Starting Long Ride Today - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2006, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Starting Long Ride Today

Seeking thoughts on starting a ride from Northern VA to Norman OK on a 2006 K1200GT. With the effects of Ernesto (predicted rain and winds for at least the first 375 miles of a 1320 mile trip) would anyone bother?

I do not like the GT's performance in rain and wind, but seeking other thoughts.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2006, 10:25 am

Actually I think that the GT performs GREAT in rain and wind. However, how it does in rain is more a matter of the tires you are running on. IMHO the Metzlers do a better job in the rain the the B'Stones.

I say go for it. You can be out of the swath of the storm pretty quickly.

Brian
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2006, 12:38 pm
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
Actually I think that the GT performs GREAT in rain and wind. However, how it does in rain is more a matter of the tires you are running on. IMHO the Metzlers do a better job in the rain the the B'Stones.
Brian
+1

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2006, 1:23 pm

We're getting slammed by Ernesto right now; we were leaving this morning for the Sherando Lake (VA) rally, but won't go until tomorrow..way too much water on the roads. I'd wait until tomorrow to leave since hydroplanning is no fun on any bike. Oh, and what do you mean by not liking it in rain and wind? Having done lots of both up in Canada in July, it's great (in my opinion).
Greg
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2006, 2:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC
We're getting slammed by Ernesto right now; we were leaving this morning for the Sherando Lake (VA) rally, but won't go until tomorrow..way too much water on the roads. I'd wait until tomorrow to leave since hydroplanning is no fun on any bike. Oh, and what do you mean by not liking it in rain and wind? Having done lots of both up in Canada in July, it's great (in my opinion).
Greg
Greg, if you leave this afternoon, I believe you'll have your choice of the best campsite.

Happy trails!
Bob Chapman
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2006, 5:56 pm
Telepathetic

Well since you are seeking thoughts, I would have thought of some place besides Norman, OK to ride to.

Enjoy the ride.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2006, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

I was going to Norman to watch a football game, get in pre-retirement longride.

To me the GT is a bit flighty in the rain and wind (e.g., the combination). The rear tire seems to have the same level of traction as the front.

I have only ridden in Germany, France, Austria, England, Scotland, and in eastern parts of the United States and on BMWs, Yamahas, and Suzukis so my experience is a bit limited. But, having ridden in several severe (e.g., Earnesto) conditions, I would have gone on the K1200LT I traded for the GT without thinking about the conditions now. I guess I am still adjusting having only ridden the GT for 2.5 months.

I am going to switch tires when they wear out (talked to the service manager about it just yesterday in preparation for the trip), but the tires still have about 40% of the life left.

Thanks for the replies. As mentioned, I will switch tires so I genuiely appreciate the several comments.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode