seven point ugh! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 5:29 pm Thread Starter

seven point ugh!

Calling all 7.0 upgraders...

I'd have to say that I'm mixed about 7.0. The K1200XP — I mean GT — is much smoother and much more predictable — that's all positive. Riding through town has none of the jerking that was previously there. (In retrospect, it wasn't so bad if you puttered in second gear.) But I've experienced an unexpected downside of 7.0, and I'd like to know if others are experiencing it:

4800 rpm. Third gear, fourth gear, you decide. Coasting at a steady 60-or-so mph. Twist the throttle for more speed. The motorcycle either slows down, engine brakes, hesitates — I can't figure out exactly what's happening. It's a Bermuda Triangle. All I know is that I roll on the throttle, expecting to go faster, and momentarily I go slower. Then jolt faster. It doesn't happen every time, only when you are lulled into ultraconfidence by the smoothness of the acceleration and suddenly, that jerkiness. The common denominator — whenever it happens, I look down at the tach and it's always the same story: 4800 rpm.

Has anyone else experienced anything remotely similar? Maybe it's just me — my riding style, aggressive throttle, whatever. Or maybe it's completely normal and expected — a lag at the tipping point of acceleration. I just need to know from someone smarter than me.

And yes, I've reset the ECM since having the upgrade done by disconnecting the positive cable on the battery for 30 minutes plus, resulting in a reset clock and BC but no improvements otherwise.

Thanks all.

Last edited by diggitydogg; Sep 4th, 2006 at 5:39 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 6:09 pm

reset ----

I believe you have to connect the positive and negative cable together for over 1/2 hr to clear the adaptive memory....

Try that and see what happens.

Cheers.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 7:31 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydogg
Calling all 7.0 upgraders...

I'd have to say that I'm mixed about 7.0. The K1200XP — I mean GT — is much smoother and much more predictable — that's all positive. Riding through town has none of the jerking that was previously there. (In retrospect, it wasn't so bad if you puttered in second gear.) But I've experienced an unexpected downside of 7.0, and I'd like to know if others are experiencing it:

4800 rpm. Third gear, fourth gear, you decide. Coasting at a steady 60-or-so mph. Twist the throttle for more speed. The motorcycle either slows down, engine brakes, hesitates — I can't figure out exactly what's happening. It's a Bermuda Triangle. All I know is that I roll on the throttle, expecting to go faster, and momentarily I go slower. Then jolt faster. It doesn't happen every time, only when you are lulled into ultraconfidence by the smoothness of the acceleration and suddenly, that jerkiness. The common denominator — whenever it happens, I look down at the tach and it's always the same story: 4800 rpm.

Has anyone else experienced anything remotely similar? Maybe it's just me — my riding style, aggressive throttle, whatever. Or maybe it's completely normal and expected — a lag at the tipping point of acceleration. I just need to know from someone smarter than me.

And yes, I've reset the ECM since having the upgrade done by disconnecting the positive cable on the battery for 30 minutes plus, resulting in a reset clock and BC but no improvements otherwise.

Thanks all.
Mine is the same as your's, the best way to describe it is an occasional hesitation.
I'd rather have the occasional hesitation than the jerky light switch throttle I had before.
Looks like an 8.0 might be next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billg
Mine is the same as your's, the best way to describe it is an occasional hesitation.
I'd rather have the occasional hesitation than the jerky light switch throttle I had before.
Not that we have a choice — apparently the upgrade is nonreversible.

Thanks BillG. Anyone else, or is it only GTs in New Jersey that are affected?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2006, 2:34 pm
Enthusiast

Just did 800 miles and had several instances of the 'bucking throttle', no pun intended. It is sporadic which makes it frustrating. It seems to occur most often going downhill with the throttle constant or slightly closing. It can really make corners interesting, and sometimes unsafe.

I haven't had the update yet. My RT surged so bad I finally broke down after 6k miles and bought the Techlusion. My GT isn't nearly that bad...yet.

Check out the new issue of Motorcyclist, there's a tech article on custom tuning a Power commander. They got 8 HP and several ft lb of torque increases at 20% and 30 % throttle, right where you need it on the street. I'd trust the aftermarket before I'd trust the factory. Surging, what surging?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 3:38 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeler
Just did 800 miles and had several instances of the 'bucking throttle', no pun intended. It is sporadic which makes it frustrating. It seems to occur most often going downhill with the throttle constant or slightly closing. It can really make corners interesting, and sometimes unsafe.

I haven't had the update yet. My RT surged so bad I finally broke down after 6k miles and bought the Techlusion. My GT isn't nearly that bad...yet.

Check out the new issue of Motorcyclist, there's a tech article on custom tuning a Power commander. They got 8 HP and several ft lb of torque increases at 20% and 30 % throttle, right where you need it on the street. I'd trust the aftermarket before I'd trust the factory. Surging, what surging?
This is exactly the behavior that the update cures. My bike is fine now, and running between 6000rpm and 10000 rpm it seems to have plenty of power . Of course, you can never have too much power, so if you do go powercommander/Techlusion plenty of people will be VERY interested in the difference.

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode