Shorter windshield question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 9:31 pm Thread Starter
WMD

Shorter windshield question

Picked up a new KGT yesterday and spent a fair amount of time on the slab on the way back (about 200 of the 250 mile trip). The bike came with the tall wind shield - which is just right to be buffeting my head pretty well at 70+ plus speeds. Like Greg (Clearwater) I am trying to protect what hearing I have left.
I still want some air circulation as it does get hot on California. I am used to have some wind pressure (coming off an RS with Z-Technic screen) so that is not an issue - just not the buffeting and low frequency noise.
I spent some time trying different things and figured out that if I lifted upwards about two inches the buffeting subsided and the noise level reduced. I put the seat up in the high position and that improved things somewhat - but also revealed the torture rack on the bike. After about 35 miles I pulled over and set it back down -my tailbone could not take it anymore.

If I put the screen up and ducked down behind it - it was very quiet as everyone has noted.
But this was not a comfortable position.

If I stood partially up or all the way up on the pegs I was in the smoothest clear air I have ever experienced on a bike. It seemed to begin once that I was 6 or so inches up - but somehow that just doesn't feel like a good way to do distance.
My thought at the moment is try a shorter windshield and see if the buffeting is eliminated.

So my question is - Has anyone used the short windshield ( or even shortened that windshield) with success? Also if anyone has a short shield just lying around - I might have a place for it :-)

On the plus side - the bike is amazing. I had not been able to test drive a GT very much - maybe 15 miles in two different times and hadn't found much difference between it and my RS. I primarily bought it because it is quieter than my RS and has more room for my wife. We did a 6000 mile trip this summer on the RS and it highlighted the need for a little more room and weight capacity.
During my brief exposure so far I found that it handles crosswinds better, pulls harder, accelerates faster, rides smoother, handles better than my RS ever did. As Miles noted on the other board - a short trip in the city does not really show the capabilities of the bike. Yeah it was a bit steep - especially when the RS has been paid off for years- but definitely worth it.
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:36 pm

I actually went the other direction and got a +4+2 from Cee Bailey. I am 6' 1" and in its lowest position I get a nice turbulent free stream of air that hits me right at the top of my shoulders. If I want I can sent the windshield up all the way and be completely wind free and still be able to just see of the top edge.

The downside is that in the right wind conditions the bike can get a bit more wiggly but that is really just a nit pick and not that bad of an issue at all.

Brian
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2006, 5:58 am

Hey Bill....

you are right about your hearing.... of course
i ordered my GT... which ought to be here by the end of NEXT week, with the SHORTER/STANDARD screen. i am 5'6", as you might recall.
i have NEVER ridden the bike.... but i sat on a sold bike (very carefully ) at the dealership. this bike had the TALLER screen. the keys were in the bike so i could adjust the height of the screen. the visual "line-of-sight" sucked with that taller screen..... it would be a distraction on the road.
i'm used to looking THROUGH the screen on my LT but i'll be looking OVER the screen on the GT (if it is the LOWER screen in the DOWN position) i think... as i've never even seen a bike with that lower screen.
now, i might have to go the opposite way with a cee bailey's bigger one as well

how i wish that i were at CCR so that i could see 10 different GTs and find out which screen looked good for my height/inseam from the pilot's seat. that isn't going to happen.

we'll see what happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2006, 7:40 am
Veteran

I'm 5'6". The lower/standard screen is perfect for me. In its lowest position, the screen etc. is completely out of my line-of-sight (downward peripheral) and visually its like being on a naked bike. My helmet is in "clean" air. (This is my preferred position, Etymotics or 32 db plugs under my lid usually, althought the C2 is pretty quiet.)

About half way up, I'm in a quiet bubble (not much airflow, so the C2 gets pretty warm inside) and I still look over rather than through. Alll the way up, and I get a little bit of back pressure when the wife's not on board, but can open my Shuberth at highway speeds. I'm still looking over, but it's a bit of a stretch. Very little rain hits the helmet in this position at speed.

In no position do I experience any buffeting or booming. Like I said, its perfect! This is riding on the low (comfort?) seat in the low position. FWIW the low seat for me is a keeper. Already racked up a few 1K days on it with no problem.

Good luck guys.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Last edited by SKIZIKS; Aug 28th, 2006 at 9:01 am.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2006, 8:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
I'm 5'6". The lower/standard screen is perfect for me. In its lowest position, the screen etc. is completely out of my line-of-sight (downward peripheral) and visually its like being on a naked bike. My helmet is in "clean" air. (This is my preferred position, Etymotics or 32 db plugs under my lid usually, althought the C2 is pretty quiet.)

About half way up, I'm in a quiet bubble (not much airflow so the C2 gets pretty warm inside) and still look over rather than through. Alll the way up and I get a little bit of back pressure when the wife's not on board, but can open my Shuberth at highway speeds. I'm still looking over, but it's a bit of stretch. Very little rain hits the helmet in this position at speed.

In no position do I experience any buffeting or booming. Like I said, its perfect! This is riding on the low (comfort?) seat in the low position. FWIW the low seat for me is a keeper. Already racked up a few 1K days on it with no problem.

Good luck guys.
Hey Chris
this is FANTASTIC news for me
glad i'm getting that shorter screen
thanks for this post
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:48 am

Smile

Bill,
I am 6-3 with a 36 inseam. My 06 GT came with the "tall BMW Windshield". It is quiet behnd it but being a RS rider for over 400,000 miles I wanted something SHORTER and SPORTIER!!!!! Two weeks ago I installed a Cee Bailey shorter (2 inches), stock width dark grey shield.
I get much more cooling air flow and the noise is about the same as stock. Note that I always wear ear plugs. If I want more protection I run it up about half way. With the shield in full up position it pulls me foreward!
Cee Bailey makes a very high quality product. It takes less than a minute to change a shield. It is slightly thicker and much stronger. I cannot imagine the windshield mounts being able to stand up to the extra loads from an extra large shield.
Norris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4207.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	3270   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4208.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	3271  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:05 am

Norris, it looks like you have a piece of tinted plastic, a wind block(?), between the screen and the side body, just below the mirrors??? Cound you tell me about it? It would seem that could also help with the wind noise on this bike.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2006, 2:31 pm

Bill

I also went with Cee Bailey's 2" shorter than stock, and went 2" wider. I felt the tall
stock screen allowed to much wind at my shoulder area. The screen is great, as is the quality.

Phil
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave
Norris, it looks like you have a piece of tinted plastic, a wind block(?), between the screen and the side body, just below the mirrors??? Cound you tell me about it? It would seem that could also help with the wind noise on this bike.
No block, everything is stock except the shield and the black bolts that hold it on. You are either seeing a shadow or maybe the top of my Garmin Quest.
Norris
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:50 am Thread Starter
WMD

Thanks for the feedback

Folks,
Just wanted to say thanks for the feedback - lots of good information. It looks like I will probably try the CB short windscreen and see how that works out. I am the same height as Norris but 2 -3 inch shorter in the inseam so we will see how noisy it is.
I already am wearing custom ear plugs trying to keep the noise down and it works for most frquencies. The buffeting is almost subsonic and the earplugs are not very good at keeping it out.
Regards,
Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode