Passenger Powerlet Suggestions? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

Passenger Powerlet Suggestions?

Hi All,

Was up at my dealer Saturday test riding their GT again (mine is arriving in port today, but I couldn't resist!) and my wife and I noticed that there's no rear power point. As it's getting cooler (and who doesn't like to have heat when it gets cold) I started looking for a clean mounting location for another accessory outlet.

Has anyone checked into this already and found a good location for a powerlet port for the passenger?

Seems ludicrous that BMW wouldn't have designed one into the bike, but.....

Mike

'08 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:44 pm
Veteran

You can add one of the 48" lead Powerlet.com socket accessory kits to either of the two extra knock-out holes down where the existing one is. Just snake the white plug end to the outlet down from above the ABS unit (you need to pull the left fairing panel) to where the socket panel is. Take out the screws holding the socket panel and install the socket. The leads are attached directly to the battery with the attached spade-lug connectors. Don't forget to install the fuse! Might want to use some dielectric grease on the connectors while you're down there.

I'd allow yourself 2 hours if you've never had the panel off before. It's got a lot of screws! I used double-stick Velcro and stuck the Powerlet.com fuse-holder on top of the battery. You might want to install two Powerlet sockets if you run a lot of heated clothing. Mine (stock outlet) was cutting out with just the Gerbing's jacket liner and gloves. Much warmer with the Powerlet socket directly wired to the battery.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
You can add one of the 48" lead Powerlet.com socket accessory kits to either of the two extra knock-out holes down where the existing one is. Just snake the white plug end to the outlet down from above the ABS unit (you need to pull the left fairing panel) to where the socket panel is. Take out the screws holding the socket panel and install the socket. The leads are attached directly to the battery with the attached spade-lug connectors. Don't forget to install the fuse! Might want to use some dielectric grease on the connectors while you're down there.

I'd allow yourself 2 hours if you've never had the panel off before. It's got a lot of screws! I used double-stick Velcro and stuck the Powerlet.com fuse-holder on top of the battery. You might want to install two Powerlet sockets if you run a lot of heated clothing. Mine (stock outlet) was cutting out with just the Gerbing's jacket liner and gloves. Much warmer with the Powerlet socket directly wired to the battery.
Thanks for this info - but I was asking about locating a powerlet out back on the tail - like on an LT/RT for the passenger.

It's a long reach to the existing power points, and my wife isn't going to like me telling her to deal with it!

Mike

'08 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 7:14 am
Veteran

There are lot's of spaces in the back. I would suggest mounting it beside the rear seat heat control. That panel seems to offer some room for that.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 8:04 am

I have one back next to the seat heater switch (or at least I will in a few days) and I also have a bulkhead socket for the Baehr. Plenty of room and you should be able to get it mounted without removing any tupperware.

Brian
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 4:32 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Chris and Brian!!

Yes, was just up at the dealer and think that seems to be the best location as well....somewhere on that back deck - either 'riders side' or same side as the heater.

Also, am going to rewire the cigarette plug to the 90 degree Powerlet adapter so it provides more clearance.

Now if I can just find an Autocom bulkhead adapter, I'd be all kinds of set!!!!!

Mike

'08 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode