06 & 07 Brake comparison - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 5:17 pm Thread Starter

06 & 07 Brake comparison

Well, the 07 GT has finally arrived and I can confirm that it has the new non-servo braking system. The easy way to tell is by turning on the ignition and applying the brakes - no servo pump noise. Secondly, (and I am assuming this is part of the braking system) there is a significant difference under the LH side front panels next to the front wheel (see photos). There is a lot more space on the 07 models, with a different fitment there. The first picture is the '06 model, and the second is the '07 model. In terms of braking comparison, the new system is much more linear and progressive than the servo assisted brakes. On the latter, a small movement gave a small amount of braking, but a slightly larger movement gave you a LOT more braking. While you quickly got used to it, it could be disconcerting if you had come from a bike with normal (unassisted) brakes. The new system appears to give braking which is proportional to the pressure on the levers. The foot lever (operating the back brake only) is less effective in my view, but bear in mind these are new brakes, so they may improve. The front lever however, appears to be every bit as good as the old one, and the overall stopping power seems just as good as before. Obviously, with new tyres and brakes I wasn't trying emergency stops yet, but having now scrubbed up the tyres on the ride back from the dealer (a 15 mile trip turned into nearly 70 ) that will start at the weekend, on a parking lot, to get a better feel for the stopping distances. Overall, I like 'em (and there is also the option to retro-fit the ASC next year if you should have that particular desire....!!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06 brake system.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	3350   Click image for larger version

Name:	07 Brake System.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	3351  

Chris D
07 K1200GT SE (Crystal Grey)
(2005 LT is no more)

When everything is coming your way....you're in the wrong lane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 5:38 pm

calling El Jeffe

i wonder if i can get a horn in this "NEW" empty space?

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 BMW K1200GT
'07 MV Agusta Brutale 910R
live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisdy
Well, the 07 GT has finally arrived and I can confirm that it has the new non-servo braking system. The easy way to tell is by turning on the ignition and applying the brakes - no servo pump noise. Secondly, (and I am assuming this is part of the braking system) there is a significant difference under the LH side front panels next to the front wheel (see photos). There is a lot more space on the 07 models, with a different fitment there. The first picture is the '06 model, and the second is the '07 model. In terms of braking comparison, the new system is much more linear and progressive than the servo assisted brakes. On the latter, a small movement gave a small amount of braking, but a slightly larger movement gave you a LOT more braking. While you quickly got used to it, it could be disconcerting if you had come from a bike with normal (unassisted) brakes. The new system appears to give braking which is proportional to the pressure on the levers. The foot lever (operating the back brake only) is less effective in my view, but bear in mind these are new brakes, so they may improve. The front lever however, appears to be every bit as good as the old one, and the overall stopping power seems just as good as before. Obviously, with new tyres and brakes I wasn't trying emergency stops yet, but having now scrubbed up the tyres on the ride back from the dealer (a 15 mile trip turned into nearly 70 ) that will start at the weekend, on a parking lot, to get a better feel for the stopping distances. Overall, I like 'em (and there is also the option to retro-fit the ASC next year if you should have that particular desire....!!)

great write-up
we all appreciate the comparo
i just might have my bike this week...... maybe

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 BMW K1200GT
live like you mean it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 6:46 pm

good to know ....thanks

The dealer I was looking at an '06 sold it (don't have the cash yet or it would have been mine)...so they are building their next allocated bike with the more expensive option package in the color I want. Should be here in Oct.

The dealer did not know if the traction control would end up being a dealer installed option when it is due in the US around Feb '07 (according to him). So it is nice to hear that your '07 can be retrofitted.

I was in the UK in the spring of 2000, spent time around Hook Norton area. The KGT would be a much better bike for the roads than the LT - even on the A roads. I traveled down to Dover bypassing London in a cager going 110 + and I was the slow one. You should have no trouble keeping up with traffic .....

Cheers. wish I could get your 'local ale' here in the U.S. kept me regular as clockwork.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 1:22 pm
Rookie

Is ASC really retrofittable?

If so, I may get a '07 very soon! I'm going to call my dealer back later this afternoon (salesman was "out to lunch" when I called a few minutes ago) and I will probably "stump" him with this simple question.

The one recurring theme on this forum is that a lot of dealers are clueless when it comes to knowlege of the product. Tis a shame.

Mike

2001 FZ1
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 1:44 pm

yes.......
100% retrofitable
who knows how much
there is nothing to that retrofit
one switch installed on the handlebar assempble
and a computer update.....
that's it

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 BMW K1200GT
live like you mean it...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 2:13 pm
Rookie

Hi
Thanks for the detail information about the difference in the braking between the 06 & 07 models. I had been wondering about mine after a ride on the shops demo [ with the servo ] and mine without , so i recon mine will be the 07 version.

Tim

K1200 GT SE
Dark Graphite Metalic
Slate Grey side panels
Small Top Box
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 4:55 am
Veteran

I spent a LOT of money trying to get my ZX-11's brakes to feel like my LTs. I find it humorous at some level that people have an issue with the "non-linear" feel of them. I love them. And the servo-assisted sound doesn't bother me either. In fact, I can't hear it at all when I'm rocking with my iPod! :p

[Hijack]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
i wonder if i can get a horn in this "NEW" empty space?
Now that I'm very acquainted with my '06 GT, I can tell you that there is enough space there on the '06s for a new horn, as well. I don't understand why BMW didn't give us a glove compartment on both sides of the bike. :wtf
Fortunately for me, I have had a custom bag made which I will be posting about shortly.

[/Hijack]
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:15 pm
Enthusiast

Someone posted pics ca. 3 weeks ago showing why you can't have 2 glove boxes...bunch of doo-dads under the plastic on the left side.
Greg

Greg in Norfolk; mine: '06 K1200GT, '02 F650GS; hers: '07 R1200RT, '04 Suzuki Burgman 650
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:24 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC
Someone posted pics ca. 3 weeks ago showing why you can't have 2 glove boxes...bunch of doo-dads under the plastic on the left side.
Greg
Yea...that was ME! :o But now that I'm more acquainted with everything, I see that there actually is room enough for a compartment, if carefully molded. I think they just got lazy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode