GT Cannibalizing Sales of LT & RT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 9:58 am Thread Starter

GT Cannibalizing Sales of LT & RT?

When I went shopping for the new GT this year, I also looked in the BMW line at the LT and the RT. To me the GT was the hands down winner over the RT and gave me the ability to lux-tour like the LT without the added size and in a more spirited way.

Granted, I am sure that there will always be a place for the LT with a certain demographic, but it sure seems to me that the GT sales will start to eat into the RT - especially at the same price pointing. Further, I think that there is a certain population that would normally have bought an LT that may opt for the GT instead.

I am just wondering if we are maybe seeing the end of the RT as we know it, and will LT sales drop as well?

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 10:20 am
Statmaster

I think the RT still has appeal for those who do not like the more agressive ergonomics, and are not interested in the power that the slant-4 platform offers (yes, there are a lot of people out there that think that way, strange as it may be).

The LT is 100% focused on being a 2-up luxury touring machine. There are a lot of us 1-up riders who bought the LT over the RT or previous-generation GT/RS because of the ergonomics and creature comforts. Now that the new GT is out, we've found the bike we've been looking for.

Sure, this will cut into RT and LT sales a bit, especially with the LT slated for a redesign for the 2008 model year. But if you are looking at a 2-up luxury touring machine, the LT and RT are your bikes. If you are riding 1-up and want the best of both the sport and luxury touring world, the new GT is just the ticket.

On a side note, the GT is getting a lot of attention from the FJR1200 and ST1300 community. I know two FJR riders and three ST riders who have made the jump. The biggest praise the ex-FJR owners give it are heat managment and the power. The biggest praise the ex-ST owners give it are high speed stability and the power. It seems to me that BMW has made a better mousetrap (and having had the FJR and ST lessons learned to put into it).

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 10:52 am

Having owned all three of these BMW models I can agree on certain points of the effect you're talking about.
Many of the died-in-the-wool BMW folks of course don't see any design other than the boxer, being a real BMW.

The LT is truly THE luxo touring bike almost without a doubt, where as the RT is and has been one of the sweetest sport=touring rigs around.

If my 12RT had cruise-control I "may" have not switched to the GT. I don't really need the massive power of the GT, but do enjoy it, and the slightly more relaxed ergos of the RT were more to my liking.

Being a Shopper looking at the new BMW line-up, it'll be alittle tougher decision now, with the GT in the mix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 11:42 am
Strafist

I think they should have named the GT the K1200RT. They seem purdy dayem close to looks, even the bags are the same, to moi.

BTW Jeff, is GT and acronym for goat, as in Boer?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 12:13 pm Thread Starter

I agree with the thoughts on the LT. It is a dominant force in the luxury touring segment. But if a new BMW buyer goes into a showroom today, I think that they will have a hard time deciding to buy an RT if a GT is sitting there. At least when all of the design features are shown to them on each bike, and they see the nearly identical price point.

Brian
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 6:15 pm
WMD

Smile GT- 2 up

It is mostly a matter of personal preference.
Our previous ride was a 98 KRS. I bought the GT specifically as a 2-up sport tourer. Typical distance for us is 350 - 450 miles per day. Neither my wife or I are small but we found the GT ergonomics to be equivalent to the RT . The power of the GT is better than our KRS and the ease of handling (once you are over 15 mph) is very close to the RT. And as the bags are the same between the 2 bikes (read storage space for the hair dryer) the GT got the nod.

Given our size almost all of the salesmen tried to convince us that the LT was the better mission specific vehicle - but to quote my wife " it did not handle well" - and she definitely was not interested in purchasing one. She definitely prefers the ride of the GT over the LT. She has strictly been a pillon rider for all these years - though she did just finish the Safety Course and now has her permit.

I think for very long distances (800+ per day) the LT would be a better bike - but we don't do those distances. 500 - 550 is the max when we are 2 up.

Bill
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 6:32 pm
Just saying hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
... I am just wondering if we are maybe seeing the end of the RT as we know it, ...
Interesting question. I know I'll be leaving behind the (1150) RT for the GT. But I really had no interest in the 12RT. If I weren't set on the GT, the other bikes I'd be after are, in order:

- The Yamaha FJR1300 ... probably would already have an 06 in the garage if the new GT hadn't come out this summer.
- Honda ST13 -- if they fix the heat issue in 07, so probably not
- New Kawasaki sport-tourer rumored to be coming out next year based on the ZX14 (Dealer's a friend of mine and Kawa might just hit a home run with this).

You may be right, but somehow I think the RT will continue to sell. There is something about the boxer that's, well, special. The big news, IMHO, is that BMW has leapfrogged Yamaha and Honda in the 4-cyl, high-performance, sport-touring class.

David
Bridgewater, VA
-----------
2007 K1200GT (coming soon!!)
2004 BMW R1150RT (going)
2001 Kawaski W650 (sold)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 7:15 pm

The boxer fans will never come over to the dark side...they live, drink, eat and
probably have sex with their boxers. Solid motor - can't blame em'!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 7:20 pm
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
The boxer fans will never come over to the dark side...they live, drink, eat and

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
Can't blame them for which part?! The sex?!?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode