I got a Lemon - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 9:13 am Thread Starter

I got a Lemon

Guess I am the one who go the KGT Lemon. I bought the bike back in May and had to bring it in for a problem with the shifting indicator, earlier reported on this forum, at 3700miles. This past weekend I was already to go on a 911 charity ride when the bike shut down when put into gear. It would shut down like the kick stand was down, which of course was the first thing I thought, but the kick stand was up. I played with the sensor but was unable to put the bike in gear without it shutting down. So, I had to put it in the back of my truck and bring it to the local dealer.
Here's the kicker, the tech got on the bike and it worked fine. They spent all day Sat. working on it but could not duplicate the problem. The tech told me that the computer showed that the problem did happen but could not tell me why it happened. I took my bike back and decided to go on a breakfast ride first this Sunday morning.
With 5000 miles I took my bike for a ride and 20 miles from home the bike just died. Same problem, I started the bike and it would shut down when I put it into gear. Called roadside assistance and within 1hr the bike was on it way to the dealer, who is closed Sun and Mon. of course.
I have sent a letter to BMW of America and still waiting to hear from the dealer on what the problem is. I will let you know what BMW says to my complaint about the bike being a Lemon. It does fall under the lemon law for Massachusetts. I have really lost my confidence in taking this bike for a long ride.
Hope everyone else is having fun riding this Fall......

12' R1200GS Rallye
08' K1200GT (traded)
06' Audi A4 3.2Q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 9:32 am

I think you are right on track with the process.
Really not much to do other than being firm and direct with BMW about the facts of the problems you are having.

Fight the good fight, make them treat you right, and remind them that your $20,000.00+
is sitting just fine in their pockets with no warranty issues at all.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:15 am

I'm sorry...but I have to disagree. Unless I've missed something, calling this bike a "lemon" is a bit of a stretch IMO. I guess I need to go back and read about your prior issus(s)...but this obviously sounds like your kickstand switch is failing intermittently. Big freakin' whoop! Yes, I realize that you spent a lot of money. But how about a little grace? My cruise control switch acted up on me. With the cruise engaged, if I so much as touched any controls on the left handlebar, the cruise would shut off. Fortunately for me, the tech was able to witness the problem first hand. Unfortunately for you, your bike didn't act up when you took it in the first time. Personally, I think you screwed up by taking the bike back without having them fix something, replace something, ANYthing!

--------------------

OK...went back and read about your first issue. IMO the biggest problem with that issue was that it took your dealer NINE days to get the bike fixed. :wtf That's the unacceptable part. And now, they released a bike to you without fixing it, causing even more headaches and heartaches down the road for you. You don't have a lemon. You have a crappy dealer. Let me guess. It's the only one you have to choose from? I hope not.

Sorry if I came off strong in the first paragraph. But I still don't think you have a "lemon". Your dealer is in question, at this point.

Whatever you do from this point on, (if at all possible) try to keep your cool. Nobody likes helping a raging lunatic. Unless of course, they're holding a really big gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:18 am
Statmaster

Scotty,

If you start conversations with BMWNA regarding your bike, use the term "collateral substitution" with them. That is the term that will get BMW thinking about replacing your bike with another K1200GT. It's not like you are asking for your money back. You want a bike you can trust and rely on during your next ride. The current one has not been fixed, despite being at the dealer multiple times.

Good Luck!

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 1:09 pm
Rookie

sorry to hear of your aggravation. trust me, i've been well down this road w/ my 04' kgt; you can read the laundry list of warranty problems i endured so far. fyi, establish your dialog w/ customer service advocate of bmw na. insist that the regional rep. come and inspect your problem at the dealership. leaving the dealership to relate your angst to na. is like letting the inmates run and report on how the landscape looks at the asylum. the regional rep. is the 1st leg in getting na. to sit up and take notice. insist on a comparable loaner while yours is in the shop. demand immediate attention= 1st in line for service and overnighting all parts needed for warranty correction. your dealer gets reimbursed of course for warranty service, although at a lower shop rate than what they most likely charge off the street= the squeaky wheel gets the work done first.

your problem so far does not sound like lemon to me. reoccurrence w/ the same problem or multiple unrelated problems seem to add up for na. of course you should fire up the volume when your bike fails in traffic and your entire life flashes before your eyes. and finally if there is anything at all that constitutes an unsafe/ non compliant condition, have that thing towed in; do not drive it!

post script on my 04" kgt: on or about 7/10/06 i returned my bike to n. slc bmw as it was starting to sound like 68' evinrude out board. lots of vibration/noise and little low end power in the 1st 3 gears. turns out counter shaft had gotten out of alignment/ started grinding and there was now metal throughout engine. this occurred @ barley 31k miles. bmw then recommended a new short blk replacement. i pushed for a buy out. it took quite a few phone calls but in the end na. did offer me a fair buy back w/ a reduced msrp on a new 07' replacement.

fight the good fight brotha, and document, document, call, call, and never take average for an answer.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 9:15 pm

You've got a faulty side stand switch; just have them replace it even if it's not acting up for them.
Greg
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 9:22 am Thread Starter

Just an Update

I got my bike back and according to the dealer the problem was diagnosed and fixed. Above the shifter is a plastic cover, behind that cover is the wiring harness for the side stand kill switch which run up and under the seat. That wiring harness apparently was not installed correctly at the factory and the insulation got stripped and grounded out. The dealer said they ran a battery of tests on the switch and wiring harness and everything is good. They fixed the stripped insulation and told me is was all fixed.

When I arrived at the dealer the service manager went over everything with me and gave me a $200.00 gift certificate from BMW to use at their dealership. Not that it solved the problem of losing some really good days of riding up here in New England but I thought it was a nice gesture.

Just wanted to pass along the update. I have sent BMW a letter about the problems and kept all the service paperwork, just incase there are further issues.

12' R1200GS Rallye
08' K1200GT (traded)
06' Audi A4 3.2Q
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvr52
I got my bike back and according to the dealer the problem was diagnosed and fixed. Above the shifter is a plastic cover, behind that cover is the wiring harness for the side stand kill switch which run up and under the seat. That wiring harness apparently was not installed correctly at the factory and the insulation got stripped and grounded out. The dealer said they ran a battery of tests on the switch and wiring harness and everything is good. They fixed the stripped insulation and told me is was all fixed.

When I arrived at the dealer the service manager went over everything with me and gave me a $200.00 gift certificate from BMW to use at their dealership. Not that it solved the problem of losing some really good days of riding up here in New England but I thought it was a nice gesture.

Just wanted to pass along the update. I have sent BMW a letter about the problems and kept all the service paperwork, just incase there are further issues.
glad it is fixed
i'm sure your bike will be fine now

just go out and ride the greatest bike on the road
your problems were minimal, in the end....

enjoy
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 1:49 pm
Enthusiast

Scotty PM me so I know what dealer to watch out for. Us NE need to stick together.

06 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 2:39 pm
Rookie

Hi
Just back from a 10 day tour in Europe with friends and my friend with a K12 S had a couple of glitches. One was losing the neutral light and the bike was taken to a localish Spanish dealership [ Belmoto, Murcia ] The man who helped was telling us that the K12 S had a problem with the neutral indicator and they had replaced 5 others already this year before my friends and that BMW were aware of the problem. Now i know yours is the GT and ours could still be started in neutral, but could it be the same problem, the bike was recovered straight away in Spain. I don't know if this is relevent to your problem but i hope it maybe.

Yours Tim

K1200 GT SE
Dark Graphite Metalic
Slate Grey side panels
Small Top Box

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode