valves adjustment - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2006, 1:39 pm Thread Starter
I'm riding

Question valves adjustment

I am planning a trip to Ukraine next week and want to do my 10K(6K-miles) service in Kiev, there is a BMW dealer. I called them to clear up the situation and was told that "..in case the technician hears the necessary sound - he would do the valve adjustment"?! I was puzzled: could it be true? To adjust the valves at 6000 miles? Then I checked the RepROM CD and called my dealer here - 40000 km(24K miles) is the most probable milage. At 6K there is no need to listen just to read the computer.
So could it be true - 6K valves adj? Or it's a dark side of monopolization( there is only one BMW dealer in that city)?

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2006, 1:42 pm

I was planning on taking my bike in this week to have the 12k service done, but was told they had to order a shim kit for the valves, because it 'would' need it. I don't think it was done at the 6k service, but I am not certain of that.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2006, 2:56 pm

I just had my 6K service done yesterday. No valve adjustments were needed. I wouldn't expect you would need any adjustments before 12K miles. But, I guess that would depend on how you ride it.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2006, 4:25 pm

I was told by my dealer that the computer does some automajical calculations based on your driving and tells the service tech when you need the valve adjustment. He said that it could happen anywhere from 12k miles to 30k miles depending on how you drive.

Brian
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2006, 5:03 pm
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
I was told by my dealer that the computer does some automajical calculations based on your driving and tells the service tech when you need the valve adjustment. He said that it could happen anywhere from 12k miles to 30k miles depending on how you drive.

Brian
Same in my REPROM. I also looked at the procedure, which also requires a pressurized setup to refill the cooling system once the radiator is reinstalled. The 6K service is cheap, mine was $130 for the 6K w/synthetic and the final drive oil change, but changing the plugs or doing a valve adjustment is going to be painful.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2006, 5:57 pm

adjustment or "read" that is the question

Pre-sales dealer gave me three pages of Maintenance schedules.

Running-in Check
annual inspection initially at 6,000 and then every 12,000
every 12,000

600 has no mention of valve check

6,000 "reading out countdown distance to next valve-clearance check"

12,000 same "text"

so...it would seem the computer tells the tech when an actual mechanical check should be done based on how the bike has been ridden (how many times have you red-lined the suckker). Holt Bmw confirmed the computer diagnostics when I was discussing it with him. He said based on the other bikes using the same engine...depending on how the bike is ridden a valve check/adjustment may never be necessary. Hi revs either going up or down in gears puts a lot of strain and stress on the valve train parts.

that being said...checking the valves should be easier than physically adjusting the valve (lash) as adjusting may require different shims and special tools.

I for one would want to be able "check" the valve lash prior to the 6,000 or 12,000 service to check the tech so to speak and determine a baseline. If I measured and came up with good numbers and the dealer said ajustment was necessary I would call them on it.

Best thing to do is "talk" to the dealer and ask specifically what they are going to do before leaving the bike with them. This way you know what you are getting into.

Hope you have good outcome...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2006, 6:04 pm

Mine didn't need valves adjusted at 6K . . . and I've ridden this girl HARD!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2006, 9:49 pm
Telepathetic

No adjustment needed at my 6K mile service. Tech said more likely in the 20K+ mile range. I suspect the intended dealer is taking capitalism to a new level.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 2:06 am Thread Starter
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
No adjustment needed at my 6K mile service. Tech said more likely in the 20K+ mile range. I suspect the intended dealer is taking capitalism to a new level.
+1 Me too!!
Plus the cost is double there =USD300,-(without valve clearance).

So I will do a kind of early-6K service at my dealer before the trip and then will do another service upon return. All in all I will have to change the oil prior to winter storage.

Many thanks to everyone :-))

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2006, 9:17 am Thread Starter
I'm riding

Did 6K service today. No valve adjustment needed. Costed USD130,-

The dealer intended to upgrade 7.0 even without asking me(free of charge). I am happy that he mentioned it so I had a chance to prohibit to do anything with the ECU. :-))

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode