GOt a new 07 On Saturday - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 12:19 am Thread Starter
Addict

GOt a new 07 On Saturday

SO this is very similar to a post somewhere else, so I apologize for the cross post. Also some beleive, elsewhere, that there is no way I have an 07. Maroni Sticker, VIN, Swingarm, and No Servo pump noise indicate its an 07....

Graphite, ESA, Computer, Heated Grips and Seat, I added an alarm. All was MRSP, 'cept the alarm was at his cost.

My only previous street bike was a HD sportster (it was never the right bike for me and should have never bought it).

WOW. Get it on the freeway for 5 miles, and take off like a rocket. Smooth. Next thing I know I'm doing 80, OK slow down. Get off the freeway. Take it through town. Then decide to go up Mt Diablo. Nice twisty rode, almost 3500 feet elevation change to the top. I took it easy 20-40 mph (Did not want a ticket). Lots of sportbikes and bicylist. Got above 2500 feet and turned around. Sweet handling. I have a lot to learn and this bike is way more capable than I. So I take a few backroads home. All in an hour.

Ride number 2. Took the side bags off. 10 miles of freeway, with about a 25mph headwind, even with the windscreen up I get some buffetting, but I'm 6'4" so I could proabably use a taller shield. Get off the freeway, and take a nice twisty ride up Redwood Road. Couple sportbikes come up on me and pass. The next straight, I open it up and catch back up. I decide to not let my ego kill me or the bike, so I let them take off.

THe bike is amazing. So after about 20 miles on the this twisty road, back on the freeway and meet the wife for dinner. Head home.

Ride 3. Quick ride at dusk. A somewhat curvy road, Foothill BLvd, near my house. By the time I get there its dark. Need to watch for dear. Have the high beams on doing 45 in a 40. Boom, big buck. Brakes work nice. Buck cannot make his mind up about where to go. FInally heads up the hill. I take it easy for the few miles back home.
Some basic observations.

1) Not sure if I have 7.x software. Like I said, I was so excited at the dealer I did not think to ask. Can I tell or can only the dealer tell? DId not notice any wierd pauses or anything, 'cept once at about 3000.

2) The new brakes work very well. Cannot compare to servo assist. THe tech who prepared my bike, pointed out that he heard a slight ratcheting sound. This is the first of this brake he has dealt with so he assumes its normal?

3) I think I may be one that does not like the seat, but we'll see.

4) THis bike just handles, I think it will out ride me for a long time coming.....

Finally, 3 years ago when I went to the BMW museum in Munich, and just fell in love with the the bikes, I knew I would be an owner one day.....

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 6:02 am

congrats of course

i hope that mine will be here tomorrow.... my dealer doesn't take delivery of new bikes off trucks today.... since service is closed/only sales is open on mondays....
i'll HOPEFULLY be able to get it when i leave work at 12 noon on wednesday
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:55 am Thread Starter
Addict

I hope you get yours in the next day or so, even though it wont be the 07

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:14 am
Strafist

Sure it will be the 07. I'll be getting mine in the next few weeks and the paperwork with the VIN says it an 07. Now, why wouldn't it be?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Sure it will be the 07. I'll be getting mine in the next few weeks and the paperwork with the VIN says it an 07. Now, why wouldn't it be?
I think Mr. hazard is just razzing dear ol' Greggie Poo.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:27 am Thread Starter
Addict

Oops sorry! I was being a bit sarcastic. There was another discussion on anther board where 2 members thought it was impossible that A guy in California could have an 07 GT.

One was based on the fact that a general sales manger from a "darling of BMW NA" delarship told him no 07's were in the US (most car and bike sales guys I ever talked to always say there dealership is the best and like to bluster) . Another came from a guy in Germany. Who claimed that production did not start until the last week in AUgust. Not sure where his info comes from.

However,

The 10'th digit of the VIN says "7" which means its 2007, by US law Although the dealer has 2 years of lattitude on this number. The Marroni sticker, has it as an 07. The bill of sale, and DMV paperwork all say 07. No servo brakes pump noise, unless I'm deaf.... THe production date on the swing arm is stamped 0706, July of 06.

ANyway, Greg was involved with the thread defending my positistion, hence the rolled up eyes on the icon. BTW greg's and my VIN are only 30 off in the 2 far right posistions.....

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:30 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
The 10'th digit of the VIN says "7" which means its 2007, by US law Although the dealer has 2 years of lattitude on this number. .
Oops,

SHould not say "dealer", but should say manufacturer has 2 years of lattitude on year code in the VIN.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:31 am

I'm wondering if there's going to be a faster way to discern the '06s from the '07s. Maybe a difference of the calipers themselves, would be my first suspicion. Can you take some pics of the calipers (front and rear) when you get a moment?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I think Mr. hazard is just razzing dear ol' Greggie Poo.
i'm so buried in vomiting kids today that it didn't razz me one bit....
sorry to disappoint you :p

i hope that the bike will be there at 900am tomorrow
but....
only time will tell

there is farkling to do before i pick it up:
1. motolights
2. find a place to put an after-market horn
3. marsee corona bag.... not sure which one yet
4. larger top case
5. version 7.0 update... for sure
6. bmw nav iii installation

i hope to pick it up by 2pm on wednesday....
then, thursday morning.... i'm going to ride to georgia, i think.....
maybe not to tellico plains, though
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 12:04 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I'm wondering if there's going to be a faster way to discern the '06s from the '07s. Maybe a difference of the calipers themselves, would be my first suspicion. Can you take some pics of the calipers (front and rear) when you get a moment?

Won't be for a day or two, but yes I'll try.

Oh yeah one other thing, the back of the seat has a bunch of stickers, and mention the model number as an 2007.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode