BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Crate Damage - Quandry

3K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  kemper28 
#1 ·
When my beautiful Katie was uncrated in June, I was dismayed to see that the final drive unit had a dime-sized ding in it just outboard from the oil plug.

I've ridden for the past three months just overlooking it, but since BMW had agreed to have it painted/repaired I took it out today to a few of the higher-end body shops in town to see what they had to say.

They've all concluded basically the same thing: 1. a "match" would be very difficult do to the unique finish (satin appearance), 2. the part would have to be removed from the bike for them to work with it, and 3. it would be about $350.00 to refinish it.

It bugs the heck out of me that a $25k bike has this cosmetic flaw and that even after it's repainted I might not be satisfied with the work.

So the question/quandry is: What would you do?
  1. Nothing
  2. Ask BMW to "replace" the damaged unit completely
  3. Go for the repaint in the off-season
  4. Other suggestion?
I appreciate your input, perhaps there's a "magic" fix out there???

See less See more
#3 ·
replace if it bothers you. There is no other real solution.
But, usually, after the first scratch or ding in a new car, bike or whatever, as long as it is not unsightly, forget about it.

If you fo for a replacement, there will be downtime !!

#4 ·
Chris,

My understanding of a "ding" is that there is an indentation in the metal. For this to be repaired properly there would have to be a filler such as Bondo or the new plastic stuff,
and then be repainted. The real good people could do it. My choice would be to have BMW
replace it when you stop riding when the weather changes. This is a warranty issue,
and as long as the repair center needs the part taken off why not go for new?

Phil

#11 ·
Replace, Replace, Replace. In fact, if it was noted by the tech during uncrating, they should have replaced it THEN! If that's the case, your dealer's dragging their feet, ring up North America and explain the situation to them ( politely ) and they should oblige to a replacement if the papertrail exists from the beginning ( uncrating )

#13 ·
The finish on my 03 RS rear drive had some minor imperfections when it was new. At first I did not think it was worth replacing, but as time went on it bugged me more. I asked the dealer, Engle Motors, if warranty would replace it. It was covered and I got a new complete rear drive.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions and support.

I have found a painter who is convinced he can "brush" it in and make the damage virtually unnoticable. Rather than have the local mechanic tear apart my rear-end and potentially inflict even more damage, I think I'll try this first.

If I'm not satisfied with the result, then I will press BMW Motorrad Canada to replace the unit and take my chances.

Damn, I hate being in this position.

Thanks again.

#17 ·
roadshadowww said:
Get it replaced by BMW.......is your dealer really that bad that you don't trust them to perform the worked correctly?
It's hard to say. They don't give me a lot of confidence. If they did this for me, it would probably be the first time they've ever had a K rear-end apart. I don't really like being first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.