HeliBar + Peg Lowering - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 3:37 pm Thread Starter

HeliBar + Peg Lowering

Installed the HeliBar adaptor and the Verholen rider peg lowering kit today. Both appear to be high quality, installed fairly easily and function as advertised.

I must say - for me - the combination is a vast improvement in how I integrate with the bike. Yes, the peg lowering does offset the pegs and the foot brake is a little awkward, but the overall change is worth it - to me - YMMV.

I'm wondering what the collective wisdom is on the best way to adjust the shift lever to accommodate the lower peg position... I see the turnbuckle, but wondered if the spline on the upper attachment at the trans end needs to be repositioned also to maintain the geometry.

IBA 18417
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2006, 7:07 am
Rookie

All I needed to do was loosen the top and bottom lock nuts on the shift linkage, then turn the linkage- you will be surprised at how easy this operation is. You will need to peel over the rubber boot at top and bottom lock nuts to expose the fixed nut that you grip when loosening the lock nuts. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 6:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOlson
Installed the HeliBar adaptor and the Verholen rider peg lowering kit today. Both appear to be high quality, installed fairly easily and function as advertised.

I must say - for me - the combination is a vast improvement in how I integrate with the bike. Yes, the peg lowering does offset the pegs and the foot brake is a little awkward, but the overall change is worth it - to me - YMMV.

I'm wondering what the collective wisdom is on the best way to adjust the shift lever to accommodate the lower peg position... I see the turnbuckle, but wondered if the spline on the upper attachment at the trans end needs to be repositioned also to maintain the geometry.
Chris,

Glad to hear you like the HeliBar and peg lowering. Just received those products today for my soon to be mine GT.

One thing though - you mention the brake being awkward. I was under the impression that this could be adjusted too - much like the shift linkage.

Is this not the case?

Mike

'08 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:51 pm
Rookie

Brake pedal not adjustable. I fabricated my own lowering gizmo (it looks ugly, but does the job)- just a piece of metal I bent to shape and bolted to existing pedal. I am hoping someone like Suburban Machinery or Verholen come out with a solution to this.
Mike
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwaldeck
Brake pedal not adjustable. I fabricated my own lowering gizmo (it looks ugly, but does the job)- just a piece of metal I bent to shape and bolted to existing pedal. I am hoping someone like Suburban Machinery or Verholen come out with a solution to this.
Mike
Lower or wider?

While browsing Verholen's site before I saw a widening kit (URL below) for the old GT, but nothing for 06+ that I've found so far.

http://www.mv-motorrad.de/cosmoshop/...-001.0016,.htm

Mike

'08 K1200GT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:57 pm
Veteran

I just rode with the Heli-Bars this past weekend. What a pleasant ride and no neck pain! Steering seems to be quicker for some reason. Ended up catching up to a FJR1300 and tailing him for 15 miles or so in the mountians. He finally gave up and dived off the road upon a brim.

Didn't feel I needed the lowering kit for the pegs since the Mayer seat raised me up maybe an inch or so.

Heli-Bars are very much worth it!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 7:40 am
Rookie

I needed the brake pedal lowered with the peg lowering kit. Some have noted that they got used to the brake pedal with no adjustment.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 5:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkuhno
One thing though - you mention the brake being awkward. I was under the impression that this could be adjusted too - much like the shift linkage. Is this not the case?
As noted, its not adjustable. After a few days of riding, I've adapted to the brake position...and with the addition of the Pirate's shift lever extender which is not only longer but wider, its almost possible to leave everything alone - almost...

However, as usual when you mod things, one change cascades to another. The shift lever extension and the peg being lower now make it reeeeeeally dificult to get your foot into position to extend the side stand fully down. Time to fabricate an extension.

IBA 18417

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode