'06 GT - Failed rear drive - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:47 am Thread Starter

'06 GT - Failed rear drive

I hesitate to post this, as I'm dealing with second hand information. However, I think we all need to be aware of this ...

Saturday, I was visiting with another '06 k1200GT owner at my local dealer's place prior to the club meeting. He informed me that his new GT had been in the repair shop for a week due to a failed rear drive. He noticed no symptoms, but the service department found it when he brought his bike in to do the 7.0 update. He says that he has about one thousand miles on the bike. He said that the rear wheel showed barely visible movement when rocked, but the mechanic was adamant that it be replaced. However, there were no rear drives for the GT in the US, so he's waiting for parts from Germany. He claimed there was no fluid leak, or unusual noise. (He isn't an experience rider, nor does he have many miles on his GT, so he may not recognize an unusual noise?!)

I've not heard of anyone else having a problem with this, so it's probably a fluke, especially with such low miles. I've only got a little over 6K miles on mine, but it checks out fine (so far?!) My wife's GT is also fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 12:13 pm

That certainly is an odd story. Keep us informed as it unfolds.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 2:17 pm
I'm riding

Is there a chance that the dealer wants to gain some bucks from BMW? That the drive itself is O.K.? The parts are supplied free of charge but the job cost will be invoiced to BMW? Or the parts could be used later on the paid basis? I am not an expert in this field, it's just a question.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 4:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
Is there a chance that the dealer wants to gain some bucks from BMW? That the drive itself is O.K.? The parts are supplied free of charge but the job cost will be invoiced to BMW? Or the parts could be used later on the paid basis? I am not an expert in this field, it's just a question.
No chance. These folks are honorable people. Besides, Don said he saw the wheel wiggle himself, once the service tech showed him what to look for.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 5:14 pm

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
I can't imagine my dealer or any other UK dealer doing this. BMW sells on the reputation of the bikes and the reputation of the aftercare, or at least it does in the UK.

Brian
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 7:06 pm

glad it got caught.

Even though you have downtime - my opinion is you are fortunate to have the dealer/mech. catch it. Just make sure you change the gear lube on the new one around 500-600 miles to flush out the crap.

Cheers.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 1:20 am
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipenslippers
I can't imagine my dealer or any other UK dealer doing this. BMW sells on the reputation of the bikes and the reputation of the aftercare, or at least it does in the UK.

Brian
Brian,

I am not so optimistic about all the dealers. I had rather opposite experience with the dealer in London - I was misled on VAT refund buying Nav III. Maybe because I was a foreign tourist? :-)

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 6:14 am
Just saying hey

translation of a similar problem in the GT
Hari Dukes

There start to hear a noise new, and peculiar. Single it did when falling down in the curves, and from very low speed. It was not necessary to make great peculiarly fallen down so that it left the noise, and to the 2 sides equal. So I called to my BMW attendance in Spain and they said to me that it went to me to Insbruck if moto could walk. This was the 4 of afternoon of Monday 14 of August. I arrived on the following day at the concessionaire of Insbruck to 17:00, being celebration like here in Spain, and closed to that same hour. Total, that proves moto, hears the noise, but they did not see absolutely anything. All this in perfect German, clear. Until one of the mechanics raises it the small horse and detects a movement in the wheel of back of 5mm. approximately INCREDIBLE. In order to kill itself, we go. At those moments moto had on 7000 kms. Total, that says to me that Wednesday looks for a solution to me, that they do not have the piece and that they will see that they can do. The attendance of BMW says correctly to me, that it looks for a rent car to me, and the attendance of the insurance that looks for a hotel to me, and that sends the invoices to them (we will see what happens with these invoices). For Wednesday to 9:00 already they had undressed a GT that they had in exhibition and the differential in mine was mounting me. Impressive. To 10:00 in the morning it left with moto neat, when I realized that the small noise of the clutch was very many greater than when I left it. The comment to the one of the concessionaire, and says me that that is necessary to change it, but that that if that takes one week in arriving, and which it is not possible to be cleared to same that the differential, since the screws must be new. Total, that I say to him that it is worth, that I hold until Monday or Tuesday, but that while I will try to look for another solution. Indeed, the solution I found it in Munich, the central concessionaire motorrad. Impressive. Worthy to see. I do not have words to describe that. It is what to all we would like to have. By the way, if somebody is thinking about buying motos in Germany, that goes that way. They had 3 gt 2006, with 3000 kms. the one that more, to 14.000 full-it equips. But good, to the failure, according to I called to them from Insbruck, they said to me that they had to put the oil clutch during 24 hours before mounting it in moto, and that put it at that same moment, but that happens to me when it wants. Fu, I left my moto, and immediately the uncle of conce came with a nuevita Rt, so that Munich knew, and they served the anchorages to me as my suitcases. On the following day they gave my Gt to me with the changed clutch.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 8:18 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by haridukes
translation of a similar problem in the GT
Hari Dukes

There start to hear a noise new, and peculiar. Single it did when falling down in the curves, and from very low speed.
After reading this post early this morning, I mounted Katie for my morning pilgrimage to the office. At about 30 mph in 2nd gear as I tip the bike left to right swerving up the road I can hear a distinct "howl/rubbing" sort of noise every time the bike drops over to the left or right. Although the left sounded more predominant.

As I ramped up to the expressway, I was quite nervous about a sudden rear drive lock up. It ruined my usually exhuberant/invigorating ride into the office.

Can others please verify whether or not they're experiencing this same sound?

If I centerstand the bike, is there some side-to-side movement I'm looking for if I have this problem?

The bike has 7K on it. Rear drive oil has never been changed. First service was performed. at 750 km. Have done my own oil change subsequently at 6.5K (all figures in kilometres).

Thanks for your input.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 8:53 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
...At about 30 mph in 2nd gear as I tip the bike left to right swerving up the road I can hear a distinct "howl/rubbing" sort of noise every time the bike drops over to the left or right. Although the left sounded more predominant.
Can others please verify whether or not they're experiencing this same sound?

If I centerstand the bike, is there some side-to-side movement I'm looking for if I have this problem?
Sure it isn't tire howl your hearing from the tread pattern?

Try rocking your rear wheel while on the center-stand. Shouldn't be any play. You might want to change the final drive oil and see what comes out. I'm thinking of doing mine this weekend if I can find the proper oil. I went 4 car places and three bike shops (no BMW dealer here) and came up empty. Only close gear oil is Mobil 1 75-90wt. at PepBoys which I may have to use (used it in my RT up to 100K miles). No Castrol anywhere, nor Red Line, nor Amsoil, Spectrol, Blue-Ray, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode