side stand too short? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

side stand too short?

Is it just me, or is the side stand just a tad too short - i.e. the bike seems to lean over more than any other I've owned.

It can be quite a pull to get it upright on level ground let alone a small downslope. Even more so when when loaded for a week's ride. Now, I gotta say I'm not a huge fellow - 5'9" and 170 ... but I've never had this problem before with any other bike.

Use the center stand you say ? ... well, as has been discussed before - its not an easy do either ... more so for me since I don't like taking the bike off the center stand when standing along side and then getting on. Besides, never had to do that before either.

Anyone else with this side stand problem and/or any fix??

IBA 18417
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 10:32 pm

I noticed that immediately

I noticed that the first time I sat on One. I am a small guy and worried about the bike being to heavy. I wonder if the quickstand can be adjusted or replaced.

Retroboy

Retroboy
2007 k1200 GT-Dark Graphite
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:06 pm
Just saying hey

Side stand too short?

Not that this will help much, but here is a bit of background for you. One of the major knocks on the 98-03 K12RS is that the side stand was too long. The bike would fall over if not parked just right, in fact many were damaged by rolling forward off the stand.

I believe BMW reacted to these complaints and made sure the new GT did not have that problem. I for one am pleased with the change, although I still make darn sure that if not on level ground, I park uphill. Otherwise of course, I back in.

A couple of things you might try (or perhaps already have) would be to lift the bike off the stand using more of your leg strength. Or try the seat in the lower position to give you more leverage.

And make sure if you haven't already, get yourself a pad for the kickstand for soft dirt or hot asphalt.

9baller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2006, 12:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9baller
A couple of things you might try (or perhaps already have) would be to lift the bike off the stand using more of your leg strength. Or try the seat in the lower position to give you more leverage.

And make sure if you haven't already, get yourself a pad for the kickstand for soft dirt or hot asphalt.

9baller
Good suggestions, but BTDT ... I guess its time for a custom "fat foot" that not only is wider, but also thicker.

IBA 18417
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2006, 7:20 am

I wasn't having much trouble picking it up off the stand, but I was worried about all the weight on such a small foot. It sinks in hot asphalt like butter.

I did this:

It's about 75% bigger now, which seems to be enough. It doesn't help with the height, but I don't have to hunt down a soda can every time I park.

Don't know why BMW made the foot so small. There's plenty of room to go much larger than I did, and still not interfere with anything while its retracted.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:30 am

Show me a motorcycle forum, and I'll show you a group where 33% think the sidestand is too short, 33% that thinks the sidestand is too long, and 33% that thinks it's just right.

Too short is a much easier problem to deal with than too long. Take it to a local welder and let the guy have some fun. Problem solved.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2006, 1:25 pm
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOlson
Anyone else with this side stand problem and/or any fix??
+1

But I got used to it. Once almost dropped the bike due to hot asphalt - it was real butter-knife situation - so had to carry a piece of plastic with me to put it under the stand.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2006, 5:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOlson
Use the center stand you say ? ... well, as has been discussed before - its not an easy do either ... more so for me since I don't like taking the bike off the center stand when standing along side and then getting on. Besides, never had to do that before either.
Chris,

I'd recommend getting seated on the bike and then <hump> it forward (sorry to the potentially easily offended) to pop it off the centerstand.

It takes a little bit of force, and wont work if you park the nose in an uphill position, but is much better than pulling off center standing next to the bike.

Trust me, it can be done. I did it for years on a K1200LT and I'm about the same size as you - well, 5'7 or 8" on a good day. Just remember, don't park the nose on an uphill position if you're going to use the centerstand.

I'd hate to see a future post where you tell us how you dropped that baby standing next to it after center stand dismount

Mike

'08 K1200GT
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 1:17 am
Addict

Unhappy

Re the foot for the side stand, is any one making these now to suit the new GT?
I agree totally, it's bloody stupid engineering / design to make the foot on a large capacity touring orientated machine so small. I live in the bush, and have to always look at the bike or open my rolladoor really fast incase of my bike falling over due to sinking in the grass / dirt. Hot ashphelt is a daily occurence here in the tropics.
Best wishes all.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 6:58 am
Veteran

I understand Wunderlich should have one available very shortly.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode