Fuel Gauge Problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 4:26 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Fuel Gauge Problem

Hi
I have noticed in my first 3 fill ups that i'm only getting 200 miles and the gauge showing 20 miles till empty and the average miles per gallon reads 55mpg. I'm then putting in 19+ litres of fuel and the bike shows 280 miles or there abouts of tank range, so the gauge cannt be trusted . I had my first service yesterday in readyness for my european trip on friday and they said BMW were aware of the problem and were working on a software upgrade, anyone else have a fuel gauge giving such readings and have you heard about a software upgrade?
Also just tried my Garmin 2820 for the first time yesterday and the initial findings are great but will report back after my 3,000 mile trip in a couple of weeks.

Safe riding

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 1:19 pm
I'm riding

Well, I noticed some strange readings of BC in this relation but not sure if it was fuel gauge. Did not ride past two weeks so had no chance to prove my suspicions.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 3:07 pm

During my last trip last week, I closely observed the behavior of the BC. Once mine gets to 0 miles left, I basically have a whole gallon to go. It's as if the count down does NOT include the gallon of reserve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2006, 6:00 am

B C

Hell, my gas gage keeps on blinking after I fill it up. I switch off the engine, then restart and drive it . It still keeps telling me Im out of gas. Dealer said bring it in and we will reset the computer. Thats only 180 miles one way.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2006, 9:10 am

The computer is a little liberal with it's estimates. Yesterday while driving home from the Pentagon the range estimate went to 40 miles (twice) then after a turn and some tasty acceleration the range estimate was back to 65-70 miles. The computer is doing a constant "snapshot" guesstimate given the current driving conditions -- it ain't perfect.

Sitting on 66 in the morning it looks terrible, then on 110 before the Pentagon where there is no traffic and I'm sweeping through the entrance ramp to 27/395 the range and mileage is high... it's just confused

Mileage is slowly improving but 190-200 miles is about where the light is coming on and I'm filling up too. 600 miles service this weekend and I suspect the varying speed and "playing" with this perfectly sinful machine is mostly to blame.

Planning a trip from DC to Albuquerque and back after Thanksgiving and am hoping to be getting a little better range by then.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2006, 9:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg
Hi
I have noticed in my first 3 fill ups that i'm only getting 200 miles and the gauge showing 20 miles till empty and the average miles per gallon reads 55mpg. I'm then putting in 19+ litres of fuel and the bike shows 280 miles or there abouts of tank range, so the gauge cannt be trusted . I had my first service yesterday in readyness for my european trip on friday and they said BMW were aware of the problem and were working on a software upgrade, anyone else have a fuel gauge giving such readings and have you heard about a software upgrade?
Almost every fillup, I can only put in less than 5 US gallons. And this is with a range of anywhere from 5 - 15 showing.

I've noticed the range calculation seems to work fine until the fuel warning light comes on. However, the light seems to appear with about 2 gallons left instead of 1. Regardless of the previous ongoing range and mileage calculations, when the warning light comes on the computer will almost always show about 50 miles of range. I've driven with 0 range for quite a while and only then was able to put about 5.5 gallons in.

My dealer had a really great answer when I advised him of it - "yeah, they do that." :wtf The range shown on my old LT was spot on ... when it said 25 miles to go, that's what you had. The GTs - at least mine - is a joke.

IBA 18417
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2006, 10:26 am

Like others, my GT was pretty Conservative on fuel range left, having the low fuel come on with about two gallons left.

I had my autocom installed, along with dual horns, and new tires at the 6,000 mile service. The dealer said that they also upgraded my software again. They for sure did something, because now when the low fuel light comes on, I need 5.5 to 5.8 gallons of fuel to fill. I've been getting a pretty steady 43.5 MPG, plus or minus a couple, but I tend to "flow" with the very fastest traffic, unless traffic is moving a bit slow, then I "become" the fastest traffic!

In any case I get usually WELL over 200 miles now before the low fuel light comes on. For some strange reason, my wife's GT usually takes one or two tenths less fuel at every fill than mine.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2006, 7:33 pm

If you run you bike down to 0 miles to go, you probably still have 1 gallon in the tank... So that means you got about 2 gallon of gas when the Yellow warning light first come on.

BMW way to make sure you get gas? So they don't have to send someone out give you gas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode