Undoing a 7.0 upgrade - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:50 pm Thread Starter

Undoing a 7.0 upgrade

I've concluded that 7.0 was a step backward for me. The GT is now so smooth that it's only exciting at highway speed. Riding in the city used to be much more invigorating with that little bit of lash that accompanied every twist of the throttle. That, and the lags at 3k and 5k rpm, have me completely exasperated. It's as if the bike went from SPORTtouring to sportTOURING. And in doing so, it went from my favorite motorcycle ever to, well, something less.

I test rode an S the other day and it brought back warm memories of my pre-7.0 GT. More kick, that's all.

I understand that the flash upgrade is irreversible. But can I replace the computer itself to restore the mapping? Is it the ECU that holds the software, or some other component? Can someone point me toward a part number and price?

Otherwise, I'm likely going to trade the GT for an S while they're still handing out free Navigator IIIs. It's not worth owning a $20k motorcycle if it doesn't make you tingle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:18 pm

it should be possible =

cmos updates in computers state they are irreversable; however, there are suppliers of products that completely erase the cmos so "any compatable" cmos "flash" can be installed.

I think the dealers don't want to mess with erasing the program and installing any version because of the warranty issue and trying to resolve bikes that behave badly.

There has to be someone on this forum that is in the "know" on how to wipe the memory/program and install what ever version the customer wants. ie. the chip or computer was manufactured without the program (someone or some process) had to install it, so it is kind of a blame excuse to say it can't be re-programmed. IMHO....

Good luck....

If all else fails, try and erase the adaptive memory (pos and neg wires together for over 1/2 hour) = even overnight. and see if that cures some of the ills. Once cleared - begin to ride the bike twisting the throttle to get the zing....put that riding style in it's adaptive memory bank.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickr
If all else fails, try and erase the adaptive memory (pos and neg wires together for over 1/2 hour) = even overnight. and see if that cures some of the ills. Once cleared - begin to ride the bike twisting the throttle to get the zing....put that riding style in it's adaptive memory bank.

Does it really makes a difference whether you touch the pos and neg for 30 min vs. just having the positive undone for 30 min? I'm surprised that the motorcycle would recognize that the pos and neg are in contact with one another . . .

Also, can you tell me more about this adaptive memory, as I don't see anything about it in the official BMW literature.

Thanks clickr...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 8:13 am
Enthusiast

Put some miles on the 7.0. It take the computer awhile to LEARN the new software. I have about 1K on the 7.0 and it keeps getting better. I did about 250 miles yesterday and only noticed the hesitation once. Find some open road (not easy in NJ) and run it to the red line in at least the 1st 3 gears a few times. That seems to help.
My bile is much better with 7.0, I'd never what to go back.
Don't disconnect the battery. Before the 7.0 upgrade my bikes on-off throttle had been getting better with miles, than I did the disconnect thing and I was back to square one. You have to give the computer time to learn the software.

Last edited by billg; Sep 9th, 2006 at 8:23 am.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 9:29 am

discussion with a dealer about mis-behaving bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydogg
Does it really makes a difference whether you touch the pos and neg for 30 min vs. just having the positive undone for 30 min? I'm surprised that the motorcycle would recognize that the pos and neg are in contact with one another . . .

Also, can you tell me more about this adaptive memory, as I don't see anything about it in the official BMW literature.

Thanks clickr...

When I demo'd the KGT at Holt BMW, we discussed the new firmware. He told me the computer had adaptive memory and what that implied stating that inputs to the servo's would come from the adaptive memory first before comming from the firmware. I would consider adaptive memory like a buffer...if someone rides very cautiously never twisting the throttle rapidly or full-turn then all of a sudden the bike gets a full-turn accelleration - the adaptive memory says "hey wait a minute - don't go 100%, give only 80%".

Bottom line was the computer circuit was designed to reset this adaptive memory if the positive and negative cables were in constant contact for over 1/2 hr. Some other threads here have stated 29 minutes and 50 some seconds.

The dealer indicated this procedure would not hurt anything and would give a better indication of how any new upgrade would react to a particular riding style.

Another thing he stressed was to turn on the key and let the bike sit for ten or twenty seconds before starting it. This lets all of the three computers get in sync with the sensors, etc. and the bikes ride better.

In my demo I twisted the throttle in first like I would on my VMax and the bike almost jumped out of my hands, but I did not feel any surges or lack of power at any rpm. Fifth gear from 30 to 110 deliberate roll-on was as smooth as silk and very quick.

I would hope as you do that 7.0 wouldn't make it a dog.

Hope you get the bike to your liking.

Cheers.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:00 am

CLCKR

Was the demo that you rode at Holt updated with the 7.0 ? If it wasn't did you experience
the abrupt throttle response in the low rpm range? My only issues are in the that range,
and I haven't made the final decision to upgrade yet.

Phil
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:15 pm
Enthusiast

Adaptive memory sounds like what I've experienced with my bike. It definitely learns what you expect of it. Maybe doing the battery disconnect would help, just don't expect it to run good right away. It will take a while for the computer to relearn how you ride.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 2:20 pm Thread Starter

Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to get an S. What a beautiful bike. The GT is great and all, but it is no S.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 3:42 pm

my demo

The '06 KGT did not have 7.0 and other than taking off like a skalded dog and the trany clunk,both my wife and I loved how smooth it was. We rode well over an hour and put over fifty miles on it. Two lane twisty, hair pin turns, first thru sixth, mainly in fifth from 30 to 110. Freeway cruise at 80, 6th from 50 to 110 roll on very smooth and very quick. Roll offs and down shifts had no noticible bad effects.

The bike had been in an accident with a deer and had 140 miles on it when we started our demo. Dealer is in the country so there is a good mix of twisties and freeway. Not sure how the other demo riders treated it.

My wife likes to take evening rides, and if it weren't for her riding on the back, the S would be a coin toss. I think resale on the KGT will be higher as everyone they make are being sold. Can't say that for the other models.

Switch to the S but make sure you demo ride the bike you will buy before you give them any money....

Cheers.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 4:32 pm Thread Starter

Getting a gray S. It's just too pretty to pass up. Parked my blue GT next to one and I felt like an old man. I'll ride the new one before signing the papers. I'll trade keys for a loaded S and there won't be much sales tax, pretty much an even swap. S stickers at 18,000 plus alarm plus bags plus Nav III. (Shoulda done this a week ago during promotion.) I told them NOT to upgrade to 7.0. I'll live with it at 6, as that's the way I like it.

Accessories sale to come. Short clear Cee Bailey windscreen. Handlebar bolt covers. Garmin 2820 with BMW GPS mount and BMW GPS wiring cradle. Prices TK. If interested PM...

Bottom line: GT is a great bike. 7.0 is a bit of a mixed bag maybe things would smooth out and maybe not. What I gained from the GT is an appreciation for sporty riding and handling. Now I want a bike that looks like the sportbike it is...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode