Upgrade, what upgrade?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2006, 6:57 am Thread Starter

Upgrade, what upgrade??

Had my GT upgraded today at 3500 miles. at North Oxford Garage. I then rode 40+ miles home. I have to say that the changes are subtle to say the least. I deliberatately rode through two towns to assess the low speed running. I think it is better, with less on-off apparent in 2nd at less than 20mph.ie it seems smoother. At higher speeds in 5th and 6th, there is less fall off in engine speed as you roll off the throttle, but it is slight. Neutral to first gear at start is still a shuddering clonk, but 2-3rd and above seems better.

Overall I do think there is a slight improvement in fuelling v low speed running bit it is only slight IMHO. If the upgrade had been done without my knowledge I am not sure I would notice.

Anybody else feel the same way?

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2006, 10:38 am

Are you sure that your GT actually took the upgrade? Randy Prade (whom I respect highly) tells me that the GT needs to be forced to accept the upgrade. And, that it take about 2 hours to accomplish as it has to rewrite all of the code in the GT. If your shop didn't not have to jump through these hoops, then I'm guessing that your GT was NOT updated to 7.0. The print outs that my tech gave me even said that my GT was updated successfully, even though it was not.

Food for thought...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2006, 11:52 am

Mine took 30 mins and transformed the bike. perhaps you haven't had a bad one in the firts place!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 6:14 am Thread Starter

Hi Ben,
Mine too took 30 mins, so why do US friends contend it takes 2 hours? I was not permitted to be in the workshop while they did the upgrade, so I suppose they could be stringing me along. The bike did originally have noticeable slow speed issues, but it does seem slightly better.
Terry
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 6:35 am

My wife took her GT in Friday to have it upgraded. The difference in low speed fueling is stunning! It's as mellow just off idle now as my Goldwing is. I can't wait to get mine done too, and I didn't really think I had a problem until I rode hers!

Hers was the first GT that they had upgraded, so it may have taken a bit longer. The mechanics were all busy, so the owners son (who normally works in sales) did the upgrade for her (a fine job of it too, he knew exactly what to do, including the potential windshield motor issue!). She said that it took about an hour, including some time to investigate whether a piece of glass in her rear tire had created a problem (it hadn't, just wedged into the tread).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 8:37 am

When I had my upgrade done yesterday, the mech. had to specifically select the upgrade. When he 1st put the bike on the computer, nothing happened. Then he went back, READ the instructionc, made the selection on the screen (which actually lists among the improvements 'low throttle control!'), and the computer took over. It really was rather straightforward as long as the mech. makes the correct selection at one of the 1st selection screens on the GT1 computer.
Carl
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 11:39 am
I'm riding

Terry,

Did you pay for the upgrade?

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

The upgrade was done under warranty. Only cost to me was the fuel for the 80 mile round trip to the dealer!
Terry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode