1 bike or 2 - GT or R12S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 7:24 am Thread Starter
Rookie

1 bike or 2 - GT or R12S

I am a long-time K12LT rider. I originally bought it as I had intended to do 2-up riding but that came to naught. I love the LT mainly because of its comfort. I am 6'7", 240lbs and 53yo. The LT is fully paid for, in good nick and I live in Philly, where its an hour to the closest real curves, 1/2 day to the top of the BRP. The 2000 LT has 100k miles on her.

I ride for two reasons, to see the North American countryside (5 of the lower 48 to go) and to hit the curves. Lately, I have been riding a few more sporting bikes (Multistrada / VFR800 / GS, all of them flat out, I was comfortable on them all on all-day trips) and I have decided that I like these on the open road.

So I have decided my options are:

1. Trade the LT (minimal trade obviously) for a GT - have one, all-round bike.
PRO:
a. One bike, less on insurance, upkeep, easier/cheaper garaging (live in the city).
b. GT obviously capable enough in the corners.
c. GT has a cruise control, the single most important feature after the basics.

2. Keep the LT for long trips and have a more sporty bike that can still get me to the good roads...I am thinking the R1200S.
PRO:
a. Long trips remain ultimately comfortable.
b. S can be an occasional track bike if I ever go that way.
c. The S feeds my need for cornering.

Any thoughts?

Ralph

Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 7:46 am

not sure what is right for you
i just traded in my
'02 LT and '05 GS for my '07 GT..... but also bought an '07 MV Agusta Brutale 910R.... for fun

do what makes YOU happy.... but, save some money for retirement
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 8:19 am
Enthusiast

Been there done that. Note signature below. One bike. Sat for now!

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 9:01 am
Statmaster

Ralph,

I haven't ridden my LT since May 17th when I took delivery of my GT. I haven't looked back since. For me, I was able to downsize from the LT and MV Agusta to just the GT (still need to sell the LT). From my perpsective, the GT is everything I have looked for in a motorcycle. It give me the best of sport and touring. Now I have room for that GS I've always wanted.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 9:14 am
Addict

ralph, since the LT is paid for and i doubt you'd really get much for her in trade since she's got over 100,000 i'd keep the LT and go with the new r1200s. There's no sense in keeping the LT if you decided on getting the GT because the GT will do everything the LT does except faster and better handling. if you haven't already i'd test drive the bikes you're interested in buying and then make a decision. you might even want to take a look at the k1200 S or R both will give you the sport side of riding and both are pretty comfortable for all day rides. i traded a 03 RS for a 2006 "S" and for the first couple hundred miles i was very uncomfortable because the riding position on the "S" is a bit more agressive. once i got use to the new sitting position i haven't looked back since. good luck with whatever choice you make.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 1:24 pm
Enthusiast

At 6'7" the R1200S might be a tad cramped for you.

Pete
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 1:46 pm

I sold my ZX-11 and I am selling my '02 LT for my '06 GT. The GT is more than I thought it would be. Once I get the seat taken care of, it will be the LD-tourer that I had with the LT. It is better in the twisties than my Ninja was. And, it makes for a GREAT commuter bike. Any questions?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:35 pm
WMD

GT v R1200S

Ralph,
As mentioned by others - it will boil down to personal preference. For reference I am 6' 3" , 55, and 210 lbs. I live within 30 minutes to and hour of good twisties to play on - with some decent curves on my way back and forth to work. I have only had the GT for about 10 days and no where near the mileage of Joe or Jeff. I came from an 98 RS and the GT is a better handling bike on all fronts- as well as being more comfortable for solo or 2-up long distance riding.

While the handling of the GT is much improved over an RS - it still is not a true sport bike like the R1200S. My other bike is an 04 Aprilia Factory and have sat on the R1200S and found the R1200S to be a more relaxed riding position.
There is definitely a difference in handling between the GT and the Factory. The Factory is easier to transitions and can go somewhat faster through the corners, - and I think it is faster in pure acceleration. The ride is harsher than the GT and not near as easy to adjust as the GT. It is also not near as comfortable to ride as the GT as can be expected by the riding position - big difference! There is over a 200 pound difference in the bikes and that does affect the ease of handling. For reference I am 7/10th's rider on the street so others may have different results.

The Factory is my daily commuter and play toy - good for up to 300 miles a day. That being said - if I was going on a multi-day trip the GT would be the motorcycle of choice. What I give up in performance is more than compensated by the comfort and reduced body stress.
My 2 cents,
Bill
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 7:57 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks everyone for the input. Its the R1200S I'd be after, not the K1200S, as two bikes with the same frame and essentially the same motor would be a bit too similar. Yes Pete, the S will be cramped, but there again, they are all a bit cramped, including the LT. The only one that comes close is the GS actually.

One thing that long periods on other bikes has shown me is the importance I place on cruise control. On the VFR and the Multistrada, a considerable amount of energy was spend controlling the speed at 10 over. As I have to ride so far to get to decent roads, I am a little apprehensive of long-term ownership of a non-cruise control bike w.r.t the license/points/insurance etc. There is a good after market electronic control available from Australia, I'll need to see what models its available for.

Jeff, your experience is similar to what my own might potentially be, with an LT and the MV. As I assume you have to go some way from Dallas to get a decent curvey road, how often did you do it? How about you Joe? The Ninja was probably more comfortable than Jeff's MV, so more closely replicates the possible situation in that regard....so how many long/overnight trips to get to good riding did you make on the Ninja while you had the LT?

I'll be demoing the GT when the dealer has one and I am trying the S in the next week or so.

Once again, thanks for your ideas.

Ralph

Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 9:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by longwayfromhome
How about you Joe? The Ninja was probably more comfortable than Jeff's MV, so more closely replicates the possible situation in that regard....so how many long/overnight trips to get to good riding did you make on the Ninja while you had the LT?
I took two longer trips on the Ninja. It was the second one that really got me thinking about replacing it with something that had more wind/rain protection and cruise control. Ergonomically, I could ride the Ninja all day. But the wind would beat me up causing mucho fatigue. And getting caught in a heavy downpour up in the mountains was not that fun either. With the GT, all of those concerns are behind me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode