7.0 Installed- Positve Report, for Now - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 4:46 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

7.0 Installed- Positve Report, for Now

Installed this morning and am happy to report that the issue I had with "low speed bucking" 2500 RPM's and below, APPEARS to be solved. There is a distinctive, yet subtle difference in the overall accelleration now. Very smooth throttle response. Realizing that my issue was only when the bike had been ridden hard and completely warmed up. It was always intermittent, thus, you never knew when the low speed "lurch" was going to rear it's ugly head. So far so good, 100 miles and counting...

In addition, there was a previous post regarding a recent 7.0 installation and the power windshield failing to function afterwards. Sorry, I do not remember the author of the post. I experienced the exact same issue after completition of my install. The dealer just scratched his head, run it back to the service tech and 10 minutes later I was out the door.

Regarding the dealer, i.e., service manager, I noticed a "less than positive" attitude regarding performing the install. The 20 + year BMW Service Tech. who answered the telephone yesterday was very encouraging, especially when I told him I lost complete engine power at low RPM concluding a recent ride. Yet, the Service Mgr. seemed to imply "the software is hit or miss, comparing it to a MicroSoft upgrade, good luck!"... Not exactly leaving me confident that this is the final fix ! More time and a couple more rides will tell.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 5:09 pm
The Gov

That was me.

I think the only issues with the flash are the procedures to do it and the tech getting comfortable driving the TR1 or whatever it's called. My tech said he tried a couple times, different ways and said he had to "force it".

I also got the same "good luck" attitude from the Service Manager.

Sounds like we are about the same. My problem only happened when she was hot and generally after a fillup or sitting for a bit - "ridden hot, put up wet". Haven't had a chance to test that part yet, but I'm a happy camper so far.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 5:23 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by philspace
That was me.

I think the only issues with the flash are the procedures to do it and the tech getting comfortable driving the TR1 or whatever it's called. My tech said he tried a couple times, different ways and said he had to "force it".

I also got the same "good luck" attitude from the Service Manager.

Sounds like we are about the same. My problem only happened when she was hot and generally after a fillup or sitting for a bit - "ridden hot, put up wet". Haven't had a chance to test that part yet, but I'm a happy camper so far.
It is a GT1

You have to remember these guys are trained as mechanics, not as software guys. I get a kick at the glazed look they get in their eyes any time they have to deal with the GT1. You also have to understand that the GT1 is a Windows XP based device, and subject to some of the weakness of the O/S and the software that runs under it. Another issue with the GT1 is weakness in the adapter cable design, I have helped the dealer chase down intermittent connections in the cables on a couple of occasions. Intermittent cables, marginally charged batteries and failure to specifically follow the instructions given by the GT1 will all cause a failure in diagnostics or firmware upload.

The amount of mis-information the techs hear, regurgitate or just plain make up is frightening. Today I heard that I should be careful selecting which updates I have installed because "after 12, you will have to replace the bikes computer". We know there is no small limit to how many times you can rewrite flash memory, so what he said has little basis in truth. If BMW designed in a limit on the number of updates, they should be summarily flogged. I didn't bother to ask him where he heard this, as I think he is a very good technician and didn't want to start a debate.

Click
here to become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 5:32 pm
The Gov

Thanks, I was so frustrated listening to their bullshit, the acronym went in one ear and out the other.

You're right Randy, they are entering into a brave new world, some kicking and screaming the whole way. My "kid" was young and not afraid, he will pick up on it quickly, but has no clue as to what's really happening.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 5:47 pm

future installations of 7.0 and upward - suggestion

The dearer I discussed the upgrade with mentioned that previous updgrades that did not appear to be successful were diagnosed as still running on the adaptive memory in the computer and not totally on the new software inputs.

His suggestion was to jumper the pos and neg cables (off of the battery of course) for 1/2 hour or longer which erases the adaptive memory. Then the computer components react off the software inputs. (but again build up adaptive memory based on the riding style).

I would suggest that if you are experiencing bad things prior to the upgrade...clear the memory and see if makes any difference....

then if you are getting the upgrade..clear the memory the evening before you take the bike in...then if the dealer doesn't know to do it (or doesn't want to spend the 1/2hr) you will be better off.

It was this dealers experience with BMW software updates.

Cheers.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 5:55 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=philspace]That was me.

Phil, thanks for the previous "7.0 install/ power windshield issue" post. As I prepared to depart the service area, I put the key in the ignition, powered up and checked the windshield. Nothing...dead... I would have been down the road 25 miles before I noticed the malfunction. Otherwise, all in all I am satisfied with the upgrade...Thanks,

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 6:04 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=randy]

You have to remember these guys are trained as mechanics, not as software guys. I get a kick at the glazed look they get in their eyes any time they have to deal with the GT1. QUOTE]

Randy, I hear you! I see the same look most of the time. In addition, I get the impression the Service Depts., i.e., Service Managers are either ignorant to the issue or have been instructed to "play containment" with this issue for fear that it will spread like wild fire. Thus, initiating either litigation issues or mass invasion of service issues beating at their door. It's almost as though, they have been instructed by "the mothership" to admit nothing. Be reactive not proactive... Maybe it's just me!

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 6:49 pm

Unhappy 7.0 fears

I'm ready for my 6k service and called to learn that our service dept. does have the 7.0 upgrade. I've read that the lower rpm problems are solved-great! But acceleration and high end power suffer. I really, really, really like the throttle response and high end power that I have.
I know that this is a one way trip (kind of like getting a tatoo) How much, if any, throttle response and/or acceleration is sacrificed?
Is this really an issue, or am I just being a silly paranoid worry wart fraidy cat?
I don't want to be forced into buying a new computer!!

it is un-natural for man to be in a cage
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 8:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
It is a GT1

You have to remember these guys are trained as mechanics, not as software guys. I get a kick at the glazed look they get in their eyes any time they have to deal with the GT1.
That's what I like about my tech. Not only is he the best tech I've ever worked with, but he's also going to school for computer animation, and he's no dummy around computer-related stuff.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 8:46 pm
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerDude

Phil, thanks for the previous "7.0 install/ power windshield issue" post. As I prepared to depart the service area, I put the key in the ignition, powered up and checked the windshield. Nothing...dead... I would have been down the road 25 miles before I noticed the malfunction. Otherwise, all in all I am satisfied with the upgrade...Thanks,
De nada. I wish I had thought to check as well, since I was on the slab, turned around and then had to wait because the kid was at lunch.

That's what these forums are all about.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode