New Corbin Saddle Project - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2006, 1:28 am Thread Starter
Addict

New Corbin Saddle Project

If Corbin and I can work out the schedule, I'm going to let them use my bike as a guinea pig for designing a new front and rear saddle for the new KGT. The project will take about 8 weeks but I have extensive business travel coming up anyway. As we go forward I'll keep everyone posted on the progress and schedule. AND if anyone has any suggestions for saddle design and areas needing extra support please let me know and I'll share them with Corbin. Thanks in advance to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2006, 7:23 am

I think that it would be really cool if they also came out with a "smuggler" option for the GT like they have for the RT.

Brian
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2006, 7:45 am

I second the smuggler design. Also ,how about some sort of removeable back rest WITH arm rests as in the LT and Goldwing back rests they make. I know that pillion backrests with arm rests wont interest everyone ,but a removable one would be good for the big rides. Will the Corbin seat keep the heating?
Also ,maybe not quite so squared off, around the edges would be good ,just so you can still hang off the seat a little bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2006, 1:28 pm

Smuggler plus heated seats - definitely!! They better plan on a large production run.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2006, 1:30 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Ok. So far, smuggler, heated seats and soft corners on the transition from the butt surface to the sides.

What about extra thigh support, or more of more of a contoured pocket?
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2006, 2:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT
If Corbin and I can work out the schedule, I'm going to let them use my bike as a guinea pig for designing a new front and rear saddle for the new KGT. The project will take about 8 weeks but I have extensive business travel coming up anyway. As we go forward I'll keep everyone posted on the progress and schedule. AND if anyone has any suggestions for saddle design and areas needing extra support please let me know and I'll share them with Corbin. Thanks in advance to all.
All I want is a seat that doesn't look like it doesn't belong on this bike (like a Russell does) and one that will allow me to ride 400-600 miles per day.

Anything above that is just gravy.

-mark=
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2006, 2:56 pm

Yeh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr500
I second the smuggler design. Also ,how about some sort of removeable back rest WITH arm rests as in the LT and Goldwing back rests they make. I know that pillion backrests with arm rests wont interest everyone ,but a removable one would be good for the big rides. Will the Corbin seat keep the heating?
Also ,maybe not quite so squared off, around the edges would be good ,just so you can still hang off the seat a little bit.
And...don't forget to round off the padding on the arm rests cause you don't want to get hung up on those either...when you're hanging off....

Doug
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2006, 3:24 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Absolutely nothing against removeable back rest WITH arm rests idea. cr500 is clearly a creative thinker. BUT as a priority, I agree that the two top priorities should be that the seat will allow a painless 600 mile day AND be aesthetically pleasing on the KGT. The lounge chair strapped to a motorcycle look is not what we are going for here!

I've used Corbin saddles for over 15 years and personally, I have found that the piping at the seam can become uncomfortable on a long ride. This could be an inherent Corbin design requirement for stitching durability and can't be avoided. Has anyone else had any issues with the seat piping?
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2006, 3:45 pm Thread Starter
Addict

And one more thing, I just talked with Corbin about the seat heaters to make sure that they make every effort to make their seat heater simply plug into the BMW seat heater system. No need reinvent the wheel when we already have handle bar control switches and LED indicators.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2006, 3:56 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMGT
All I want is a seat that doesn't look like it doesn't belong on this bike (like a Russell does) and one that will allow me to ride 400-600 miles per day.

Anything above that is just gravy.

-mark=

+1

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode