7.0 results ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2006, 11:38 am Thread Starter

7.0 results ?

Is it possible for the people who have had the 7.0 update to give a detailed report of their results as to the bikes performance? Several threads have already talked about the difficulty of obtaining the upgrade so what would be of value is info on weather the 7.0 lost any performance on bikes that did not have the low speed issues. Is throttle response and/or acceleration reduced? Some have said that 6th gear "snap" is reduced on the freeway.
THe real question is is it worth doing if the bike does not have the low speed issues?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2006, 12:12 pm

Angry throttle response

I did have the low speed issues so I had the 7.0 installed yesterday and now the low speed issues seem to have been resolved.
But now I don't seem to have that snap you mentioned. I know the bike has a different personality than before and I'm going to have to go through a learning cycle but I am a little disappointed about the seemingly loss of zip.
If I roll the throttle on gradually, it's fine but quick throttle response is lazier than before.

it is un-natural for man to be in a cage
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2006, 12:57 pm

The bike always had a tendency to only come to life after 5000rpm. You get 'snap' above, but not below.

All i'm asking is whether you're absolutely sure.

This upgrade hasn't made any negative difference to mine.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2006, 2:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMODOC 22
Is it possible for the people who have had the 7.0 update to give a detailed report of their results as to the bikes performance? Several threads have already talked about the difficulty of obtaining the upgrade so what would be of value is info on weather the 7.0 lost any performance on bikes that did not have the low speed issues. Is throttle response and/or acceleration reduced? Some have said that 6th gear "snap" is reduced on the freeway.
THe real question is is it worth doing if the bike does not have the low speed issues?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I did not have the low speed issue and I got the 7.0 on my K12S.

The "dramatic" rush just above 7000 has been reduced / removed. I still feel the power but it's delivered more linear over a broader range (6000 - 9000).

/M
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2006, 3:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMODOC 22
Is it possible for the people who have had the 7.0 update to give a detailed report of their results as to the bikes performance? .... THe real question is is it worth doing if the bike does not have the low speed issues? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
My GT didn't really have any low speed issues, or at least I didn't think it did until I rode my wife's after she had the new software installed.

I just got mine updated this morning. I don't have many miles on it since the upgrade (about fifty), but the difference is amazing. My GT is now the gentleman's performance tourer that I expected from BMW!

Just off idle, it is very smooth, like well tuned carbureted bikes of the past. At least as good as my Goldwing, actually, better I think. I can now idle along at 1,000 RPM in third gear, and smoothly pick up speed, as little or as much as I like. NICE!

Only a stop watch or some electronic gear could prove to me whether there was any performance hit, but it doesn't feel like it. It IS somewhat easier to maintain a comfortable cruising speed, but a twist of the wrist brings the speed from seventy MPH to over one hundred VERY quickly. I made no attempt to go beyond that, as the LEO's are running radar like mad today, I suppose to try to slow the early holiday traffic a bit. (It's NOT working!) It still shoots up to speed like a rocket, it's just a lot more mellow at low speeds.

I really think that anyone that thinks its slower after the upgrade is confusing the previous abrupt power transitions for a LOT of power (just MY opinion). A dyno would tell for sure what's going on, but I gotta say I'm a very happy camper. Now, if I can only get a decent seat, it'll be the PERFECT motorcycle for me!

BTW, there was no hassle getting it installed. The owner's son asked me if I had time for him to do it while I was there for another issue (Tail trunk latch), and since I did, he ran it right in and did it himself, as the mechanics were busy. Those people may not sell cheap (although there was no charge for the upgrade), but they sure do take good care of us customers! Three cheers for Gulf Coast Motorcycles in Fort Myers, FL !!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 12:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by da56panman
I did have the low speed issues so I had the 7.0 installed yesterday and now the low speed issues seem to have been resolved.
But now I don't seem to have that snap you mentioned. I know the bike has a different personality than before and I'm going to have to go through a learning cycle but I am a little disappointed about the seemingly loss of zip.
If I roll the throttle on gradually, it's fine but quick throttle response is lazier than before.
I would agree with this response.
I have not gotten the 7.0 upgrade yet, but I rode a GT with the 7.0 installed. It could be my imagination but I thought at 70 MPH there was less acceleration. I did not ride the upgraded bike long.

I am very interested in everyone's perceptions after the upgrade.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 1:33 am
Addict

Like NOMODOC 22 have been patiently reading the software upgrade posts on this subject and so far I believe that the pros are ahead of the cons. Taking this into consideration I contacted my dealer's service department to ask if I should have the upgrade done during my first service and I was surpised that I got a similar response as others have. The tech said it could take hours to do and that I should only have it done if I'm having drivability problems. I contribute this to a simple lack of experience by the shop on performing the upgrade. In any case for now I'll just wait knowing that I can have it done later under warranty if I need it. By-the-way, I really haven't had any low rpm/speed issues yet. However, I have noticed that if I apply the throttle just right around 2500 rpm I can get what others have called an abrupt power surge but gentle applications of the throttle so far seem to prevent it. Let's face it, with a 152 hp motorcycle, a few YEE HAW! moments have to be expected.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 3:32 am Thread Starter

Interesting replies. Careful review of this subject on this and other forums has led me (rightly or wrongly) to the following conclusions about the k1200GT upgrade......

1. Reports from outside North America seem to indicate a higher incidence and severity of the drivability issues. This may be due to more consumer protection and product liability legislation in the USA.

2. The consensus is that the 7.0 upgrade does not significantly degrade GT performance but does indeed alter drivability and that this change is apparently welcomed by most.

3. All seem to like the electrical changes.....no accessory shutoff, increased screen visibility etc. Some report smoother shifting as well.

4. The skill, experience and enthusiasm of the dealers varies widely. Larger, more service oriented dealers seem to have no problem with the upgrade to 7.0. BMWNA does indeed cover the cost if the owner sees it as a warranty issue.

5. As yet no significant bad effects have been reported.

As a result of this synopsis of many owners experiences, and after the assurances of my trusted dealer I will have 7.0 installed next week.This on a bike with no low speed issues. I will be going to Utah on a 2500 mile trip shortly thereafter and will report back my impressions with hopefully no regrets !

Last edited by NOMODOC 22; Sep 2nd, 2006 at 3:42 am.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 9:29 am
Addict-oholic

Well thought out description of the issues for the update. I have the low speed throttling issues. I think this will make my bike much more rideable in heavy traffic ( or even at the top of my driveway, as I turn into the road). Getting it a week from Monday
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 2:29 pm

Thumbs up Happy GT!!

I had the 7.0 upgrade done this morning.

What a difference!! I did have the low speed throttle issue and now it is as smooth as I had hoped it would be. On deceleration, the rpm's drop much more slowly (gradually) and smoothly.

The acceleration seems more linear now. The bike is still fast and has no more effort to reach 100+ mph.

The work was done under warranty and took about an hour. I met MarkMGT at the dealer this morning. He was next in line for the upgrade and I will be curious to compare notes after his bike is finished.

Thank you BMW and my dealer in Ventura!!

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode