Squirrely front end - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2006, 9:09 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Squirrely front end

Hi guys. Just wondering if any of you might have some input here.
I carry my backpack with my powerbook in my topcase. Weight of the pack is ~15lbs. Since I replaced the BT 020 @ 700 miles with a Metzeler m1 due to a flat, it seems I've noticed this slight 'squirrely movement' of the front end. I've also noticed some cupping of the front tire which is still a BT 020.
Here's a picture of the tire at 3200miles:
I'm scheduled to replace both with Z6's this afternoon. Anybody have any similar occurrences?
Thanks,
Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2006, 10:13 am
Veteran

That's pretty much the standard wear pattern exhibited on many bikes - not only BMW. In the tire industry they call it heel-toe wear.

My local tire shop guru says it happens even on car and truck tires that have the little "islands" like yours now has. They rock on braking and wear off the ends of the islands. The only thing you can do is look for a tire that doesn't have that "island pad" appearance. Maybe your Z6, or better yet a non-metal belted Avon AV-45 would exhibit the wear less (not as rigid and may flex better than a steel belt that would rub off the rubber easier). No doubt there are others.

I'm not really partial to tires that have the tread criss-crossing in the middle either. Too much buzziness in the bars for me.

imho...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2006, 10:23 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Gmack.
Carl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode