Tires for the GT! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2006, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

Tires for the GT!

I know.. I only have 1200 miles on my bike but I am already wondering what should be my next set of tires.

What tires do you like and why?

I had Metzler Z6s on my R1200RT and loved them.

Heh.. I don't know what I have now on it--perhaps I should check

-mark=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2006, 7:36 pm

Just got Avons mounted today. Only about 60 miles on them, but I can tell they're gonna be really fun in the twisties. They look great...the tread pattern, that is. And they really look meaty. I'm hoping to get more than 6K outta of them. Time will tell.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2006, 7:39 pm
Addict

several ideas

Pirelli and Avon have specials on right now, buy the rear, get the front for free. I ordered a set of each

I have also run Continental Road Attacks.

I don't know what's best but there's lots out there.

Let us know how it works,

Gravity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2006, 7:43 pm
Veteran

I bought some Avon AV45/46 at the local Cycle Gear during their after-hour's sale. They still had to order them since they do not stock them normally, but they showed up 4 days later. They also got me the two Pit-Bull stands for the GT and also had Moto-Tools 3/8" drive 22mm hex wrench to get the front axle off.

I had Metzeler and Pirelli on the RT, but they wore out far too soon (3K) and were rougher riding than the Avons. Might have something to do with the metal-belted Metzie's and Pirelli's over the non-metal Avons. High ambient road heat may have taken the mileage toll.

One added thing about the non-metal belted tires: If you get a nail and have one of those external pluggers (i.e. "Stop-and-Go") around, the non-metal belted tire may allow you to run longer on the plug. The Avon's polyester belt will be less likely to cut the plug as would metal. imo.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2006, 7:48 pm

I am running the Metzler Z6's right now and they seem to be doing well. They are beginning to square off a bit @ 3500 miles but I think that is to be expected considering all the slab I have been running. I figure I have 2.5-3k left on them. One interesting note is that I have yet to fins a bridge deck that makes the bike wander.

Just for kicks I think that my next set will be the Avons. Nothing wrong at all with the Metzlers, I just want to try something different.

Brian
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2006, 9:18 pm

z6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMGT
I know.. I only have 1200 miles on my bike but I am already wondering what should be my next set of tires.

What tires do you like and why?

I had Metzler Z6s on my R1200RT and loved them.

Heh.. I don't know what I have now on it--perhaps I should check

-mark=
If you loved the Z6...stick with them. They are frequently the tire that comes with the GT and came on mine. While they were fine on the GT, I don't like them so switched to Pilot Roads when they were doneand now the Roads are doing fine. Personal choice.

Doug
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2006, 9:45 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
If you loved the Z6...stick with them. They are frequently the tire that comes with the GT and came on mine. While they were fine on the GT, I don't like them so switched to Pilot Roads when they were doneand now the Roads are doing fine. Personal choice.

Doug
My GT came with the B020s, AKA 'rim protectors', and I changed them at my earliest opportunity. Ran the Metzlers on my LT and liked them, but the Z6s were unavailable when I was preping for my long tour, so went to the Michelin Road Pilots. Now have 6,000 on them, and there is at least 2-3000 miles left. They are also good in the rain (IMHO). YMMV, but I will probably go with Pilots again at the next change.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 HD Dyna-Glide
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2006, 11:15 pm
Let's Ride

Just wore out a pair of Continental Sport Attack (6k). Sticky, handled touring weight and high speeds and got 1.5k extra miles than the Z 6's. Plus I like the look.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2006, 8:52 am
The Gov

My son runs Road Attacks on his Sprint and loves them. I just put Z6's on mine, if for any other reason to get the Bridgestones off. I will probably try the Road Attacks next.

The BT's I guess were OK, but the front was starting to scallop slightly, nothing like what they do on an RT though and I could hear tire noise when cornering, probably because of the way the squared off thanks to riding some slab on a trip. OBTW, the service mgr at my dealer is a good rider and CLASS instructor. He says that Bridgestones aren't tires, they are only "rim protectors".

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2006, 9:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Just got Avons mounted today. Only about 60 miles on them, but I can tell they're gonna be really fun in the twisties. They look great...the tread pattern, that is. And they really look meaty. I'm hoping to get more than 6K outta of them. Time will tell.
Hey Joe,
Would you post what sizes you got and keep us updated on how you think they perform for you?
Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode