K1200GT '06 or '07? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:57 pm Thread Starter

K1200GT '06 or '07?

I'm impatient and want to make a cross country trip before the weather cools any more. I know where I can pick up a new '06 tomorrow. My local dealer is also expecting an '07 "any day". Do significant differences exist between the models? Should I wait for the '07?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 9:55 am

all depends ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailwing
I'm impatient and want to make a cross country trip before the weather cools any more. I know where I can pick up a new '06 tomorrow. My local dealer is also expecting an '07 "any day". Do significant differences exist between the models? Should I wait for the '07?

first off - any day on the '07 could be weeks.

secondly - 07 will be retrofittable with the ASC (stability control - traction control) where as the '06 are not.

if ASC is something you wouldn't buy and the '06 has the goodies ( and color ) you want - grab it before someone else does.

IMHO.

Good luck and good riding.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:28 am
Addict

Quote:

Ask your dealer what he means by any day. If the bike has been invoiced to him, it means it left the wharehouse in NJ, and then it should be less than a week. If its still in Germany, then at least 3 weeks. (This assumes your in the U.S.

Just one data point. My dealer had my bike invoiced to him sept 1. On September 5 I call and he says, probabaly will be about a week 'cause of labor day. SPetember 6 late afternoon he calls and says its here, come get it Saturday at 10:00 am. I'm leaving in 20 minutes to go get it.......

I would wait, no more than 2 weeks.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
Ask your dealer what he means by any day. If the bike has been invoiced to him, it means it left the wharehouse in NJ, and then it should be less than a week. If its still in Germany, then at least 3 weeks. (This assumes your in the U.S.

Just one data point. My dealer had my bike invoiced to him sept 1. On September 5 I call and he says, probabaly will be about a week 'cause of labor day. SPetember 6 late afternoon he calls and says its here, come get it Saturday at 10:00 am. I'm leaving in 20 minutes to go get it.......
I would wait, no more than 2 weeks.

keep us informed
we want ALL the details as our bikes won't be here until next week
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Do you want servo or non-servo brakes? If you are happy with the servo brakes then go for the 06. If you prefer, or are coming from a bike with, standard hydraulic brakes, you might want to take a test ride on the 06 before making your decision. And, as mentioned, ASC can only be retrofitted on the 07 model.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 9:32 pm Thread Starter

I called my local dealer and then passed on the not local '06. The '07 was supposedly invoiced. They expected it last Friday but it didn't show up and are now guessing Wednesday.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 9:42 pm

As much as I love my '06, if I had to make that choice for the same money, I'd buy the '07 . . . just because. Although, I LOVE my servo-assisted brakes.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 3:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
As much as I love my '06, if I had to make that choice for the same money, I'd buy the '07 . . . just because. Although, I LOVE my servo-assisted brakes.
I'd wait a little bit longer for the 07. I think the ASC and new brakes on the 07 will drop the resale values on the 06 models.

Brian
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 4:04 pm
Veteran

"drop the resale values on '06 models"

Brian,

Quite the opposite might occur. it makes the '06 unique and guarantees "known" brake performance. This new system is untried and unproven.

I think BMW has only done this to bring industry "conformity" to their lineup. The old addage; "if you can't beat them, join them" comes to mind. The new system also has the added bonus of costing far less to manufacturer improving margins on their hottest product.

I like my "power-assisted" brakes thank-you. I like them very much. I'm disappointed to see them go. All those new adopters to BMW will never know what they missed; "the world's safest motorcycle braking system".

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 5:09 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
"drop the resale values on '06 models"

Brian,

Quite the opposite might occur. it makes the '06 unique and guarantees "known" brake performance. This new system is untried and unproven.

I think BMW has only done this to bring industry "conformity" to their lineup. The old addage; "if you can't beat them, join them" comes to mind. The new system also has the added bonus of costing far less to manufacturer improving margins on their hottest product.

I like my "power-assisted" brakes thank-you. I like them very much. I'm disappointed to see them go. All those new adopters to BMW will never know what they missed; "the world's safest motorcycle braking system".
Well, I see your point, but I suspect that people will prefer the new system. Good, proportional braking with traction control. I like my servo brakes but hate the whine when I am stopped on a slope. I love the power to stop from high speed but don't like it when I am backing down the slope out of my garage without the ignition on. I've got used to the sharp brakes at low speeds but do we really need servo assistance? If the new system is powerful enough (and I think it will be) and gives the option for traction control I think people will prefer the option.

I guess time will tell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode