my '07 GT is home.... first impressions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 7:21 pm Thread Starter

my '07 GT is home.... first impressions

it's been a long day
but.....
a few first impressions as i got home 15 minutes ago.... and my wife isn't happy i'm already typing

the bike IS an '07
teves brakes
no servo
option package 2
heated grip/seats
ESA
computer
cruise control
NAV III
49L (large) topcase
dark graphite metallic

1. a quiet bike... i've never been on a bike where you can't "feel" the bike going into first

2. the famous END OF LEVER TRAVEL clutch engagement which DRIVES ME NUTS !!!

3. little motor noise/no induction noise/i've been spoiled by the MV Brutale 910R

4. went to 7,000rpm.... there wasn't room for more.... 25 mile ride home

5. the motor is strong.... i'll look forward to exploring that soon.... again, the Brutale 910R has spoiled me.... so, the GT won't really "feel" fast to me... sorry

6. the bike feels LIGHT AS A FEATHER, after 5mph... really FLICKABLE, but the LONGISH wheelbase still keeps the bike stable... we laughed about a large bike with a long wheelbase needing a steering dampener a while back.... i could ACTUALLY see that being true, quite frankly

7. the brakes are what a bike ought to have..... this is "linear" re-defined.... nothing like those with the servos.... which i STILL like.... these just feel like strong brakes.... very strong and very linear

8. the seat..... who knows.... i've also been "spoiled" by the 910R..... who's seat sucks more than any BMW ever could and i've ridden THAT one 350 miles.... so, this one will be fine for a while... one problem is that the graphite bike..... which is freakin' gorgeous..... has the LIGHT COLORED GRAY SEAT.... which will be dirty in 10 minutes, but will be a bit cooler when left in the sun, i suppose

9. i am 5'6"/27.5" inseam..... a short guy... got the LOW screen.... i don't know what to make of it.... 12 miles of my ride home were on the interstate... up to 90mph...
screen down... noisy/breezy
screen up.... i could STILL see over the screen and very loud unless i ducked down about 3-4 inches... which SHOCKED me. of course i'll be buying a CB aftermarket screen
how big?
who freakin' knows
I wish..... I REALLY WISH that i could go riding with 10 guys on GTs.... all with different CB screens and see which one i like best..... XANADU and UNobtainable, of course

10. the transmission... this bike has the LONGEST "THROWS" of any shift lever on a bike i've ever experienced. this is the polar opposite of the SNICK-SNICK of any sportbike on the market. it is BUTTERY SMOOTH with very positive engagement of EACH gear.... missed NO gears..... the lever must move at least 4 inches.... ridiculous, quite frankly

11. the lights... haven't been out at night. motolights/caliper-mounted... already installed. i'll let you know when i ride at night. one thing.... i had the high beams on.... while riding home and NOT ONE PERSON flashed me..... that, I DON'T LIKE. of course we can't get xenon lights in the US.... but, maybe one day BMW will make lights for their bikes as good as the ones on their cars.... some of which cost very little more than this GT

12. the dashboard. i was wearing maui jim sunglasses... which are polarized and my Shoei RF 900 helmet and CLEAR shield.... with the sun IN MY EYES, i could NOT see the computer screen at all... maybe there is a brightness adjustment... but i think it's all automatic....... i'll get back to you on this one. i like the computer... useful info.... i LOVE outdoor temp

13. cruise control..... NO ONE DOES IT BETTER.... i wouldn't have another touring bike without it..... this is what made me get rid of the GS.... perfect

14. fit and finish..... typical bmw.... hence, the best on the market, IMHO

that's enough for now
if you have specific questions..... please ask

in the end....
i love the bike
THIS is the bike BMW has built after finally listening to its customers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 7:28 pm
Addict-oholic

Glad you really really like this bike. As time goes on, you will love it even more. it is so easy to ride and so nimble.
Do you have 7.0 ?

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 7:40 pm
Enthusiast

Greg,

Nice review. Trash the maui jim's and your screen will be fine. I really don't think they know how to make eyewear at all. I hated mine within one week of purchase and was not happy again till they fell off into the water in Aruba. I wouldn't waste the effort to bend over and pick them up. I'll take Serengeti Drivers anyday.

Good luck with your new ride.

El Barto
Ride fast.......Get there before the accident!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
Glad you really really like this bike. As time goes on, you will love it even more. it is so easy to ride and so nimble.
Do you have 7.0 ?

i knew i forgot something
no time to do the update
i have 6.0
the bike smooth as silk
i now know that i don't give a darn about 7.0
i'll worry about it another time
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Greg - You really don't want to wear polarized glasses while riding since they hide oil on the road...bad thing. Yeah, messes up seeing the gauges and the gps too.
Goodness and I thought I was the only one with a short inseam. You have the standard seat? Take it for a long one and see if your circulation is cut off...that WAS my problem.
Cheers, Greg C.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 8:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC
Greg - You really don't want to wear polarized glasses while riding since they hide oil on the road...bad thing. Yeah, messes up seeing the gauges and the gps too.
Goodness and I thought I was the only one with a short inseam. You have the standard seat? Take it for a long one and see if your circulation is cut off...that WAS my problem.
Cheers, Greg C.
i DO have the standard seat.... but i can get most of both feet down at a red light
i'll be riding 250 miles on saturday
i'll see how it goes
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 8:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
i DO have the standard seat.... but i can get most of both feet down at a red light
i'll be riding 250 miles on saturday
i'll see how it goes
But, don't wear the polarized glasses, okay? Get some nice Ray Bans...retro is in.
Greg
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 8:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW

no time to do the update
i have 6.0
WHAT!?

The bike came in w/ 6.0??

OK, well maybe since my bike sat around in Germany for 2+ weeks before hitting the boat it will have been pre-loaded w/ 7.0.....but then again, it's not like the dealership can't do it.

Sounds good Greg.

Question again though - how are you triggering the MotoLights? Autoswitch or separate switch?? Mounting position???

Mike

'08 K1200GT
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Barto
Greg,

Nice review. Trash the maui jim's and your screen will be fine. I really don't think they know how to make eyewear at all. I hated mine within one week of purchase and was not happy again till they fell off into the water in Aruba. I wouldn't waste the effort to bend over and pick them up. I'll take Serengeti Drivers anyday.

Good luck with your new ride.
they have worked well on the water and when driving in the rain.... in the car
i used to have serengetis.....

i DO have some expensive harley NON-polarized glasses i bought at a H-D dealer once when i had forgotten my own glasses

maybe i'll try those

thanks for the thoughts
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC
But, don't wear the polarized glasses, okay? Get some nice Ray Bans...retro is in.
Greg
they will stay in the car, where they belong
or..... better yet.... on the boat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode