all. The customer should be told of these warnings, and then the customer should have the final say. PERIOD!

When I told my service manager I wanted to update to ver 7...he said, "Cool! I'm looking forward to your evaluation.". Now that's a guy that values MY opinion. AND, I value his. It's called, "mutual respect". I just don't think that a lot of dealers "get it". They're freakin' clueless! Oy vey! :banghead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 3:07 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by philspace
See my post in the other threads. Same with me, he was reluctant and said he needed to call NA for a go ahead, which he got fairly quickly. It would be good to not be the first however, since some of my stuff didn't work and they had to go back, reinitialize and clear all the codes. Me likes.
I've been a beta tester all of my life

The warnings in the bulletin are to make sure that the customer is aware that the update may change some of the drivability behavior of the bike. My understanding of the area rep's role is to confirm that the dealer discussed this with the customer, and that the customer understands that the "personality" of the bike may be different. My GT and my S are both getting the update as is Michelle's S. I drove a K1200S this morning that had the update and the differences are very subtle, but noticeable.

The dealer that is updating my bikes is anxious to hear feedback from me as to how the update affected the bikes. I will also share it here, if any changes are noteworthy.

Click
here to become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 3:23 pm
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
I've been a beta tester all of my life
The bleeding edge is the best place to be, anything else is boring.

I also agree that they changes are subtle, but I believe an improvement at this point. Did you notice the different feel at the start of roll on and roll off at speed as well, say 80 or so in 5th or 6th? Upshifting in lower gears seems to be better as well.

It sounds like they changed the basic structure of the data segment of the code, hence having to force a clearing the entire memory area. I think it was more of a learning experience for the tech on how to do it and force it. He test rode my bike and thought it was great. When he came back from lunch and the SM told him what was wrong he went "I never took the fairing off or touched anything!"

This thing could be as much fun as playing with the codes and settings on a VW :wtf

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 3:53 pm
Veteran

I would imagine that 7.0 will be the standard software on newest production bikes, so why the dealer reluctance?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 4:11 pm
Enthusiast

I'm having my 6K service and 7.0 update done tomorrow.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 4:17 pm

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
I would imagine that 7.0 will be the standard software on newest production bikes, so why the dealer reluctance?
Ignorance. By the purest meaning of the word.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 5:35 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by philspace
The bleeding edge is the best place to be, anything else is boring.

I also agree that they changes are subtle, but I believe an improvement at this point. Did you notice the different feel at the start of roll on and roll off at speed as well, say 80 or so in 5th or 6th? Upshifting in lower gears seems to be better as well.

It sounds like they changed the basic structure of the data segment of the code, hence having to force a clearing the entire memory area. I think it was more of a learning experience for the tech on how to do it and force it. He test rode my bike and thought it was great. When he came back from lunch and the SM told him what was wrong he went "I never took the fairing off or touched anything!"

This thing could be as much fun as playing with the codes and settings on a VW :wtf
Yes the throttle response was smother and much more linear in the part to mid throttle positions. WOT is still the best

Tuning by electronics is quite a new bit of fun. The diesel truck business is where it is at right now. My new Duramax is rated at 360 horsepower and 650 ft/lbs of torque. This is up 10% from last year, mostly by software changes. There are no less than a dozen manufacturers of various software programmers and/or controllers that will allow you to program in 50-150 more horsepower and 100-300 ft/lbs more torque. With software you can give a modern diesel enough horsepower to shred transmissions or destroy the engine. A modest gain of 60 horsepower and 100 ft/lbs of torque is very easy to get and usually yields better fuel mileage. All achieved by plugging into the OBDII port for a few minutes, no tools, no dirty hands.

Click
here to become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 5:56 pm
The Gov

I think it's cool. They were sort of poo poo'ing the idea of the computer being involved with the windshield, but I know that I would rather read a fault code and know that I really don't have to remove all that tupperware for no reason.

Just think, pretty soon we will be like the kids with VW's, publishing VB scripts to reprogram our bikes and hacking shit all over the place :p

Phil Space
Springfield, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode