FJR/GT/ST Comparison - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 5:17 am Thread Starter
bjn

FJR/GT/ST Comparison

An interesting comparison of the FJR1300, K1200GT and ST1300 in an Oz magazine this week.

A couple of the good points about the GT:
'Once you get used to the duolever set-up, the BMW is well balanced, steady and a fun bike to ride. You can do things the others wont think about, like late braking into corners, and it leans much further before scratching your boots or footpegs. It;s definitely the most dynamic and capable handling bike here.'

'The BMW's engine is full of torque and power, and it walks away from the others when you open the throttle. It has the most power, everywhere.’

A couple of bad points:
‘The suspension rates aren’t great. The ride is harsh and bouncy on bumpy roads, even on comfort settings, reducing its appeal as a relaxed tourer.’

‘Low-rev response is sharp and sometimes uncomfortable.’

‘The gearbox is quite unpleasant – loud, loose and clunky.’

They loved the GT headlight and the gadgets on the bike. They said the cost increase over the other bikes is ‘easily justifiable given the technology, the ultra secure chassis, the very powerful engine and all the extra items BMW can offer as standard fitment.’

They liked all 3 bikes, criticized the FJR ground clearance and said the Honda was the most bland of the 3. In the end they chose the Honda as the winner due to being the easiest and most user friendly bike. It had the best fairing and the smoothest engine for long distance touring. It was the weakest for the sports bit of sports-touring, but the best for the touring bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 6:49 pm

I would disagree...respectivelly

I don't own a Honda (had a 1500 Gold Wing) ST1300; however, have ridden two separate times at the Honda Homecoming (last year was the latest).

The Honda had plenty of torque - even enough to easily lift their front tire - but the wife kept sliding into me and felt very uncomfortable without a back rest.

Engine has a very noticeable "turbine whine to it" - some like it and some dont. You can't read the digital readout in the daylight and this version is almost six years old and Honda won't do a thing about it (they say Buy a GPS, then you can read it) .

Five speed - 80+ mph on the freeway puts the engine revs up too high. No cruise control, no self cancelling turn signals, no heated grips, seat, no EAS, V4 heats and cools unevenly (ask me and my VMAX) A lot of owners bitch about the engine heat being very unbearable. Tupperware is a bitch to remove and the rear axle splines are known to decenigrate without much notice.

Honda is cheaper but so is a Hyunda (SP) versus a Chevy.

The wife and I found the KGT - extremely comfortable - sport-comfort-normal EAS settings work very well, More than enough rebound, almost too much power - without front forks, the braking dive is almost non-exitstant. Tracking of the KGT is "it goes where you want it too." Push right - go right. We both felt the KGT was vastly superior to the Honda ST1300 in every way imaginable.

Honda says no more than 80 with the side bags and the top box throws a high speed imbalance as do the shocks in the rear at high speed if not adjusted properly. The KGT we went 110 in a heartbeat and not a trace of wobble.

Just my opinion - but - the wife still wants a SilverWing after I get my KGT. That's great about choices, it's also a big + that BMW lets consumers demo their bikes. Honda dealers around where I live won't. "Buy the bike, sign the contract, if you don't like it in the first thirty miles bring it back." - however - they won't put that in writing. Consumer beware; however, test ride the BMW and then make up your mind.

Cheers.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Have her get a Burgman...she'll like it even more (mine does!) and she can then keep up with you ( up to 100 mph).
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC
Have her get a Burgman...she'll like it even more (mine does!) and she can then keep up with you ( up to 100 mph).
Greg
+1 Got one for my wife as well.

Brian
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:42 am
Noob

For whatever it's worth , I owned an ST1300 prior to the 06KGT. In my opinion the K is superior in almost every way. The ST is smoother, does shift better, has better weather protection. But that's it. The engine heat in the summer is a MAJOR deal, with dozens of various "fixes" out there among the owners, but what does that tell you? It is very heavy and you feel every pound, whether pushing it around the garage or riding in slow traffic. The lack of amenities for the ST was always curious to me and also influenced my decision to buy the GT. Having said all that, the ST is a nice ride, totally trouble free mechanically and electrically. But there is also the intangible; a 30 minute test ride on the GT and I KNEW I had to have it and have had no regrets about the decision. I connected with the KGT in a way I never did with the ST1300. Maybe that's why they called it bland!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2006, 8:36 pm

I read the test as well. I,m hoping that with the 07 model ,the low speed engine problems will have been fixed as well as some of the comments they made aboiut the brakes. The points which they knocked on the suspension ,I,m hoping will be ironed out with a bit of running in as well as my heavier body weight. If ,not then a quick spring change or suspension revalve is simple enough. The only thing left to fix then is the gear change. Are there any mods/ fixes to sort out the clunky gear change apart from making sure the linkage adjustments are correct?
Once these things are sorted ,surely they wont find too many faults by the time I buy my 07 model.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode