No Clutch = Snick - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2006, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

No Clutch = Snick

I have been doing a lot of clutchless up-shifting and have noticed that the cluck is significantly reduced when I do not use my left hand. Not being a mechanical type, I was wondering if someone here could maybe give an explanation as to why this is.

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 1:01 am
Addict

Here's my theory from other machines and my own experiments with non factory tire diameters. The cluck is driveline backlash. At lower speeds there's not enough load plus what I suspect is more gear lash in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears anyway. So as soon as you pull the clutch in the lower gears at lower speeds everything is allowed to go slack in the entire driveline. Grab the next gear, release the clutch and all that slack is taken up at once and cluck happens. Without the clutch, the driveline is virtually always under load so no opportunity for cluck. As long as you hit the engine rpm/gear rotation sweet spot everytime, up and down shifts are fine clutchless. Missing the sweet spot could have dire consequences.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 8:35 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT
As long as you hit the engine rpm/gear rotation sweet spot everytime, up and down shifts are fine clutchless. Missing the sweet spot could have dire consequences.
Sweet spot? Oh chit...

Hopefully this sweet spot is between 6k-8k rpm.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 8:06 pm

but the clunk -----

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT
Here's my theory from other machines and my own experiments with non factory tire diameters. The cluck is driveline backlash. At lower speeds there's not enough load plus what I suspect is more gear lash in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears anyway. So as soon as you pull the clutch in the lower gears at lower speeds everything is allowed to go slack in the entire driveline. Grab the next gear, release the clutch and all that slack is taken up at once and cluck happens. Without the clutch, the driveline is virtually always under load so no opportunity for cluck. As long as you hit the engine rpm/gear rotation sweet spot everytime, up and down shifts are fine clutchless. Missing the sweet spot could have dire consequences.

The clunk happened to my demo ride after pulling in the clutch and shifting.....don't have to let the clutch out to get the clunk....

I was too interested in the overall demo to try and figure it out but it was annoying. 2nd to third and up was smooth as silk. I belive the theory on air in the cluch line is more likely than not. Downshifting was not very smooth. It would be interesting to measure the distance of the travel of the clutch basket to determine if it is fully releasing or not.

Hopefull I will have one in the next two months to have the same "problems" -- yea bring them on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode