On Board Computer Problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2006, 2:15 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

On Board Computer Problem

We ran out of gas yesterday, in the rain, on an Interstate, in bumper-to-bumper Labor day traffic. I thought something was odd when the trip meter said 202 miles, but the miles to empty said 240. I just thought I'd forgotten to zero the trip meter at the last gas stop two days before. Nope. We coasted to the left shoulder at 265 miles with the BC showing half a tank and 165 miles to empty.

Thankfully we had just received our Cross Country club card the day we left, and a call to them had gas in the tank in about 30 minutes. When we stopped to fill the tank the BC read full, but then never went down from there all the way home. Be on the lookout and trust your gut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2006, 6:03 pm

Didn't the low petrol warning light come on?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2006, 6:49 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

No, there was no warning at all. No flashing '!' or pump symbol. It just sputtered and died.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2006, 7:09 pm

This sounds more like a sensor problem rather than a computer problem. Mostly because you state that there was no change after you filled up again.

Brian
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2006, 9:17 pm
WMD

Question Is the gas tank venting properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeler

When we stopped to fill the tank the BC read full, but then never went down from there all the way home. Be on the lookout and trust your gut.
Just a thought here. A friend has a 2005 GS and had a similar guage issue after he removed the carbon canister. Unfortunately as part of that he plugged off the vent and the gas tank built up enough pressure that the sensor was ruined. Once the sensor was replaced and the vent cleared - no problems.

In that case the gas sensor is a hydrostatic device that measures the pressure exerted by the height of the gasoline in the tank. If the tank is not properly venting the guage will read an artificially high pressure indication - and give a false reading.

Of course this is only true if the guage system is the same between the two bikes - which I think it is given the similarities in the displays.

My 2 cents,
Bill
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2006, 9:38 pm

gas cap ???

If the cap is not venting....open it up and see if the guage changes.

I notice in my Mercedes that when I fill it up and the engine is running the guage goes all over the place only settling down when I am done pumping the ga

Seems kind of strange that after you filled up...the gage did indicate any difference.

Dealer warranty - I would say.

Hope you get it fixed:

You haven't taken the tank off for any reason have you? Or installed any options that might have disconnected a wire or two?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 6:27 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

No, i haven't removed the tank or the cannister. The only thing I did was reset the average speed and miles per gallon the day before. I will have to take it to the dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode