relay kit for the Centech - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:06 am Thread Starter

Cool relay kit for the Centech

I am not very electronically savy but do i need a relay kit for the Centech Unit. Can the Centech Unit be connected directly to the battery.

Can i bring the dealer the Centech Unit and will they have the proper Gauge wire to connect to the battery. Do i need to provide the Wire.

Retroboy.

Retroboy
2007 k1200 GT-Dark Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:15 am
Statmaster

If you want switched power (i.e., off the GPS power lead or off the parking lights), you should get a relay.

My mechanic at the dealer had everything he needed to do the install, even the relay.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:20 am Thread Starter

Switched Power.

I assume this will allow me to use the GPS without runnning the bike. What are you running off the relay. Did you run the Gps power straight to the Centech Unit.

Retroboy

Retroboy

Last edited by retroboy; Sep 9th, 2006 at 11:27 am. Reason: Wrong Question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:07 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroboy
I am not very electronically savy but do i need a relay kit for the Centech Unit. Can the Centech Unit be connected directly to the battery.

Can i bring the dealer the Centech Unit and will they have the proper Gauge wire to connect to the battery. Do i need to provide the Wire.

Retroboy.
You can get the relay kit here and you'll need a maxi fuse coming off the battery which you can get here .

You connect the Centech directly to the battery with a maxi fuse and relay it to the fuse box using Joe's (clicky, clicky) schematic.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:16 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroboy
I assume this will allow me to use the GPS without runnning the bike. What are you running off the relay. Did you run the Gps power straight to the Centech Unit.

Retroboy
You relay off a switched circuit, so this won't allow anything from the fuse block to run with the bike shut off. I'll be running my Motolights and socket for heated gear off of the fuse box.... for now.

I'll be running my gps, Autocomm and Valentine One off the plug in front of the battery... which is also switched.

You'll pretty much have to go direct if you want your GPS to run all the time using the Centech.

Another alternative is to use the Painless Fuse Box. It has 4 switched circuits and 3 always hot. That way you have a fused, relayed and protected fuse box that can run an always hot for you.

-=grif=-
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Cool Grif Which Maxi Fuse

The link had several selections. This is like GT FOR DUMMIES. I assume i need atleast a 30 but could use higher.

Thanks

Retroboy

Retroboy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 1:13 pm
Strafist

30 is fine. There are no dummies, unless you're stoopid, like me.

You could always bring it over to my house and I'd save you tons of money and it would be done right. No scotch locks on my bike!

-=grif=-
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 4:13 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up El Jeffe said you may be doing a Tech Session.

Thanks everybody for taking the time out to explain this. I need someway to keep the Centech from remaining hot.

Thanks for the offer and i may take you up on that. I am suppouse to leave on the 30th and ride to San Francisco then back through Colorado, Arkansa and back to Mississippi. I ordered this bike in May and i am still waiting. I am hoping to take possession next weekend.

Jeff said that you are going to do a tech session when you get your bike. If possible i would like to attend.

Again, Thank you for taking the time.

Retroboy

Retroboy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
You connect the Centech directly to the battery with a maxi fuse and relay it to the fuse box using Joe's (clicky, clicky) schematic.
I changed my schemetic. Randy advising tripping the relay from the low-beam headlight, and I agree.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode