In the hunt for an '07 GT - Wondering about wiring - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 5:55 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

In the hunt for an '07 GT - Wondering about wiring

Hi all! This is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a while. Thought if I read enough complaints about the GT, I'd talk myself out of getting one You guys failed to deter me with the seat, windscreen, horn and key threads so I got a demo ride on an 06 a couple weeks ago ... and I'm in lust! What a bike!!

Just sent my dealer (I ride an 04 RT) an e-mail asking about availability, pricing, etc. on an 07, so I'm sure it'll be a while before I'm a new owner, but the process is underway!

My question is this: I keep reading posts on this and other boards questioning CANBUS and adding farkles. My dealer says the standard powerlet on the side of the GT is rated for no more than 4 amps. I'd guess that's fine for the GPS and (separate) satellite radio I plan to put up front, but not for Gerbings. The dealer said they'd add a second powerlet and run it straight from the battery (for a small charge -- no pun intended ). I suppose that would do the trick for Gerbings, etc.? But will I have difficulty securing the wiring from the original powerlet up to the dash out of the way? Should I try to re-locate that powerlet (the 4 amp one) somewhere closer to the dash like I did on my RT?

And sorry in advance if I have missed this information elsewhere ... I did read the Canbus 101 thread but didn't see this specifically addressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 8:52 pm
Veteran

I did the Powerlet socket thing just last week and just for the reasons you mentioned: Gerbings. They suggested their 48" lead one and it fit like it was made for the bike. I used double-stick Velcro on their fuseholder and stuck it on top of the battery. There was some other dealer stuff added that didn't allow for it to rest next to the battery (left side). I needed to pull the left side of the bike off to route the wires up to the battery. Their socket fit ideal, although the BMW one stays in the up position (detent), the Powerlet socket I have doesn't.

I made the mistake of having the dealer add another stock BMW socket to the one that came with the bike. Cuts the current down to half if you run stuff in both sockets. The third available cut-out beneath the stock two is where I put the added Powerlet socket (there are three available locations on that plastic plate. They simply punch out). I believe the Powerlet socket lead is fused for 15 amps (???).

The dealer hooked the GPS into the stock GPS plug up front (BMW Navigator). No doubt you could use the same lead. He added a CAN-Bus switch to the radar detector and a relay for the caliper-mounted Motolights. So far eveything works okay.

Good luck and enjoy the bike when you get it!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 9:00 pm

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, but what are farkles or Gerbings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 9:06 pm
Statmaster

Farkles -- Accessories, gadgets, whatever doodads we install on our bikes. Also a word despised by Joe (messenger13)

Gerbings -- Brand of heated clothing.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 9:44 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Thanks! That helps.

David
Bridgewater, VA
-----------
2007 K1200GT (coming soon!!)
2004 BMW R1150RT (going)
2001 Kawaski W650 (sold)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:27 pm

Me too... I took a test ride on an 06 GT (I ride an 03 LT) and now have the bug. On the LT I run sat radio, GPS, piia lights, and heated vest. Can the GT take it?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:53 pm
Addict

For those with more knowledge than myself feel free to jump in but here's my response to OdysseyMed. The GT has one of the highest output alternators at 954 Watts so keeping everything running and still having a enough left over to charge the battery should never be a problem. The trick is to not hack into the Canbus wiring system just anywhere to find a power supply for farkles or heated whatevers. That's why you need to add a Canbus helper such as the Touratech TPS15 or similar product. With everything connected as planned, the main power supply to all the accessories is coming from the Canbus helper. The power to the Canbus helper is coming directly from the battery. Power to the Canbus helper is controlled by a very low amperage relay. The relay is turned on and off by the ignition key when the relay control wire is plugged into the accessory plug correctly. There's several threads on this subject and really great on going one with Canbus 101 in the title. Others can undoubtably offer more information on this. Good luck.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 7:20 am
Strafist

Hey Joe, farkle, farkle, farkle!!!!

Hey David, it is real simple to add a fuse box/relay. Plus, I just can't believ the room under the panels of these bikes. There is more room than the LT. Unbelievable.

I can't wait to have a GT tech session in my gearage.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:51 am

Do you take farkle appointments?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 1:00 pm

I installed 2 fuse blocks on my GT. One under the left upper Tupperware...it's always ON. That's for my GPS, cell phone charger, and intercom. All low-voltage devices that I always want ON and they couldn't discharge the battery of the GT if they tried. The other fuseblock is a relay-controlled Centech AP-1 under the passenger seat. The low-beam trips it's relay. I use this block for my MotoLights, and soon-to-be-installed air compressor. Any new farkles could easily be installed to either location, depending on it's application.

Repeat after me, "Fuse blocks are our friends.".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode