motolights install - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 2:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Unhappy motolights install

OK, I am not brilliant when it comes to electronics. I want to install motolights on my 06 KGT. I can get them on the calipers ok but then what? I want to wire them to the low beam wire as suggested by Randy in CANBUS 101. My issue is how do I get to that wire? I can see it and touch it but I do not have sufficient room to tie into it. Do I need to remove some plastic, and if so where and how is the best way to access this area? And, what the heck do you do with all that wire and relay and switch etc.? Simply stuffing it in there somewhere seems crummy to me. Lastly, would you suggest a thread lock or loctite type product on the replaced caliper bolts? Any help is greatly appreciated. By the way I emailed Randy direct and he graciously replied even though he was travelling home from Georgia. He promised to respond later but time constraint dictates I can't wait. THANKS EVERYONE. Bucky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 2:56 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky1943
OK, I am not brilliant when it comes to electronics. I want to install motolights on my 06 KGT. I can get them on the calipers ok but then what? I want to wire them to the low beam wire as suggested by Randy in CANBUS 101. My issue is how do I get to that wire? I can see it and touch it but I do not have sufficient room to tie into it. Do I need to remove some plastic, and if so where and how is the best way to access this area? And, what the heck do you do with all that wire and relay and switch etc.? Simply stuffing it in there somewhere seems crummy to me. Lastly, would you suggest a thread lock or loctite type product on the replaced caliper bolts? Any help is greatly appreciated. By the way I emailed Randy direct and he graciously replied even though he was travelling home from Georgia. He promised to respond later but time constraint dictates I can't wait. THANKS EVERYONE. Bucky
I'd remove plastic. It's real easy to do and you'll do a better job. Plus, you'll be able to stash the relay and wire under the panels, lots of room there. Be sure to leave the plugs from each light within easy reach in case you have to replace a light or wiring harness. Don't ask me how I know. Also, I know they supply Scotch locks to tap into wiring. I never use a Scotch lock on a bike. Not only does it impinge, or open up, your wiring to the elements, but vibration, in the long run, could cause problems down the road. I've never had an electrical problem on a bike, but I solder, shrink wrap, tape and loom.

DO NOT use loctite on the caliper bolts.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 4:57 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the good info.. I want to remove the panel directly over that area in front of the storage compartment. There are 4 visible screws (including the 2 under the storage cover) but it appears that it, and the opposite 4 screws on the left side (as you sit on it) all attach to the same piece of plastic. If I remove all 8 screws I still cannot remove that cover. Do I have to remove the screws in the instrument cluster and windshield area as well. I have not tried to force anything. Also, I know removal of the side fairing does not give any access needed. Sorry to be so dumb, but I want this done right, and like you I will not use the scotch connectors. Thanks for this, and on a holiday! Bucky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode