Scratched Muffler - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:11 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Scratched Muffler

I'm interested in removing some scratches on the can that seem to have been there from the get go.

Suggestions?

Anyone know what the material is? Is it polished stainless steel or chromed something? It does seem to scratch quite easily.

Thanks!

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2006, 2:23 pm
Enthusiast

Ouch!

When I'd get tar on my RT exhaust I'd use Dupont Chrome polish applied with an SOS pad, with very light pressure. It worked like a charm, never any scratches. So I tried that the other day with my GT. DON'T! I don't know what the can is made of, but it is not chrome. I'm interested in an answer to your question too. This may be the perfect excuse to drop 15 lbs. and pick up 5 HP (a new can).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2006, 4:19 pm

Chris,
I am not sure there a product that will remove the scratches. At best, they may be covered up slightly with a wax without abrasives. I also have very fine swirls probably
just from wiping after a wash. Johnson & Johnson make a spray polish that comes out
as white foam that is very mild. Red & white can, but can't remember the label name. It
was always used at the Harley shop. Lot's of chrome on those bikes ya know.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2006, 9:59 pm

"00" steelwool...

Doug
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
"00" steelwool...

Doug
00 is still pretty abrasive. I would use 0000.

Colonite also has a product called Metal Wax. I use it on my boats, and on the cast iron of my woodworking machinery. It does have a mild abrasive, but you can control the cut with your hand pressure. It will also leave a high gloss protective finish. You can usually find it at a marine supply store like West Marine. As a side note, marine stores are great places to find 12v electrical parts.

Brian
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2006, 11:16 am

00...no problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
00 is still pretty abrasive. I would use 0000.

Brian
I've used 00 for years...starting with an R/RS, then a K/RS, then R/RT, a K/S (replaced by Remus) and now also a K/GT with never a problem. BMW uses a top quality grade of SS on these cans. But, obviously, 0000 will work as well...just requires a little more "elbow grease".

Doug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode