seven point ugh! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 5:29 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , NJ, USA
Posts: 156
seven point ugh!

Calling all 7.0 upgraders...

I'd have to say that I'm mixed about 7.0. The K1200XP — I mean GT — is much smoother and much more predictable — that's all positive. Riding through town has none of the jerking that was previously there. (In retrospect, it wasn't so bad if you puttered in second gear.) But I've experienced an unexpected downside of 7.0, and I'd like to know if others are experiencing it:

4800 rpm. Third gear, fourth gear, you decide. Coasting at a steady 60-or-so mph. Twist the throttle for more speed. The motorcycle either slows down, engine brakes, hesitates — I can't figure out exactly what's happening. It's a Bermuda Triangle. All I know is that I roll on the throttle, expecting to go faster, and momentarily I go slower. Then jolt faster. It doesn't happen every time, only when you are lulled into ultraconfidence by the smoothness of the acceleration and suddenly, that jerkiness. The common denominator — whenever it happens, I look down at the tach and it's always the same story: 4800 rpm.

Has anyone else experienced anything remotely similar? Maybe it's just me — my riding style, aggressive throttle, whatever. Or maybe it's completely normal and expected — a lag at the tipping point of acceleration. I just need to know from someone smarter than me.

And yes, I've reset the ECM since having the upgrade done by disconnecting the positive cable on the battery for 30 minutes plus, resulting in a reset clock and BC but no improvements otherwise.

Thanks all.

Last edited by diggitydogg; Sep 4th, 2006 at 5:39 pm.
diggitydogg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 6:09 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dayton, Oh, USA
Posts: 96
reset ----

I believe you have to connect the positive and negative cable together for over 1/2 hr to clear the adaptive memory....

Try that and see what happens.

Cheers.
clickr is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 7:31 pm
Enthusiast
 
billg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, NJ, USA
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydogg
Calling all 7.0 upgraders...

I'd have to say that I'm mixed about 7.0. The K1200XP — I mean GT — is much smoother and much more predictable — that's all positive. Riding through town has none of the jerking that was previously there. (In retrospect, it wasn't so bad if you puttered in second gear.) But I've experienced an unexpected downside of 7.0, and I'd like to know if others are experiencing it:

4800 rpm. Third gear, fourth gear, you decide. Coasting at a steady 60-or-so mph. Twist the throttle for more speed. The motorcycle either slows down, engine brakes, hesitates — I can't figure out exactly what's happening. It's a Bermuda Triangle. All I know is that I roll on the throttle, expecting to go faster, and momentarily I go slower. Then jolt faster. It doesn't happen every time, only when you are lulled into ultraconfidence by the smoothness of the acceleration and suddenly, that jerkiness. The common denominator — whenever it happens, I look down at the tach and it's always the same story: 4800 rpm.

Has anyone else experienced anything remotely similar? Maybe it's just me — my riding style, aggressive throttle, whatever. Or maybe it's completely normal and expected — a lag at the tipping point of acceleration. I just need to know from someone smarter than me.

And yes, I've reset the ECM since having the upgrade done by disconnecting the positive cable on the battery for 30 minutes plus, resulting in a reset clock and BC but no improvements otherwise.

Thanks all.
Mine is the same as your's, the best way to describe it is an occasional hesitation.
I'd rather have the occasional hesitation than the jerky light switch throttle I had before.
Looks like an 8.0 might be next.
billg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 9:43 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , NJ, USA
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by billg
Mine is the same as your's, the best way to describe it is an occasional hesitation.
I'd rather have the occasional hesitation than the jerky light switch throttle I had before.
Not that we have a choice — apparently the upgrade is nonreversible.

Thanks BillG. Anyone else, or is it only GTs in New Jersey that are affected?
diggitydogg is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2006, 2:34 pm
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Batavia, IL,
Posts: 238
Just did 800 miles and had several instances of the 'bucking throttle', no pun intended. It is sporadic which makes it frustrating. It seems to occur most often going downhill with the throttle constant or slightly closing. It can really make corners interesting, and sometimes unsafe.

I haven't had the update yet. My RT surged so bad I finally broke down after 6k miles and bought the Techlusion. My GT isn't nearly that bad...yet.

Check out the new issue of Motorcyclist, there's a tech article on custom tuning a Power commander. They got 8 HP and several ft lb of torque increases at 20% and 30 % throttle, right where you need it on the street. I'd trust the aftermarket before I'd trust the factory. Surging, what surging?
2wheeler is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 3:38 am
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 108
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeler
Just did 800 miles and had several instances of the 'bucking throttle', no pun intended. It is sporadic which makes it frustrating. It seems to occur most often going downhill with the throttle constant or slightly closing. It can really make corners interesting, and sometimes unsafe.

I haven't had the update yet. My RT surged so bad I finally broke down after 6k miles and bought the Techlusion. My GT isn't nearly that bad...yet.

Check out the new issue of Motorcyclist, there's a tech article on custom tuning a Power commander. They got 8 HP and several ft lb of torque increases at 20% and 30 % throttle, right where you need it on the street. I'd trust the aftermarket before I'd trust the factory. Surging, what surging?
This is exactly the behavior that the update cures. My bike is fine now, and running between 6000rpm and 10000 rpm it seems to have plenty of power . Of course, you can never have too much power, so if you do go powercommander/Techlusion plenty of people will be VERY interested in the difference.

Brian
pipenslippers is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Absolutely the most detailed description of the K1200S I've come across... sinc K12/1300S 20 Jul 19th, 2014 10:04 am
California Helmet Law Unconstitutional ? Blkvelvt Bike Talk 18 Oct 25th, 2006 6:14 pm
what is the point? Papilio Humor 1 Aug 2nd, 2006 5:25 pm
New GT Vs. Old GT ..... oil filter LTdavey K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 10 Jul 7th, 2006 8:48 pm
** Texas Hill Country Roundup, Apr 12-15, 2006 CABNFVR South Central 47 Apr 6th, 2006 9:28 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome